1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

E commerce Startup

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by tanksboard, Jul 3, 2013.

Hello,

I was hoping to get some helpful information on a start up E commerce site. I have a few custom items that I am making in my home and I would also like to sell other items also. So here are a few questions that I have.

1. Should I insure myself and start some sort of corporation? Ex. LLC
    2. What is the best way to find vendors to sell stuff on your site? Or even other people that are making homemade goods in the same category as mine?
    3. I know there are a million opinions on here as to the best E-commerce start up site. I am doing a trial with Shopify right now and I only feel it is so so. I want the best site with the best SEO integration. Does anyone have an opinion as to how to push forward with that? I know that metatags/analytics and all of the required google work is probably the most important part to success. Please correct me if I am wrong. I just don't know the best way to economically do this.
    4.Should I start collecting taxes from the start?

I appreciate everyone's help and input. I am looking to sell Shabby Chic kind of goods if anyone is interested in selling on the site also.

tanksboard, Jul 3, 2013 IP
  2. rashida

rashida Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, Try with ZS Cart which is the best & easy to use shopping cart software to create your store.

rashida, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  3. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Magento may work for you.

creativewebmaster, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  4. Satazabuki

Satazabuki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    First you need to sit down and make some plans, as there is a lot of e-commerce.
    It must be unique for start. Also it's not good idea to start collecting taxes from the start.

Satazabuki, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  5. tanksboard

tanksboard Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I feel that I have a pretty solid plan, I'm just unsure if I should create an LLC and you say that shouldn't start to collect taxes, I am curious as to why you say that? Sorry for all of the questions and I greatlyappreciate the help.

tanksboard, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  6. bouser

bouser Active Member

Best Answers:
    With regards to the e-commerce solution, I'd take look at OpenCart.com - it's open source, slick, simple and has great themes available from themeforest.net. We've worked with both Magento and OpenCart in the past, both are great but I prefer the simplicity of OpenCart :)

bouser, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  7. CollegeContent

CollegeContent Peon

Best Answers:
    When I was looking to open up an ecommerce site I was looking at woocommerce. Its a plugin for wordpress. You only actually pay for more features, and the basic version is free.

CollegeContent, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  8. Sabrina_Gage

Sabrina_Gage Member

Best Answers:
    You can establish your website with ecommerce platforms, such as Shopify, Joomla, etc. As an ecommerce site, in addition to detailed marketing plan, you need to focus on customer service, which helps you retain old customers and acquire new customers. You can integrate some customer service products into your site as start up, such as Comm100 Live Chat, which enables you to engage visitors in real time. http://www.comm100.com/livechat/

Sabrina_Gage, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  9. Matt Cotten

Matt Cotten Member

Best Answers:
    Hi tanksboard,

1. Most small businesses do not need to form a LLC. The self-employment tax is high but even with an LLC you probably will still have to pay it. Plus there is the cost and some work to maintain it. And with handmade items, it is very unlikely someone is going to sue you and even if they did an LLC is only a barrier and will not fully protect you.

2. To find other vendors, your best bet would be to participate in trade shows, arts and craft shows to meet other people like yourself. Nothing beats face to face networking to establish contacts.

3. If you want to have your own website you might consider Bigcommerce as it is very similar to Shopify without the transaction fees. However, being a startup with handmade items you might be better off starting on Etsy or at least have an account there as well.

4. For sales tax you only need to charge state sales tax if they are shipping the product to the state you are located.

Good luck!

Matt Cotten, Jul 23, 2013 IP
    Nigel Lew likes this.
  10. socialmerchant

socialmerchant Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi try nerover, it might fit your requirements :)

socialmerchant, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  11. ReferralCandy

ReferralCandy Member

Best Answers:

I think that's a good start. Shopify is one of the biggest go-tos for retailers, especially the first-timers, because they make the process of creating your online store as seamless as possible for their customers. Their support staff is awesome, and can guide and streamline your store to explore its maximum capabilities. Setting up is easy and they have a ton of apps to value-add to your store.

ReferralCandy, Jul 29, 2013 IP
  12. OliverTrent

OliverTrent Peon

Best Answers:
    Worry less about the platform and more about your store. Validate your idea before you spend too much time/money on it. You can always switch later :)

OliverTrent, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  13. stupidcamel

stupidcamel Member

Best Answers:
    I was looking to start my own ecommerce site as well. I'm a bit confused now if I should actually pay tax myself in order to keep a healthy tax record? Is there anything I should pay attention to? Looking forwards to hearing more advice by professionals with years of experience in practice.

stupidcamel, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  14. TeslaThemes

TeslaThemes Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For everyone in here who want to start an ecommerce business, I recommend you to read "The ABC's of ecommerce and dropshipping sucess ebook" from http://www.abc-of-ecommerce.com where they explain in detail every aspect of creating and managing an online store, with lots of examples and resources.

TeslaThemes, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  15. Bruno Savio

Bruno Savio Peon

Best Answers:
    Topic cool since I'm also trying to start an online shop.

Bruno Savio, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  16. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:

You folks should follow this fellows lead and bother to read the thread before you opine about it.
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  17. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    1. Should I insure myself and start some sort of corporation? Ex. LLC Absolutely create an LLC, or even better a Corp, to protect your personal assets. Talk to your accountant, if possible.

2. What is the best way to find vendors to sell stuff on your site? Or even other people that are making homemade goods in the same category as mine? I found them in related magazines or advertising on sites. For craft types of stuff, find related forums, local clubs, etc.

3 I know there are a million opinions on here as to the best E-commerce start up site. I am doing a trial with Shopify right now and I only feel it is so so. I want the best site with the best SEO integration. Does anyone have an opinion as to how to push forward with that? I know that metatags/analytics and all of the required google work is probably the most important part to success. Please correct me if I am wrong. I just don't know the best way to economically do this.
    I wrote this up for someone else. Very important stuff, before you commit to a particular one, as it can be a major pain to switch to another. Sorry about the bold switch.

4.Should I start collecting taxes from the start? YES. Read up on the latest rulings and bills, including the Marketplace Fairness Act. Much has changed and is changing as you read this. If you are in the USA, and in one of the 45 states that require sales tax, you must collect it. DO NOT LISTEN to anyone above saying otherwise, you could get in huge trouble. There are over 9600 jurisdictions that require sales tax, regardless of you possibly living in a sales-tax-free state. You need to know the tax situation in your state, county, and city as well.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    usasportstraining, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  18. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I seem to see alot of people jumping straight into running an ecommerce site. But, getting relevant buyers to your site will be one of the largest hassles that you will face.

You said that you make things at home, is that something you enjoy? Is it profitable? Is your core business going to be built on items that you personally make? You can register a company name, and still sell your items via other ecommerce platforms which may be a better alternative then simply starting your own site.

I think you would need to work out if your focus will be on making the products or selling the products. it may not be a good idea to do both. If you are selling products, and spending your time managing the site, promoting the site, it might very well take you away from your core aims.

A number of times now I have brought things on ebay, and in the package they send out is a link to their ecommerce website, odds are, they would possibly make more in sales from ebay, then direct through their website.

My advice, start your company. Make your products. Get your products selling on other sites first, *then* consider to create your own site.

matt_62, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  19. AddiBoy

AddiBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd vote for Shopify. It's probably the simplest e-commerce platform, and is powerful enough to do most things. And there are apps that extend the functionality further. I have been using it for years and LOVE it.

AddiBoy, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  20. el_clown

el_clown Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You try Miidas CMS. It's the easiest e-commerce platform and new designs. It supports group buying and facebook estore. Check this www.miidas.com

el_clown, Sep 23, 2013 IP