1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The feds are watching your search engine keywords...

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by dscurlock, Aug 9, 2013.

Of course this is nothing new, but now the feds have been caught.

Wife was searching for pressure cooker...
    Husband was searching for backpack...

Feds show up to their house the next day wondering
    why they needed a backpack and pressure cooker.

https://medium.com/something-like-falling/2e7d13e54724

Feds = Fail!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    dscurlock, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not quite accurate. The actual facts that have come out. His work, which has every right to monitor his computer, contacted police. Contrary to your title, the feds were not watching their searches. It was only the police who showed up and the feds were never even involved, let alone watching his searches. The wife jumped to conclusions and misinformed the world, but more facts have come out since her original story weeks ago.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/nati...knocking-doors-because-google-searches/67864/
    (the photo with the article I linked is not related to the article, it was from the Boston bombing. I think their use of it is misleading and so I wanted to point it out.)

browntwn, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  3. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I stated pretty much what CNN stated....
    Then again, media isnt perfect i guess, sometimes, they
    too report what they just hear about, then repeat it....

CNN reported as if he was searching for something at work,
    and then she was searching for something at home...

Oh well,

CNN = Fail!

how embarrassing cnn...
    and cnn is supposed to be the news leader?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    dscurlock, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel Lew, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  5. browntwn

Best Answers:
    The story was, and is still being, repeated/"reported" the way you said it. It seems "journalists" now are happy to just repeat what they hear and not use any of their own investigation or reported to verify the facts before spreading the "news".

browntwn, Aug 9, 2013 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So long as they have bots doing the cross matching I don't have a problem with the "feds" doing stuff like that. Have nothing to hide? they'll quickly work it out and be onto the next thing. These guys don't have the funding to justify wild goose chases and big brother threats.

And since that's not quite how it panned out then you can go back to your dodgy searches :)

sarahk, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  7. melprise

melprise Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems to me the police (who the feds share data with) and the employer could have simply gotten their cover story coordinated, to reverse the bad PR of the original news. It doesn't disprove the initial reporting at all. Too much truth slipped out, and it had to be cleaned up.

The whole point behind the NSA domestic snooping scandal of this summer is that government surveillance and data sharing is in fact universal, and that they have been systematically lying to the public about its scope.

melprise, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  8. Laurens xtra

Laurens xtra Member

Best Answers:
    I know that in the UK, snooping has been going on for years and it works. They catch terrorists even before the act. So I don't see what the fuss is about. Small sacrifice for a safer society.

Laurens xtra, Aug 14, 2013 IP
  9. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Name one instance for me please.
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Aug 14, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  10. Laurens xtra

Laurens xtra Member

Best Answers:
    One instance. slashdot.org/story/06/08/12/2024224/uk-terror-bust-caught-with-wiretapping

11. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:

1 from 2006. given the date that is not even vaguely germane here.
    N.

Nigel Lew, Aug 14, 2013 IP
  12. Laurens xtra

Laurens xtra Member

Best Answers:
    2. edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/12/18/uk.terrorism/ Terror director, recruiter convicted in UK
    I can get up to 10 examples but I don't have all day.
    What am saying is, 1) It has been going on for years in UK. 2) It works, catching the terrorists even before they act.

13. koin

koin Member

Best Answers:
    CNN didn't report this story, what are you talking about?

koin, Aug 14, 2013 IP
  14. melprise

Best Answers:
    From the discussion:
    "First off, the arrests, as have been widely reported, originally began as the result of a tip-off from within the British Muslim community [google.com].
    The investigation had already been ongoing for quite a long time at the point at which the phone call, which gets only a brief mention in the article there, was intercepted by a wiretap."

The pro-snooping officials always assert omni-surveillance is working, but upon simple examination we find out they either 1) caught the suspects through traditional means, 2) entrapped a patsy or intelligence asset they were already using, or 3) totally overreached and SWAT teamed an innocent party doing innocent stuff, as with the pressure-cooker case.

melprise, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  15. browntwn

Best Answers:
    What SWAT team in the pressure cooker incident? The police came and knocked on their door, asked some questions and left. Here is how the woman described the men at her house: (doesn't sound anything like a SWAT team to me)
    Her story was full of shit. She jumped to conclusions about the cause of them coming to question her husband and you are perpetuating it by claiming they were "SWAT teamed" when that is not even what she claims.

browntwn, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  16. melprise

Best Answers:
    Please major in the majors. Officiers shouldn't be doing this Nazi 'knock on the door' crap AT ALL. Being questioned unannounced over normal Google searches is Orwellian nightmare time, and should be characterized as such, regardless of whether you dislike the term "SWAT teamed." Hyperbole, perhaps, but the men were all armed, and it's actually not exactly clear which enforcement division they were from, according to the London Guardian:

"It was unclear on Thursday precisely who had visited Catalano. The FBI told the Guardian that she was visited by the Nassau County police department ‘working in conjunction with Suffolk County police department.’

“‘From our understanding, both of those counties are involved,’ said FBI spokeswoman Kelly Langmesser. She said Suffolk County initiated the action and that Nassau County became involved, but would not elaborate on what that meant.

"The Suffolk County police department directed inquiries back to the FBI.

"The Nassau County police department said Catalano
    ‘was not visited by the Nassau police department' and denied involvement in the situation.’"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/01/new-york-police-terrorism-pressure-cooker

melprise, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  17. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    This sounds like a terrible joke. But I know it's no joke.

Alyssa Lochmore, Aug 15, 2013 IP