1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Email spam explosion?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Owlcroft, May 28, 2004.

1. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, indeed it does. IBM has passed it on to a company that markets it now as "eCom station" or some such (I have the eCom upgrade but have not yet installed it owing to a fear of downtime if something gets stuck).

There are a lot of people who still believe that OS/2 was and is the best overall desktop os ever. Its chief drawback nowadays is the diminishing driver support from hardware makers, but things have scarcely reached a critical level or anything.

I keep thinking of moving to Linux, but then I look at the stuff on the test Linux box my lady uses for her computer system, and look back at my os/2 box, and ask myself, "Self, are you nuts?"

Owlcroft, May 28, 2004 IP
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    haha! That makes me want to learn how to write scripts....
    :D

ViciousSummer, May 28, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Why bother? You have a passive aggressive brother who can make PHP ponies.

digitalpoint, May 28, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Further note:

It turns out that the last time I communicated witha rep of my host, either I didn't articulate my question adequately or he was a bit of a slowcoach, because I do have filtering capability.

This arose because spam took yet another quantum leap a few days ago. When I woke up and went online for the day, I couldn't access my email. A quick call revealed that I was blocked off because, in 10 hours, my mailbox contents had risen from zero to--wait for it--601 megabytes. That's about 60 Megabytes of mail--essentially all spam--an hour: a megabyte a minute. I didn't know they could receive email at that pace.

Well, as it turns out, I can set up "recipes" for each domain I own, where a "recipe" is basically a whitelist and a blacklist. So I whitelist a couple of real addresses (typically "webmaster@xxx.xxx") and blacklist generically anything not whitelisted. Lo! Digestion flows like a river, all is well.

Why couldn't the ^%^&#$()^%^s have told me this @#*%^#$%^& before??!?!!?

Owlcroft, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  5. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    If you dont have server side blocking or want secondary spam filtering or email classification then POPFile (http://popfile.sourceforge.net) is the way to go.

This to is free and small ... you teach what is spam and not spam, after the first month its filtering about 99% of the spam i receive. :)

payoutwindow, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  6. kelbo

kelbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised to hear that Yahoo does such "a great job at filtering the spam out." My junk email is a yahoo account because that is where I can't seem to keep my email list clean, no matter what I do. I currently use Google Chrome and am distressed when one sneaks through the filter. After experiencing what some of you have gone through I spent a lot of money on anti spyware and found that a lot of my email problems were from the bots and trojans, etc. Once I got my system finally cleaned up I have been a much happier camper.

kelbo, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  7. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Forum spam can be called when someone replies to a thread that has been dead for 9 years!!!! Not so relevant when so much can change in 6 months time.

debunked, Jul 17, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  8. devilx

devilx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I totally agree with you, I think you should take at least a few years to be considered as a spam post.

devilx, Jul 18, 2013 IP