1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Graphic designers should know how to draw or not?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by Amalie, Jul 18, 2013.

I would like to know everybody's opinion on this. Personally I think that it is not necessary, however some sketching skills are required to sketch initial drafts of logos, web pages.
    besides I believe that drawing is something that also can be learned during time. Do you agree with me? Or Do you think it is a talent that one has or lacks.

Solved! View solution.
    Amalie, Jul 18, 2013 IP
    ronald3882 likes this.
  2. Jamendo

Jamendo Banned

Best Answers:
    If you want to make custom charactes or cartoons then you should know it for making web graphics its not necessary to drawing skills too much

Jamendo, Jul 19, 2013 IP
    I don't think it's necessary as long as you are good at what you do. However, since I was a little kid I liked drawing, I was taking art courses and my teacher even suggested me to start an arts school. haha Well, I didn't do that.. I started designing in Photoshop when I was around 16 and even though I'm definitely not the best designer out there people have always liked my work. So, I guess many of us designers enjoyed drawing from the very beginning and that's how we got interested in graphic design. :)

Katy, Jul 19, 2013 IP
    atty12 likes this.
  4. FreeFun4Every1

FreeFun4Every1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nope I don't think so, My Drawing is good only on Photoshop :p but when I pickup pencil and started drawing on paper then always end-up with something strange (Though looks creative :))

FreeFun4Every1, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  5. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    I think it doesn't matter what other think or say... I enjoy creating stuff with graphic softwares and I can draw as well. but with the canvas there is a limit.
    so, no one should judge your talent as long as you enjoy doing what you do.

Koala, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  6. heri hidayat

heri hidayat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't draw in the paper some sketching for design. I just open photoshop, then imagine for something, such as logos. :D
    that's my style..

heri hidayat, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  7. kenzo22

kenzo22 Member

Best Answers:
    I think that drawing is important for any designer as it allows to create more advanced projects using tablet. Drawing which is important for designer can be learned like any other skill so I think any good designer should know how to do it.

kenzo22, Jul 21, 2013 IP
  8. Jennifer M.

Jennifer M. Member

Best Answers:
    Drawing in and of itself is just a tool. For me, I don't draw particularly well, but the many drawing and illustration classes I've taken have helped me tremendously with learning how to see objects and represent them (whether on screen or on paper). Even though I mainly do computer work now, know the fundamentals of how to put an image together, how shadows work, how light works, etc, are all extremely vital things to know in graphic design. Learning how to visually pick apart and re-assemble a layout, image, or illustration is a very good skill and one that drawing classes can teach you well. Even if you don't end up actually drawing for a living, understanding those concepts is something that can only help you as a designer.

Jennifer M., Jul 31, 2013 IP