1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO questions, changing URLS and impact on results - Will pay for answer

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by drig, Dec 5, 2006.

A client of mine has a well established site that ranks in top 10 for all keywords (the homepage). However, they want to change the urls from website.com/232/11/ to something like website.com/design/services/ to have inner pages rank well on search engines as well. If they make this change, should a 301 redirect be done on the old URLs, whats the best way to let google know about the change (sitemap?), and will it hurt the current rankings that are already established? Thank you and I have $5 in my PayPal account for a solid and correct answer. Thanks.

drig, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  2. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have heard that a 301 will not hurt your rankings. I think sitemaps would also help to quickly update google to the new addresses.

Austars, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  3. jazz7620

jazz7620 Banned

Best Answers:
    I have done it personally on my websites with 301 redirect and thats the best way to go if you want to maintain the pagerank and search results position.
    If you need info on how to do it, PM me. It is fairly straight forward on apache with mod-rewrite installed. I used .htaccess for about 93 urls.

jazz7620, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  4. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply, but Im really looking for someone who KNOWS not just heard. Sorry to be blunt. I need to make sure, because the client makes a good profit from their current rankings in search engines and Id really hate to see that get lost.

drig, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  5. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Would this still work if the client has over 100,000 pages indexed by Google? Thanks.

drig, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  6. jazz7620

jazz7620 Banned

Best Answers:
    Theoretically Yes, in my past experience about 100 pages worked fine. The thing is with .htaccess you are asking the apache to rewrite the URL which ofcourse is resource intensive. So you have a trade off...Once google starts to index the new pages, you can remove the older pages from the .htaccess.

You can also submit a new sitemap to google with all the new pages.

jazz7620, Dec 5, 2006 IP
    drig likes this.
  7. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much. Please send your paypal address to me via PM.

drig, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  8. jazz7620

jazz7620 Banned

Best Answers:
    well thanks for the offer but I think I dont need $5. If you really want to give away $5, please donate it to some charitable organization.

Cheers
    Girish

jazz7620, Dec 5, 2006 IP
    iatbm and Burta like this.
  9. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Girish,
    Good man. Do you have a charitable organization of preference?

drig, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  10. jazz7620

jazz7620 Banned

Best Answers:
    No, I do not have any preference. But if you want, you can send it to some Organization dealing with Children's welfare.

jazz7620, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  11. D3Si

D3Si Peon

Best Answers:
    Use redirect it won't hurt u in anyways.. I've done it in the past..

D3Si, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  12. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    I figured this would be a good time to donate to Toys for Tots Foundation. Money sent. Thanks and rep added.

drig, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  13. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, here's the skinny

Once the new pages are creted remove the old pages and put redirects (mod rewrite if Unix/Linux/Lamp) to the new pages.

At this point it will take a while and likely there will be drops and a rebound

NOW - if you want to be real finicky, do a page removal once all the love has firmly passed and once more in 6 months (supp index takes 12 months, removal tool last for 6.. go figure)

Any questions... ask away.. Hope the kids get something nice.... :D

thegypsy, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  14. drahmedgalal

drahmedgalal Peon

Best Answers:
    i would say, leave it as it is
    you are saying that the website is already working well so don't make dramatic changes.
    and the keywords in the url is not that important (notice dp forum here is using almost the same url structure that you want to change in your customer web site)
    you just have to follow a deep linking policy to give the inner pages some strength.

301 are good and effective i tried it a lot with no problems just a temporary drop then it will rebound... but also google is really mad so moving this large amount of pages can trigger something or get you penalized for a reason or another so if you will perform 301 make it gradually so you can stop if something wrong happens

drahmedgalal, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  15. cdx

cdx Peon

Best Answers:
    it's a real old thread.... see the date ;)

cdx, Oct 6, 2010 IP