1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trying to Optimize for The Panda

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by wissam, Aug 1, 2013.

I am attempting to optimize by doing the following:
    • Deleted content that didn't get traffic at all, posts with no views.
    • Minimized home page to 400 words per post, giving bigger chance to full post pages.
    • Added no-index to my categories and archives, leaving them for human access only.
    • No-followed links on posts to downloads etc.
    • Tweaked titles and removed blog name from them, also improved meta tags specially the description to include the post summary.
    • look what happened:
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    What did I do wrong above?
    plus what keywords shall I include on my meta tags? I mean shall I look at my highest incoming search terms or shall I generalize them from my niche, and how much is the limit for keywords.

Solved! View solution.
    wissam, Aug 1, 2013 IP
  2. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Instead of deleting content, find why the content is not ranking, if there is duplicate content, keyword density or stuffing problem then correct them.

alex06295, Aug 1, 2013 IP
  3. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds legit, gonna try it out.

wissam, Aug 2, 2013 IP
    It sounds like most of what you did was remove stuff (pages, content, de-indexing categories, links, etc.). That most likely wouldn't help traffic, but certainly has the potential to decrease traffic.

In addition to Alex's suggestion, I would recommend looking at what traffic you lost (search, referrals, direct, etc.) and see if you can figure out what caused the drop. In addition to the sources of traffic, you may need to check the keywords (if the traffic loss was from search) and you may want to see if any specific pages saw a big drop. You may find that a page (or category) you removed or de-indexed was getting some traffic or that many of them were only getting a little, but it would add up to a big decrease.

Kurt Steinbrueck
    OurChurch.Com

lesterj, Aug 2, 2013 IP
  5. TonyGE

TonyGE Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I couldn't agree more Kurt. Instead of deleting, wissam should've just improved the other contents. However, in my case I did what he did on a new site. I set the categories and archives to no-index. Also, I don't include the blog name on the pages and posts. But as what I have said, I am doing it on a new site and not on an already established one like his. My blog is more than a year now and I am quite happy with the traffic and income. In his case the site is a bit established already so creating alot of changes instantly would really affect the site.

TonyGE, Aug 2, 2013 IP
    wissam likes this.
  6. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks lesterj and TonyGE for the advice, yeah I guess you both are right, let me answer you lester, the traffic was not from categories and archive, also it was not from home page, I lost search position for keywords, as more sites show up with that content and same keywords.
    and seems like no matter what I write anymore get ranked on first page like before, I don't look for niches I just write and when something start getting hits I improve it.
    so I shall now remove the no-index tags, another question, do I need to put back full posts on home page? or keep the summary and read more links? my site is on my blog to the left.

wissam, Aug 2, 2013 IP
  7. TonyGE

TonyGE Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    In my opinion, you should only display summary on your homepage because it would create more duplicates if you will display the whole article there. Imagine you have a post then you put it under, lets say, 3 categories. You will now have the 5 the same content; 1 on the homepage, 1 in each category and the actual post itself.

TonyGE, Aug 2, 2013 IP
    wissam likes this.
  8. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's logical, guess the summary will do the trick for now, and for sure I am going to need to see whats wrong with the meta tags I recently added, I didn't had meta tags before, now I do, and it's not helping, I will need a way to find out what keywords shall I put in there.

wissam, Aug 2, 2013 IP
  9. johnsonlogic

johnsonlogic Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wissam, a well known member, so it's nothing to say but, as I experienced I'm performing very well. Use Google's disavow tool remove your unwanted links, Now start new work, like search engine submission, article posting, and participate in hot discussions like forum, yahoo answers, review sites and more.

johnsonlogic, Aug 2, 2013 IP
    wissam likes this.
  10. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you recommend a tool to check my backlinks before I get rid of them?, my PR is 3 and I been away from SEO for 2 years many things changed man, Google was not this harsh back in the days, and I am glad it is, finally I need to man up and get some serious SEO going.
    also I think it's my grammar that is destroying everything.

wissam, Aug 2, 2013 IP