1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website to sell specific item

Discussion in 'General Business' started by redrabbit29, Aug 14, 2013.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of developing an affiliate market site for a few select items which is in the form of a blog - to give it a personal touch.

I was thinking though, after I would like to try to create a very simple site, selling one type of item. Nothing more or less, to really target that item.

I have a few questions though:

1) I'm not sure what items at present, maybe Protein Shakers, or yoga mats, or something similar - possibly fitness related

2) Where could I buy such items in varying quantities?

3) do you think this is an effective idea?

Thanks everyone,
    Red Rabbit

redrabbit29, Aug 14, 2013 IP
  2. ZombieNation

ZombieNation Member

Best Answers:
    if you are going to be an affiliate, you would not need to buy stock in any amount. Sign up as an Amazon Associate and just make commissions selling their products. It's one of the easiest ways to make money online. Amazon convert well. There's plenty of other affiliates you could try too, if you don't fancy Amazon.

ZombieNation, Aug 14, 2013 IP
  3. redrabbit29

redrabbit29 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply, although I wasn't asking as an affiliate.

I'm planning on doing affiliate marketing initially, although as a long term thing I'm considering setting a site up selling a product that i have or that I can easily have access to.

redrabbit29, Aug 14, 2013 IP
  4. r0nzz

r0nzz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend trying to find a cheap supplier offline (not from the Internet) as this is the best way to get an advantage by putting their stock online

r0nzz, Aug 14, 2013 IP
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am curious to see your actual business plan...

for a start, if you do have a product, you can always list it at places such as ebay, there are many shops that sell only on ebay. You could go as far as setting up your own site, and use a ecommerce script to sell. You still list things in places such as ebay, and each customer you give them your site address so that repeat business goes direct.

With many products, the profit is not made when you sell, but rather when you buy. If you are new to business, and especially if you are young, you wont have the skills to get the pricing you need to be able to do this. I had the same thing when I first went into business, I had companies offering me "wholesale" prices, which was more then what I could buy at retail elsewhere. I completely lacked the skills (as well as funding) required to get proper pricing.

I know you do not want to be an affiliate, but regardless, here is my suggestion. Try to be an affiliate first, promote a wide range or products, and see which ones sell, THEN, you can work out that if you buy xx products, you can move then within yy timeframe. Then if that is successful, find your second biggest selling item, order whatever you can move in a month, and buy in bulk at the best pricing you can find.

Health and fitness is a hot and popular industry, I believe it is worth your time to get in there, but I would approach it as an affiliate, do youtube movies about exercise stuff to promote products / blog , do a blog with alot of guides, and use that platform to sell products as an affiliate (and later to sell and promote your own products).
    Just right now, for you to buy the product first, if you lack the skills and funding to get a great price, and to market the products then you could be stuck with *alot* of "Protein Shakers, or yoga mats, or something similar".

matt_62, Aug 14, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  6. redrabbit29

redrabbit29 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Matt,

I don't have a business plan it's just me thinking outloud at the minute, almost brainstorming.

Thanks for your advice - really useful.

Regarding affiliate marketing... two questions:

1) I read I should pick a select few items - well about 10, and heavily market them and write about them. Almost blog about it to give it a personal touch. As opposed to having hundreds of them.

2) Do you think I should simply advertise products and link through to the seller, or at some stage look to do drop shipping, where I sell the item, and arrange it to be shipped by supplier?

Thanks again,
    RR

redrabbit29, Aug 15, 2013 IP