1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Do Keyword Research for SEO in 5 Minutes

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Cam W, Aug 13, 2013.

Keyword research is the foundation for any SEO campaign so it is very important to know the basics. It’s easier than you think, and by choosing the right keywords to rank, you can start to see increases in website traffic very quickly.

Here's the 2 steps I usually use:
    1. Find keywords that have a high amount of monthly searches using the Google keyword tool.
    2. Go to Learn2Rank dot com, sign up a free account and get access to the Keyword Inspector, which is a very accurate keyword analysis tool.
    The way this tool works is it goes into Google and it grabs the top 10 search results for that keyword. It then looks at how competitive it is based on the PageRank, the lengths, and a few other factors that you can learn about just by hovering over it. The tool will give you a score for every keyword you type in, the higher the score, the more difficult to rank that keyword. Usually, I will look for keywords with a score 40 or below to work on.

So now, go ahead and enter some keywords in. Try to find keywords that have a lot of monthly searches and low competition with a score under 40, and you’re one step closer to bringing more traffic to your website.

Cam W, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  2. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for letting me know about Learn2Rank, it seems really a good tool for knowing competition of a keyword, I would say.

SERPpoint, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  3. flegmatic

flegmatic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great tool, I use it everytime when I'm doing keyword research.

Great share for the public!

flegmatic, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  4. dailybread2011

dailybread2011 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thanks for the kw tool Cam!
    Great share and very easy to use.
    Cheers!

dailybread2011, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  5. Kianu42

Kianu42 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, good post. While actually there are many other keyword tracker that do basically the same ...

Kianu42, Aug 17, 2013 IP
  6. JuiceFlow

JuiceFlow Member

Best Answers:
    Cam, interestingly enough, I created a screen capture today on this exact topic, and it's just under 5 minutes :) Check it out below...

JuiceFlow, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  7. Isadore Gregory

Isadore Gregory Member

Best Answers:
    Great post on keyword research! Many will surely benefit from this. Continue sharing these types of useful information. :)

Isadore Gregory, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  8. Torri Thompson

Torri Thompson Member

Best Answers:
    Just found this tool today and am glad I found this thread since I thought it may be too good to be true for a free tool. Thanks for the confirmation.

Torri Thompson, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  9. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Cam

The problem with Google keyword tool, or as it is now known Google Keyword Planner, is that it throttles the results it gives you by about 90%. In other words it only gives you about 10% of the searches for any particular keyword phrase.

You can prove this for yourself if you do a search for, say, "buy". Google returns about 650 results – which is obviously rubbish, because there are a lot more than 650 searches including the term buy in a month.. They clearly exclude tons of them.

Using other methods I can get 7000 suggestions during the month.

So how does that fact fit in with your method?

My basic observation is that Google keywords planner has its uses, but because it slashes the searches it shows by 90% it's useless for keyword research.

In my keyword research I tend use a Google suggest scraper - there are a couple around - and then get volume from either Google keywords planner or market Samurai.
    This is a starting point and then I compare the "allinURL" results with the "allintitle" results, to find which keyword phrases are the easiest to rank for.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks

Malc

malcsimm, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  10. shelby78

shelby78 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good share! I found this tool just recently also - highly recommended for those looking for an easy and affordable way to analyze keywords of interest.

I agree - Google Keyword Tool/Planner can be a big waste of time if it's not used properly. However, those who are new to keyword research/IM and on a limited budget, it can be a very useful tool for finding money keywords. Beginning a search with long tail keywords related to the topic of interest is the best way to start a search using GKP. You'll dig up more related results along with other useful keywords that you can plug in and search for once more. Somewhat time consuming, but definitely not a useless method IMHO.

shelby78, Oct 31, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  11. hussains4ever

hussains4ever Member

Best Answers:
    I found this tool recently and recommend for those who are looking for a good keyword tool. Its very easy to use in keyword research which is one of the important part of SEO campaign.

Great information on keyword research totally worth it.

hussains4ever, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  12. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Like I say - it can be used, but don't expect too much of it!

Which is "this tool" you found recently, shelby78? My favourite quick tool is Super Suggester. I've done a quick review of that tool here:
    http://heymalc.com/best-keyword-research-tool

Then there's Scrapebox if you're hardcore...

Malc

malcsimm, Nov 1, 2013 IP