1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

whats next after PHP

Discussion in 'Programming' started by MrPJH, Aug 2, 2013.

i am Good expert in PHP CSS but now i don't feel any charm in it and tired
    basically i am freelancer and now a days i am seeing too many bids on PHP related jobs

Ruby c# c++ ASP seems Good but Android laughs at them i think for next few years Android will be on Top
    Responsive templates will be a game of few days

What are your opinions
    which Language is best to go with as a freelancer

MrPJH, Aug 2, 2013 IP
  2. EmmanuelFlossie

EmmanuelFlossie Active Member

Best Answers:
    What about learning how to work with frameworks? like Zend Framework etc

EmmanuelFlossie, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  3. Nipun Tyagi

Nipun Tyagi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    iCodeCrew.com is not active domain now....

Nipun Tyagi, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Go back and learn more HTML and CSS. No, seriously. Hard to say without seeing any of your work, but the most common problem amongst PHP dev's is the complete lack of understanding on concepts like semantic markup, minimalist markup, separation of presentation from content, and the 'cascading' part of cascading style stylesheets.

This is evident from doing a view source on things like Boomla, Turdpress, etc, etc.

I mean, take that desklancer site. If you don't know what's wrong with:
    <div class="topbar">
    <p class="welcome"><a href="http://www.desklancer.com/login">Sign In</a>&nbsp; - &nbsp; <a href="http://www.desklancer.com/signup">Create Account</a></p>
    </div>
    <!-- div class="inner" -->
    <!-- body class="inner" -->

<div id="loadme"></div>

<div class="header_bar">
    <strong class="logo"><a href="http://www.desklancer.com/">DeskLancer</a></strong>
                            <form action="http://www.desklancer.com/search" id="search_form" method="get">      
                            	<div class="search">
                                	<input class="text swap-value-small-search" id="query" name="query" type="text" value="" />
                                	<input type="image" src="http://www.desklancer.com/images/btn-go02.gif" alt="Go" class="button" />
                              	</div>
                            </form>
    </div>

<div class="menu_nav">

<script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function() {	

var overlayObject = $("a[rel]").overlay({ 

top: 50,

expose: {

color: '#232323',

closeOnClick: true

},

onClose:function() {   

},

effect:'apple'

});	                        

});	

</script>

<div id="scriptolutiontopmenu" class="topmenu">

<ul>                    

<li><a href="http://www.desklancer.com/">Home</a></li>

<li><a href="http://www.desklancer.com/signup" id="join">Join</a></li>

<li><a href="http://www.desklancer.com/login" class="login-link">Sign In</a></li>

</ul>

<div style=" margin-left:300px; position:absolute; padding-top:6px;"></div>

</div>

</div>

Code (markup):
    along with the endless pointless javascript for nothing crap like the jquery bloat, it's probably time to go back and learn some more HTML, CSS and a bit about accessibility norms and semantics.

Just to give you an idea what I mean, axe all that javascript for nothing, and DIV for nothing, and get some semantic markup in there, along with some logical heading use, and you would have this instead:

<h1>
    		Desklancer
    		<span>-</span>
    		<small>Crowd-sourcing for small business</small>
    	</h1>

<ul class="userbar">
    		<li><a href="/login">Sign In</a></li>
    		<li><a href="/signup">Create Account</a></li>
    	</ul>

<form action="/search" id="searchForm" method="get">
    		<fieldset>
    			<label for="searchFormQuery">Search</label>
    			<input type="text" id="searchFormQuery" name="query" />
    			<input type="image" src="/images/btn-go02.gif" alt="Search" class="submit" />
    		</fieldset>
    	</form>

<ul id="mainMenu">
    		<li><a href="/">Home</a></li>
    		<li><a href="/signup">Join</a></li>
    		<li><a href="/login" class="login-link">Sign In</a></li>
    	</ul>
    Code (markup):
    That has MORE than enough hooks to apply the exact same styling and behavior to it (well, excepting fixing the accessibility failings)... at roughly 1/3rd the markup.

A lot of people who think they've "mastered" PHP generally speaking don't know enough about HTML to be writing PHP in the first place. After all, it's SUPPOSED to be a hypertext pre-processor; glue between databases and markup.

deathshadow, Aug 4, 2013 IP
    MrPJH and ryan_uk like this.
  5. MrPJH

MrPJH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    according to DeskLancere.com and iCodeCrew.com
    A lot of craps and bugs in DL script if i focus on them then i have to focus on that business too and i am not interested in any kind of business i just turned an open source script into my Idea and leave it on its way

Yes true its hard to say i am Master however i am concerned with competition
    few months back when i apply for PHP related jobs there was chances getting hired from 6 to 10 bidders
    and now a days number of bidders increased it is between 100 to 150 bidders within one hour of the job post
    usually i have worked 20 to 30 USD per hour and now a days employers easily find freelancers on 3 to 5 USD per hour
    its economics rule more the sources less the rates

MrPJH, Aug 5, 2013 IP
  6. HuggyStudios

HuggyStudios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes but the quality of the work is the key. $3-5 per hour? What would expect to get from that?

