1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vBulletin vs XenForo vs IPB

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by webinsane, Aug 30, 2012.

Your favorite commercial community software? I have been fan of vBulletin and I run large community powered by VB4. It has its ups and downs, but in general gets things done. However, now that vBulletin talks about version 5 makes me think what is really going since we just kissed version 4.2. I have been thinking about alternatives so in my mind I can seriously think only about two other alternatives. This is just a small debate I do not intend to move from vBulletin (well not yet).

vBulletin 4 - Built on old system and even they know they messed up big time by keeping old architecture. Now they just can't keep up with new stuff that other forums offer. However, VB has the best mods on internet and it keeps growing. Some of the best forums run on vBulletin including Sitepoint and Digital Point. It is secure and it has long history that I followed from the day one, but lately it has been under attack from XenForo community and some "individual" website like: http://vbtruth.com

XenForo - This is interesting project created by two Ex-vBulletin developers Kier Darby and Mike Sullivan. Guys went through a lot to keep their ideas fresh. Lots of courts lawyers and lawsuits from Internet Brands (company that owns vBulletin). Xenforo is built on Zend Framework (which is not my favorite) and it has promising future, but not yet there. They lack mods and driven community. Long way to go to achieve vBulletin.org popularity. I think it mostly lacks professional default look and other styles look more like free forums. Good ideas just not delivered properly.

IPB - Ok this is the software I have least experience with. Last time I tried it it had great skins and bad mod choices. They charge for most of the mods that vBulletin community offers for free. Every time I try to consider IPB something throws me off. Maybe just feeling that I can't shake off. Like a vBulletin ghost that chases me around when I look for other alternatives. However, if I do switch to other forum software it will probably be IPB, but we will see I am not in the rush there is long wait until we actually test new vBulletin 5.

webinsane, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  2. webinsane

webinsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also it seems Digital Point is moving to XenForo.

webinsane, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  3. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Where exactly did you come up with this info?

that vbtruth site is a joke, it's made some someone who has been very angry with vbulletin, I wouldn't trust anything I read on there, do you're on research. ;)

xenforo is nice but has been lagging in developement
    vb4/5 is nice and actively being developed, getting better every day
    ipb has ip.content which is great, I don't really care for anything else they have

Brandon Sheley, Sep 11, 2012 IP
  4. webinsane

webinsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    webinsane, Sep 24, 2012 IP
  5. nadlerz

nadlerz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Plus to XenForo <3
    I love it.
    Consumes little Resources.
    Extremely faster compare to vb and ipb.

nadlerz, Sep 26, 2012 IP
  6. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Brandon Sheley, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  7. shuman202

shuman202 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i think vbulletin is best available right now... so many mods, very customizable and has a solid reputation
    i thin xenforo needs alot of time to get a little close to vbulletin software maybe someday the can beat vbulletin ...

shuman202, Oct 22, 2012 IP
  8. nadlerz

nadlerz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    XenForo is Great among then all !

nadlerz, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  9. A_ManojKumar

A_ManojKumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am loving Xenforo more than vBulletin. The Xenforo guys are doing a great job to keep the software modern and updating it to current web technology. vBulletin on the other side have never really showed any improvement after being bought by Internet Brands.

A_ManojKumar, Jul 3, 2013 IP
  10. liamwli

liamwli Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    xenForo has come a long way since this thread was posted. Digitalpoint now runs it, and xF 1.2 gold is right around the corner, with state of the art features such as a fully responsive style. The only other software to have a responsive style that I know of is vB5 - but that's slightly baddened (I know that's not a word) by the fact vB5 is the worst software ever.

I don't like IBP. They charge for everything, and I don't like the UI. It takes too many clicks to get something done. Same with vB. I used to use vB4, but I fell in love with xF after looking into it, now I'm using it for my forum.

Liam

liamwli, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  11. stilv

stilv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had them all, i love Xenforo

stilv, Aug 2, 2013 IP
  12. Rambro

Rambro Peon

Best Answers:
    Xenforo all the way. I toyed with VB5 and it was horrible. And now they won't stop emailing me!

Rambro, Aug 11, 2013 IP
  13. stilv

stilv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OMG, i heard bad stories of VB5 and see a lot of people moving away VB all together now sad ..

stilv, Aug 12, 2013 IP
  14. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Check the "Commercial Forum Software Migration" chart to see where people are going from/to...

https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search

digitalpoint, Aug 18, 2013 IP
  15. jackmilas

jackmilas Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Let me share my story. I have run dzwiek.org website since 2003, first using some free scripts, then in 2005 I moved to vBulletin 3. Then when vB4 was released I moved to that and later Xenforo showed up, which was amazing. I liked the alert system and conversation system better than vB4. Later, Xenforo suspended their activity and I thought they would never continue, so I decided to try IP Board last year. It was fine, it had alerts and conversations similar to Xenforo, but it didn't feel as light and as easy to manage like Xenforo did. The customer support was horrible. I purchased IP.Nexus and then it turned out it didn't have one important feature they advertised regarding selling banner ads. So I asked for a refund and when they ignored my request I did that through Paypal. They revoked my license after that. Although I managed to convince them that they are doing bad job and they reinstated my license, that experience led me to go back to Xenforo as soon as I found out they were back in action again. I think Xenforo is the best and it is getting better and better with each next release. Looking at some amazing custom features implemented here on digitalpoint, we can imagine how nicely it will develop in future!

jackmilas, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  16. Blesta.Store

Blesta.Store Active Member

Best Answers:
    When Jelsoft owned VBulletin I loved it, that was until Mike and Kier left and opened Xenforo, so I'm a fan of that cool software.

Blesta.Store, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  17. Chalipa

Chalipa Member

Best Answers:
    Xenforo is looking very promising

Chalipa, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  18. Puntocom81

Puntocom81 Banned

Best Answers:
    XenForo by far.

Oh sorry for the bump! just noticed it's from 2013 :S

Puntocom81, Apr 21, 2016 IP