1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking of a niche site, but will it lead to legal trouble?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Robert Thurgood, Jul 14, 2013.

I was thinking of starting a ncihe site on coupons for specific clothing company. However, I am curious as to the legal aspects of this? First off, would there be any TM issues? Second, I was going to surf the web to find coupons from other sites and then compile a best list. Will the other coupon sites come after me? Are there coupon codes exclusive to them?

Thanks

Robert Thurgood, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  2. stelthius

stelthius Member

Best Answers:
    I think mainly you have to figure if the coupons limited or only designed for lets say xyz.com ? If you take it and advertise it on your site will it be valid ? I mean, wouldn't it be just as easy to contact the sites you wish to offer coupons for or see others offering coupons for and checking it out ? save all headaches and possible legal actions ?

stelthius, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  3. pingpipe

pingpipe Active Member

Best Answers:
    Those other sites are probably affiliates of the clothing companies, if that is the case when you copy their coupons you will be earning them commissions. There is more opportunity to make money of you contact the clothing companies directly and ask them how you can become an affiliate with your own coupon codes.

pingpipe, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:

You don't give enough details but the short answer is that if you use someone's trademark in a way that creates a likelihood of confusion, there are trademark issues.

As for compiling lists of coupon codes from other sites, the codes themselves would not be protected by trademark or copyrights, but you would likely be violating the terms and conditions of those sites. The T&C would be a contract between you and the site you took the codes from. No one can say whether those sites would come after you for breaching the contract.

Business Attorney, Jul 16, 2013 IP