1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Photoshop?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by eric_wahlberg, Jul 17, 2013.

I have seen many web designers doing design in Photoshop?

I don't understand why designers need to design site on Photoshop?

We can do this through CSS and Dream Weaver too.

Isn't it?

eric_wahlberg, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  2. Vernard

Vernard Member

Best Answers:
    It all varies on what you are more comfortable using. Photoshop is indeed very popular but that's all for a reason. It's because it's a very powerful platform. I design my sites as I go, I do the html/css first then from there I create the images in Photoshop and implement them. That's just the way I learned. :)

Vernard, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Site and page design have nothing to do with images. Images are content or decoration, and if used as a design basis, create unneeded limits on the page.

If, after the site and pages are designed (based on content, vocabulary, and purpose), you want to create wire frames for visualization, you're better off using the appropriate tool, the vector graphics editor, eg. Inkscape.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  4. admin xxx

admin xxx Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Totally Agree!!

admin xxx, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  5. kalpeshscm

kalpeshscm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    If you design website In Photoshop, than you have multiple choice like easy to change image color and so many things and most important u save your time.

Kalpesh

kalpeshscm, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  6. -Cash-

-Cash- Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's a lot easier to see the final site with Photoshop, you can change element places/colors etc with few clicks without any coding. You also have A LOT more options for you site with Photoshop than coding.

-Cash-, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  7. HarmoniousQ

HarmoniousQ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Allows you to create something much faster, way better for quickly prototyping. I'd rather design it in photoshop and decide I don't like it in 10 minutes than spend hours building the website through code and then thinking I'll delete that instead.
    Also who the hell doesn't have photoshop.

HarmoniousQ, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  8. freelancewebaz

freelancewebaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Over time web developers come up with a personal workflow and tooling that works best for them but many start with tutorials that recommend things such as Photoshop for mockups. I prefer to mark my content up, do most of my layout in CSS and then use photoshop for making my header graphics, call to action graphics, etc.

Illustrator is also becoming a popular option for prototyping sites and is a bit more flexible than Photoshop. I highly recommend that you checkout a book called "UI Design with Adobe Illustrator" if you're looking for a PS alternative. It's a book published by Adobe and has some great tips for improving your web design efficiency using Illustrator.

freelancewebaz, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  9. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In the bad ol' days, before css, applications like Photoshop and Dreamweaver may have had a place in the web developer's toolbox. When I see someone today using Photoshop (or god forbid, that PoS, DW) for design work, I can only shrug and think, "there's someone who doesn't really understand."

I don't. That’s for the graphics people, not web developers (unless they wear that hat, too).

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  10. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let me rephrase that:

"Also who the hell doesn't have a pirated version of photoshop." :rolleyes:

Photoshop CS6 costs around 700 $. Quite a hefty sum.

GMF, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  11. jackburd

jackburd Active Member

Best Answers:
    we design first that's why we use photoshop. After that we do the coding

jackburd, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  12. kashifmughal

kashifmughal Member

Best Answers:
    my friend first of all we need UI (User Interface) then we will start front-end development using Dreamweaver or hand coded HTML / CSS, so initially we will depend on Photoshop while designing web page.

kashifmughal, Jul 19, 2013 IP
  13. Wasted

Wasted Active Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is indeed a powerful platform for web design, I've been using it for the past 12 years for designing my websites along with illustrator if I need vector icons / logos / vector items.

I would say that the main reason is because I can do pretty much anything with photoshop:
    • With the right skill you can design anything you dream of
    • Even if you are into clean designs, doing it first on photoshop can give you a clear look of how your website will look like before you have to work with HTML & CSS
    • It's really fun & easy to use once you get used to it
    • Even though some people recommend illustrator for UI (User Interface) design lately, I wouldn't recommend it over photoshop, but a good web designer should work with both.
    Key note to remember:
    Even if you design everything with photoshop, always remember it is better to use CSS/CSS3 instead of images/graphic elements as your site will be much faster.
    So basically, even if you designed an elemnt (like simple clean button) when you get into the coding part, try to achieve the same result with CSS.

Wasted, Jul 21, 2013 IP