1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Virtual Machine on Hypervisor on Cluster

Discussion in 'Cluster Computing' started by quirk, May 8, 2012.

Hey guys!
    (my first post here, just wanted to throw an idea out their and get some advice on it!)

I'd like to begin a project this coming year of designing and building my own cluster.

I'd like to build a cluster of Rasberrypi chips (credit card sized linux boxs: rasberrypi dot org)

I'd like to run a bare bones hypervisor directly on these nodes,
    and then run run a linux install on the hardware simulated by the hypervisor. (perhaps a windows install, perhaps both)

I currently do not have experience with cluster computing other than what I've researched online.
    I have some experience with several flavors of linux and different virtual machines.

Questions, comments, objections, suggestions?

quirk, May 8, 2012 IP
  2. Unix C Hosting

Unix C Hosting Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest using KVM Hypervisor. It has many direct implementations that does not exists on other hypervisors.

You can also try Xen but KVM is better.

Unix C Hosting, Aug 19, 2013 IP
  3. quirk

quirk Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Excellent, thank you for the advice!

I am a little unclear on one big point though.
    Would I install that on the master node after setting up a cluster, or in some other manner?

quirk, Aug 19, 2013 IP
  4. Unix C Hosting

Unix C Hosting Member

Best Answers:
    It sounds like you want to use solusVM aswell. The hypervisor must be installed on the node (the server hosting your vms)
    Here is a decent tutorial to setup kvm on centos 6.x http://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=CentOS_6&p=kvm
    do this before installing solus
    You would to add the slaves to the master for a central location to control all the nodes. With KVM you can also create VMs outside solus.

Unix C Hosting, Aug 19, 2013 IP