1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should my blog have its own logo?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ElscottHavoc, Jul 31, 2013.

This is more of a navigational issue and wondering what people think.

My main site is MustangExclusives.com and then we also have a blog at mustangexclusives.com/blog. Currently, I have the logo of the blog linking back to our main homepage - not the blog index. I'm wondering if this is good etiquette.

Or do you think it would make more sense to make a new blog logo defining that area as the blog and then have the blog logo that links to the blog home. If so should my main site link to my blog in a new window. What do you think?

ElscottHavoc, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  2. Jennifer M.

Jennifer M. Member

Best Answers:
    I think you've got two different issues here: logos and navigation.

Your blog's logo really should match or at least be complementary to your main website's look. Right now they're pretty different from each other and that's a bit jarring. It would help your "brand" if people didn't feel like they were in a different spot when they click on "blog". Helps maintain continuity if everything feels/looks the same. Things don't need to look identical on either site, but at the very least maintaining the same color scheme and logo can go a long way to making people feel they're having a consistent experience.

As far as navigation goes, the "home" button on any website should always take a person home on THAT website, not take them to a different website. Since your blog and business site are two different sites, it doesn't make sense for the "home" button on your blog to take them back to your business site. Not only is that confusing b/c it doesn't do what is expected, but it's rather misleading. Instead you could consider adding a "business" button on your blog to take people back to your business site.

Jennifer M., Jul 31, 2013 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  3. joidiamonds

joidiamonds Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with the above post on a lot points.

The main thing you want for any site is consistent brand, and that's what you lack the most. The two things you at least need to keep the same is the logo and the navigation. You have a minimum of 3 different navigations!! The main page, the blog page and this page http://mustangexclusives.com/learn_more/helpcenter.html ( after i saw that i quick checking for links because you have a clear problem ). I literally had to look at the address bar to make sure i was on the same website.

What i differ on from the previous post is having the navigation remain has the Home for the main website.
    Your blog is still apart of the main website, you just need your navigation to reflect that. Another reason is because your blog doesn't actually contain any pages, so there is no need; you don't actually navigate away. When you view a post, at the top of the it tells you "You are here:Home » On The Streets – Videos" in red ( which is great ), it tells the user where they are and how to get back to the blog home. When you correct your navigation problem there will be no confusion. You want everything to be seamless. You could also place an additional return to blog home link in the blog sidebar.

One other thing i want to point out, you need to protect your files. your complete directory is visible!! Please look into creating a .htaccess to make those directories forbidden.

Hope that helps. :)

joidiamonds, Aug 4, 2013 IP