1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to learn social media marketing?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by wheelstb, Jul 23, 2013.

This may seem like a pretty obvious question but I'm looking for the subtle pointers that will help me learn social media marketing more effectively. I'm a recent graduate trying to get a job in marketing. Surprisingly, I'm a person from the younger generation who really doesn't enjoy social media.

I still have not landed a full-time job and many marketing jobs require someone with social media marketing skills. I do have experience with a lot of content generation as far as social media marketing is concerned. But most of what I've done is to simply create the content that was managed or deployed by someone else.

I'm looking for pointers on how to learn social media marketing.

I have the books called The New Rules of Marketing and PR Version 2.0 and The Zen of Social Media Marketing. Certainly there is more to do than just read those two books. I know just messing with social media more often would help. I'm really looking for tips and pointers be almost 2 things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wheelstb, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  2. Waseem Simi

Waseem Simi Banned

Best Answers:
    Your advice is really practical and followable. Social media marketing has become the need to increase business sales and traffic response in sort period of time. It is best technique for small scale business.

Waseem Simi, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  3. BoostSoftware

BoostSoftware Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's still room for traditional marketers in this world for as long as companies still produce paper fliers and brochures. However, the one thing you might want to do is just sign up for Facebook, Twitter, G+ Pinterest, and other major sites. Explore the profiles and interact with people according to Interests. It also helps to learn how to use hashtags properly when posting to others, such as when you want to post about #marketing.

BoostSoftware, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  4. OlegLola

OlegLola Active Member

Best Answers:

My advice is to try as many social media as possible. Be active, interact with professionals, read related blogs, ask questions and then you'll see whether it's yours cup of tea or not.

OlegLola, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    The main thing to keep in mind is social media advertising is a marathon not a sprint. Yes, your site can go viral overnight, but most likely it won't. Because it is more like a marathon, you have to spend a sufficient amount of time on the different venues you'll choose to promote your stuff. It boils down to the basics: If you have a couple hundred followers/friends in your social circles, don't expect it to have much impact on your advertising efforts. Some big time success stories didn't come because of some viral miracle. They usually come because people are willing to spend 70 hours a week making and promoting their youtube videos or sharing something they are passionate about on G+ or Facebook. It's a relentless, hard work. There's no way around it.

qwikad.com, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  6. matt999

matt999 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Start with what you find easiest like facebook and then think of a business that you would like to promote. Study the demographics(age, gender, status, etc.), find out what interest them, and also the best time to post a status/picture/video that makes them engage. Sometimes post funny pictures or quotes so they will not get tired of you promotions. Once you've mastered facebook, move to twitter and to other social media platforms until you know how to link all you networks.

The best way to learn social media is by doing it. So you'll know what works and what doesn't. To be successful in Social Media you have to be consistent, you can't be posting and keeping people engaged for a month and then do nothing the second month. Hope this helps!

matt999, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  7. Mike Carroll

Mike Carroll Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Definitely connect with other individuals-offer to help out with their marketing campaigns for free if that helps you get a foot in the door with firms.

Mike Carroll, Jul 27, 2013 IP
  8. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. It looks like the best thing for me to do is to jump in and go for it and read the couple of books I have.

It was mentioned that I should look for the opportunity to do free social media marketing work as a way to get my foot in the door. I started this thread because this coming Friday I will be working with a local hospital volunteering to help them with some social media work. I'm not quite exactly sure what I will be doing. I do have some experience with social media, just not as much as I would like.

wheelstb, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  9. ezinepoint

ezinepoint Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Read Social Media Blogs .
    Take a social Media Training Course.
    Attend Social Media Seminar and Webinars .

ezinepoint, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  10. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great ideas. Thank you

wheelstb, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  11. CandleKeep

CandleKeep Active Member

Best Answers:
    I say you just start creating profiles and interacting on whatever sites you want to target.

One thing I could personally advise, is to pick ONE social media profile at a time, build it up, learn how to share content, then move on.

Pick a few you want to build up first.

But, the best method, is to jump in and get your feet wet.

There's no substitute for taking action.. Right?

PS: Also, there are a ton of videos on YouTube that will give you some basic demonstration if you want to aid your learning curve.

:)

CandleKeep, Jul 28, 2013 IP
  12. Alrik Vincent

Alrik Vincent Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you told me which social media you wanted to focus on, then I will be able to help :)

Each social media has its own set of rules that you need to play by. There are tricks that you figure out on your own the more and more you use it. But the rules to succeed are limited so they wont take much time to learn.

Alrik Vincent, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  13. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a fairly decent handle on Facebook, I use it recreationally from time to time. I guess what I would like to learn is Google plus and Twitter.

wheelstb, Aug 4, 2013 IP
  14. Alrik Vincent

Alrik Vincent Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Google+ will not bring you much traffic. It is good for SEO but wont bring much traffic. Consider youtube.

Alrik Vincent, Aug 5, 2013 IP
  15. wheelstb

wheelstb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I was definitely thinking Twitter will be the most important one But, Twitter YouTube Facebook and Google plus seem to make up the most in demand platforms.

wheelstb, Aug 5, 2013 IP
  16. Alrik Vincent

Alrik Vincent Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you look at my reply to this thread, you will find a short guide on how to dominate Youtube - https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/is-youtube-views-buying-worth-it.2672473/#post-18676807

Alrik Vincent, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  17. marrisaN

marrisaN Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Pinterest is a great way to learn in an interactive manner. Since SMM is all about ideas and creativity there arent any breakthrough courses, learn as much as you can from the fellow marketers.

marrisaN, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  18. BearlyDoug

BearlyDoug Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sort of in the same boat (but via a different career path). Most of the stuff I have to handle is more community oriented with a bit of marketing as the end result.

If you get on Twitter, look me up and ask me to connect you with a few people that are *very* tied to Social Media marketing (Twitter handle is the same as here). One of the gals that I follow/interact with handles Social Media marketing for at least 4 bands (one *very* popular one). I've got a couple other people that I can get you connected with, as well.

Marketing, in of itself, is a tireless and oft thankless job, but for the right person with the right passion, you could make quite a name for yourself, if done correctly.

The biggest key, though, is when you're doing marketing stuff is to not make it look like you're marketing. Sometimes a simple back and forth conversation on Twitter or Facebook will handle all the PR/Marketing you need. :)

Lots of luck!

BearlyDoug, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  19. unna

unna Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best way to learn is to study and work on the subject. Do practicals and enjoy the results.

unna, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  20. Justin Koomba

Justin Koomba Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Test and try them. Practice, practice, practice. Get the feel for them, don't rush yourself. Social Media Sites are a really common thing in the Marketing Business.

Justin Koomba, Aug 8, 2013 IP