1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Online travel websites ... help

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Sycrid, Aug 11, 2013.

Hiya guys,

I know this is my first post on Digital point, so I believe I have this in the right section but if I'm wrong feel free to move my posting.

Anyway, I have a very good domain name for a travel website, which I want to develop. The question I have is how do current travel websites run searches for up to date flights and prices? I see many websites which link into what seems almost like the same data, but I do not see who the database provider is.

From what I can see, I don't think they all have their own systems because they all must link into real time updated information, for multiple flights from multiple flight companies. Can anyone point me into the right direction, as I would like to incorporate such features into my website.

Recap: How do I get access to search functionality that allows my customers to search all flights available to multiple destinations, in real time that lists prices, dates etc.

Sycrid, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  2. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    Probably the best way to get upto date flight information is to either provide a link to the actual airline such as Air Canada or If available pick up their RSS feed and paste it into your sit (Hint Add A new page to your site "Airline Updates"

DEBooks, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  3. aryan481

aryan481 Active Member

Best Answers:
    very good idea , that mean you want to run your own travel website ,so you should have knowledge about database and all. also in simple you may try by linking main airlines website ,who provide there flight details on there website, also try to use there website in iframe on your website, by this your user can use airlines website and details without leaving your own site, this is the simple way. i can help you more PM .

aryan481, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  4. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Aryan481, you have it basically. My idea is to use my domain, and host lots of tourist article information, about places to visit etc. Then also have live flight costs for the opportunity to book flights to said destinations. Alternatively, I was thinking about setting up a website that just allows for cheap flights to the location I have the domain for, either way I'd need a real time database or I could be selling seats for flights, which are already full.

The I-Frame idea seems like a good idea. Although Iframes feel a bit 90's. Are there no APIs or something similar which could offer said services (PM the answer if you wish).

I'd even be interested in affiliate schemes that allow for full page inbedding of search results.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    Sycrid, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  5. aryan481

aryan481 Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you have programing skills you can try java-scripts or other program to use a live search, other option is link individual airlines website in iframe to make a search.
    you can try by connecting the airlines ,to be a agents of them, this will be best option for you , they will give you a link to make your own database.

good-luck

aryan481, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Some travel sites have affiliate programs where you can just copy and paste a widget to your own site. You don't need to know programming or database. For instance kayak is offering a simple search widget. You can build whatever travel site you want around it: http://www.kayak.com/labs/gateway/

If you spend some time searching you can find widgets offered by other travel sites too.

qwikad.com, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  7. SliceOfLife

SliceOfLife Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would also suggest affiliating with e.g., Kayak or Expedia. Iframes are such a bad idea that I don't even want to go into more details, but such widgets work wonders.

SliceOfLife, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  8. PanicNot

PanicNot Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried something similar before but broke it into 3 categories Hotels, Car hire and tours and found the best affiliates I could. The filght is a harder one in Europe because Ryanair doesn't have feeds to build on.

Thanks for the Kayak link will look into it!

PanicNot, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  9. bluewaveseo

bluewaveseo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    By far the easiest way to go is to use the the tools that they offer affiliates. once you sign up they will typically
    have code you can simply cut and paste into a widget which will provide the search functions you are looking for.

bluewaveseo, Aug 13, 2013 IP
  10. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, seems like most of you are right. The best way to go is to run an affiliate scheme, atleast for the mean time. That may generate some degree of income, but my main idea was not for an income purpose, but rather to have a search website for flights, hotels, etc.

Thanks for the help though guys.

Sycrid, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  11. DigitalMatt

DigitalMatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Sycrid,
    This week I was asked to develop a travel related domain. I ended up using the Expedia affiliate program. The tools they provide aren't perfect, but I was still able to set up http://ukraine-airlines-international.com/ in a couple of days.

The search form on the page is linked to their database. But you will notice that after you search you are taken to a white label website. This can be customized with your own logo and even URL masking. Pretty neat.

They also have a few good widgets that you can set up to show the latests deals.

The only downside with the Expedia affiliate program is that you can only earn commissions from Hotel bookings, not from flights.

Be in touch if you need any more help!

DigitalMatt, Aug 16, 2013 IP
  12. TonyGE

TonyGE Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Oh this one. You have to be an affiliate to any of those travel sites first. Then they will just give you API or code snippets. You may also do domain or subdomain mapping. In that case you will be displaying all the info form their site on your domain.

TonyGE, Aug 16, 2013 IP