1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Alexa Rank Help In SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by TPvinod, Jul 22, 2013.

What is the use of Alexa rank of my blog? What all can I do with my alexa rank?

Solved! View solution.
    TPvinod, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa rank helps RE SEO like an extra hole in your erm foot. But it looks like a nice number some might be impressed by somewhere, sometime, over the rainbow, in a story book, far far away, once upon a time...

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  3. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    its a useless meaningless metric

Agent000, Jul 22, 2013 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  4. tricomax

tricomax Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa rank doesn't help in SEO. Alexa rank is good for website selling. Just sold some of my crappy website at good cost.

tricomax, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Doesn't help SEO in the slightest.

digitalpoint, Jul 22, 2013 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
    Alexa ranking is really useless. If you have a new site with 0 traffic, you can have the rank under 1,000,000 simply by visiting your site daily and having the alexa toolbar installed -> and people do this normally when they are checking their site, adding new articles, etc etc.

Alternatively, a site where the owner doesnt have the toolbar installed, and especially if the majority of the traffic is from mobile phones, might have a very bad alexa rank, yet still have high traffic.

I do (as well as a few others) use the alexa rank to give some statistics, but the amount of weight that is put on these statistics is very low.

And yes, there are fools that see one site that genuinely has a good alexa, and proper traffic and when they find another site with a better alexa rank, they foolishly think that the traffic level is the same(or better), when in fact, it could just be the owner who logs on daily to improve / build the site.

Just FYI, sellers from Digital Point (and flippa), do hire people to visit their site to improve their alexa ranking (as well as paying for xx daily traffic for a month or two) as doing this helps them to get more for an otherwise worthless website. As to why alexa rank is shown in listings on many site selling places, and appears to be promoted as a worthy and reliable piece of information, is beyond my understanding.

matt_62, Jul 22, 2013 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  7. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Matt, for your great response! Your answer provided a detailed explanation of what I asked for :)

You are right. Alexa rank for my site was in 30,00,000+ on July 10. I visited daily, commented on other sites, brought more visitors and suddenly the rank soared up to less than 900,000!

Since you mentioned the word 'selling', can you tell me for how much $$ can I sell my tech blog with 110 articles with 100% unique content, alexa rank around 800,000, 5$ per month adsense income and 100 unique visits per day (as seen in google analytics)??? 4 year old domain.

It would also be great if you can tell me the DOs and DONTs before selling my site in DP or Flippa..what parameters should I focus on?

TPvinod, Jul 22, 2013 IP
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is a formula for what to expect for your site
    Digitalpoint - $50 + (3 * monthly income)
    Flippa - $50 + (10 * monthly income)
    ( i used 10 however its usually between 6 and 10)

You need to browse both areas for sold sites and see how much they sold for.

Please note that this is my own made up forumla and doesnt apply to every site.

Personnally if its earning i would keep it and focus on how to improve the site and the ctr and get more traffic

matt_62, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  9. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To give you an idea on just how meaningless the metric is (for all purposes, not just SEO) - our recently launched site LinksListForum has an Alexa rank of 99,000 with a 7 day average of 35,000 - yet we're only receiving around 300 unique visits per day.... the reason? Because we're in a niche where the Alexa toolbar is installed on a significant number of our users.

To answer the original question, like everyone else has confirmed - no, it doesn't help whatsoever.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  10. Levy0707

Levy0707 Peon

Best Answers:
    Short answer - nope, it doesn't.
    Long answer - Alexa shoes how much traffic the site under consideration gets. I normally look at Alexa when I research advertising platforms, etc. The only signal that has at least some importance traffic-wise, is click-through rates form the SERPs, imo

Levy0707, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  11. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, it doesn't. It only bases that on the stats from people whom have the Alexa toolbar installed, as I explained in my previous post within this thread.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  12. Levy0707

Levy0707 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, WebDev, I didn't realize that. Which clearly shows how little I care about Alexa, but I've generally held it that it gives you a general idea. I guess it doesn't. mehh

What about the Compete score? Does anyone know if it more accurate? (not for SEO, for paid advertising research).

Levy0707, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  13. Majaal

Majaal Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is as important as getting listed in DMOZ ;)

Majaal, Jul 23, 2013 IP
    28081981 likes this.
  14. anjalirai

anjalirai Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa Rank does not help in ranking improvements. It shows of website reputation in local and world-wide. If Alexa rank is good means top 10 or 100 then website traffic or visitors is good and its reputation in better in user point of view.

anjalirai, Jul 23, 2013 IP
  15. OlegLola

OlegLola Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi!
    Alexa rank just show your current position and results. You need to analyze them and if it's not satisfying - try to improve the rank, doing the following:
    • Make sure that your site is optimized for the search engines.
    • Build on your site on original and unique content.
    • Submit your site to social bookmark sites
    • Update your site by adding new content that keeps users returning to your site.
    Good luck!

OlegLola, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  16. 28081981

28081981 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its just a figure and as per our experience, it hardly coordinates with google analytic stats. Its not of muc use, practically.

28081981, Jul 24, 2013 IP
  17. proson

proson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No. They are different indicator and only a small group of people use Alexa toolbar to record traffic. So why you care about Alexa??

proson, Jul 25, 2013 IP
  18. BigSEOpro

BigSEOpro Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa will not help you to gain improvements in your rankings. Simply because its too easy to manipulate the rankings in Alexa. You buy some cheap Asian traffic and you'll be in top 100K .

However its good to have in your arsenal. Having a good Alexa might help you for improving the Trust factor in your customer's mind. A site with good Alexa will convert better, if your customer's know what Alexa is all about.:)

BigSEOpro, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  19. My Property Stores

My Property Stores Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa traffic tell us about the reputation of our website. Alexa don't help for ranking your website.

My Property Stores, Jul 26, 2013 IP
  20. neetuk

neetuk Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, If alexa is less then traffic will be high for that website.

neetuk, Jul 29, 2013 IP