1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Often Do You Blog?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by oo87, Jul 22, 2013.

I wanted to put this in the Copywriting section because I want the perspective of actual writers, not marketers running blogs for advertising profits.

Recently I started my own blog, and it was a long time coming. I have been freelancing for years, but haven't wanted to put the time or energy into starting my own site. Now that I have, and one unrelated to my career, it has me thinking: how often should I post?

Of course I know the advice from gurus, contradicting as it is. Several times a day for fast growth, or ignore the content until you have readers, or a few times a week. Everyone has their own advice.

I basically post when I have something to say, which is four or five times per week. Most of my focus is on social media engagement through Facebook and Twitter, including connecting with groups and pages I have been on for years. It is going well enough.

So tell me, writers...how often do you post to your blog? How has growth been? Using any other social media to promote it, and if so, how is that going?

Let's share tips for writers, not marketers!

Solved! View solution.
    oo87, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  2. alphaomegalady

alphaomegalady Member

Best Answers:
    If you're a writer, you blog everytime idea is knocking.
    If you're a marketer, you are more into tight schedule and deadline, so it will be more often.
    I personally use FB, twitter, google+ and social bookmarking sites.

alphaomegalady, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  3. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you hit it on the head. you write whenever you get a good idea. if your writing is forced, it will come through and may not appear sincere.

While blogging is very casual, I think it's also important that it be genuine. If you're only posting for posting's sake, it will not have the desired effect.

Also when your blog begins to gather some followers, and they comment on your postings and on each others's comments, you will have more fuel for your writing as well.

SCookAAM, Jul 24, 2013 IP
    oo87 likes this.
  4. dedideals

dedideals Member

Best Answers:
    Not much at the moment, every few days, depends what it is for really!

dedideals, Jul 24, 2013 IP
    I own 3 tech blogs since 2011 and I receive good traffic, post panda/penguin updates.

Site 1:

120 articles till date.
    PR1.
    Each article targets a keyword and has 3-4 images.
    Concentrated on ON PAGE factors and IMAGE optimization.
    NO social promotions - (Twitter/G+ = 0) & (FB = 210 likes)
    NO SEO (only 24 backlinks so far).

Result: 400-500 'unique' visits daily. Top page ranking in Google only for 4-5 articles. But several images found in first page on google images & 20-40$ adsense income per month.

Site 2&3:

200+ articles till date.
    PR2.
    Each article targets a keyword.
    1-2 images in posts but not in all posts.
    ON page SEO factors considered.
    No image optimization.
    Strong social promotions - (Twitter/G+ = 2k+ each) & (FB = 25k likes), yes, 25'k'!!!
    Link building done. Sites have 250 backlinks each.

Result: 600-800 'unique' visits daily. Top page ranking in Google for 30+ articles. No images from google image search. 50-100$ adsense income per month.

This is my real time experience. Let me know if you need anything else!!!

TPvinod, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  6. Knacky

Knacky Member

Best Answers:
    I learned from MOZ a good way to write and it is basically this: I write every time when a good idea go through my mind AND I see a different angle to write about the topic, so the content become more unique.

Knacky, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  7. ReferralCandy

ReferralCandy Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, i post a couple of times a week. Maximum of 3 thus far if i remember right - mostly because i'm busy with my other work and personal commitments. I get good traffic even on weeks that i only manage to chalk up a single blog post though. I've noticed a recurring pattern over the years i've been writing - always focus on the content at hand. Write if you've got something good to say, or something that people are interested to read about. "Filling in the gaps" with mediocre content just to hit the target of 4-5 times a week will actually do you more harm than great content pushed out 2x a week. Think of (especially) the first-time visitors to your site. They'll be skimming through your content, and many mediocre posts as opposed to a select, hard-hitting few would do little to have them hooked onto your site.

ReferralCandy, Jul 25, 2013 IP
    oo87 likes this.
  8. charmedcharlee

charmedcharlee Peon

Best Answers:
    I own just the one blog and I tend to try and post every other day, did notice however when there were a decline of posts due to how busy I was I was still getting good traffic to my blog. The important thing to remember is that if you are going to blog quite frequently the content has to be good otherwise like Referral Candy said it can really harm your blog.

charmedcharlee, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  9. gregorymark

gregorymark Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Post as much as possible without sacrificing quality or value

gregorymark, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  10. WebDeveloperSahil

WebDeveloperSahil Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use to post one post per 3 days. I'm blogging from 4-5 weeks and Gets only 50-100 unique impressions on my blog daily. If you need help with SEO, you may contact me and we can discuss and make better results. I'm not professional but I have some basic knowledge.

WebDeveloperSahil, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  11. Zaber Ansary

Zaber Ansary Member

Best Answers:
    I post most likely one or three days every week.

Zaber Ansary, Aug 31, 2013 IP
  12. only words

only words Member

Best Answers:
    Well, back when I did have a blog, it was updated fairly often. I found that I lost interest after a few months because it felt forced. I think I know where I went wrong now.

Creating a list of blog ideas with full outlines should make it easier to stick to a schedule. Again, this is just a theory. Guess I'll see what happens after I get back into blogging for myself.

only words, Aug 31, 2013 IP
  13. Auxi

Auxi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At the start every day - after few weeks one article per 2-3 days - after months one article per 5-7 days - after year looking for help :p

Auxi, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  14. Angie M Jordan

Angie M Jordan Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on your goals for your blog. AND it depends on your other activities. Meaning, in the time you aren't writing are you promoting your content or doing client work, or maybe you have a 9-5 and a family... It all starts with figuring out what you want.

You don't have to post everyday to get loads of traffic, but you do have to promote your content everyday. But I can tell you that the more I blog, the more traffic I get and the more Google loves me. It's just something I noticed. When I blog for 5 days in a row my blog gets a big surge in traffic and rankings.

Angie M Jordan, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  15. Himmelblau

Himmelblau Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    agree with angie :)

Himmelblau, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  16. JennArtistWriter

JennArtistWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the same rules apply for a "writer's" blog as an IM blog - you post as often as possible. I wouldn't post multiple times a day, just because I personally think it's too much. I won't ever post more than twice a day. If I have more ideas than that, I write them and save the draft for the following day. But that's a personal preference.

JennArtistWriter, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  17. Kafopija

Kafopija Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm an editor of a coffee related blog, and one thing I can tell from experience is that your results will be better if you post daily. Content is the KING! Every now when you post a new, fresh content you are inviting Google to index your blog over and over again. I start with posting 3 articles per week, and gain a little traffic. When I started to blog daily, the results improved. However you will need a lot of patience and work to find the best solution and the get the best results.

Kafopija, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  18. Seaner

Seaner Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I find myself writing down notes throughout the day, either in my phone or on a small notepad I can fit in my pocket.

Therefore, when I'm at my day job I can keep my ideas flowing during a caffeine binge while remembering them for later articles / posts.

Seaner, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  19. alphaomegalady

alphaomegalady Member

Best Answers:
    I only blog twice a week or even sometimes once a week.

alphaomegalady, Sep 17, 2013 IP
  20. Julia McCoy

Julia McCoy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We recommend blogging everyday with consistency (if at all possible). Your visitors will likely start counting on your blogging frequency, and so will the search engines! ;)

Julia McCoy, Sep 20, 2013 IP
    Conran likes this.