HuggyStudios, Aug 5, 2013 IP
  7. MrPJH

MrPJH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello MyName,

Thanks for the great feedback you gave us.

I'm going to be sincere, you were the second finalist of the candidates we have analyzed, but the first candidate gave us a proposal of 2.22 USD and was able to complete our tasks successfully.

So that is a half of the cost for us, and i've decided to go with it.

So, if it's ok to you, we will keep your contact, and if we need an second experienced programmer we will get back to you.

Again, sorry for the older interviews we proceed, they were done by TeamMemberName, our developer at the time, and for what i've seen he excluded people without any reason, that won't happen again.

I will keep your contact and will get back to you directly the next time instead of opening a new project.

Thanks,

ClientName

MrPJH, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  8. davetrebas

davetrebas Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO the future is javascript frameworks like JQuery and others. This allows the entire app to run on the browser. javascript is now a full featured object oriented language with multiple inheritance.

I am currently working on a large project that has very little server side code, just javascript modules that get dynamically loaded and executed. It uses AJAX with a cloud server.

The javascript modules get loaded on demand for just in time execution. Of course the browser caches them for future use.

Just my 2 cents...

davetrebas, Aug 7, 2013 IP
  9. C. Berntsen

C. Berntsen Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's not really that big of a difference in languages, it boils down to preferences. At the end of the day, you gotta take the time to learn a language properly. When it comes to server-side scripting aimed at developing websites, I think PHP has a long future.

C. Berntsen, Aug 7, 2013 IP
  10. juggalox

juggalox Member

Best Answers:
    I've heard people say Rails pays good and has demand , but I think PHP based web development will be ever green for quite a while without any worries. Android app development could be an alternative for a change. But honestly , it's not the language , it's what you're trying to build. Your question should more be like : What do I like to do next with technology ? Instead of : What technology do I learn next ? What you want to learn next depends on what you want to do. If you haven't already researched yet on that , i recommend to explore a few areas which you'd like to work on first.

juggalox, Aug 9, 2013 IP
    Playaone and MrPJH like this.
  11. prologic

prologic Member

Best Answers:
    Well php and css are not the type of programming languages to be bored of

prologic, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  12. MrPJH

MrPJH Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PHP is not a programming language ?

MrPJH, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It all depends on the programmer. There's an exponential difference between someone who "knows" PHP and someone who can actually build a well designed application in PHP. Because the simple stuff in PHP is so easy to learn, you have a bunch of non-programmers who all of a sudden think they are programmers. And you end up with most PHP applications being utter garbage. Even some of the major PHP applications make me want to cry when looking at the source (WordPress for example makes me want to gouge my eyes out because it's so poorly designed).

It doesn't matter what programming language you use an example, there will always be good programmers for it, and sucky programmers for it. PHP just has an inordinate amount of sucky programmers because the basics are so simple and everyone thinks they are a PHP programmer because of it.

PHP is also well beyond a "hypertext preprocessor" these days (even though that's what it originally was). You can build non-web applications with it. In fact we have some custom server daemons that I wrote in PHP that do all the normal fancy daemon stuff (listen on a specific port, fork itself into child processes when connections are made, etc.)

In the right hands, PHP can be very powerful, fast, scalable, etc. In the wrong hands, you end up with garbage.

digitalpoint, Nov 5, 2013 IP
    malky66 and ryan_uk like this.
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Once you achieve the great status of "Good expert" (whatever the F that is) the gods from up above will bless you with your next assignment. If they have not yet...you have more to learn.

No matter how good I become at programming I am reminded every day that I need more practice. I started this journey in 1996 and I am far from an expert..even though my programming ability is at an advance level.

If you need to ask "What is next... I am an expert" you are not an expert. Odds are you probably haven't made it out of a "newbie" stage. Heck, we are all newbies in one way or another and as soon as you become well diverse in a language everything changes...

NetStar, Nov 5, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and malky66 like this.
  15. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Anyone who thinks they are an expert at programming (meaning they can't learn anymore) is wrong.

digitalpoint, Nov 5, 2013 IP
    EricBruggema, ryan_uk and deathshadow like this.
  16. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That goes hand in hand with something I'm always saying -- the day you think there's nothing new to learn, is the day the rest of the world leaves you behind.

deathshadow, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  17. EricBruggema

EricBruggema Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, but i can understand when people get bored when always writing the same stuff... get exited and develop something new... like i do... don't do normal cmses anymore only custom scripts..

EricBruggema, Nov 8, 2013 IP