1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help: WordPress + MailChimp = Petition

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Roy Harmon, Jul 14, 2013.

I'm trying to create a form that can be used on a WordPress page. When someone fills out the forum and clicks submit I want it to simultaneously "sign" their name to a petition and send their email to MailChimp.

What's the best way to do that?

Roy Harmon, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  2. robbydeletter

robbydeletter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Gravity forms

robbydeletter, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  3. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel Lew, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  4. Roy Harmon

Roy Harmon Member

Best Answers:
  5. Roy Harmon

Roy Harmon Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't there some way I could do it for free?

6. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its integrated with wordpress would be the point. If you want to fire things off via mailchimp just implement a mail chimp plugin. This is trivially easy stuff. The first plugin I listed will allow you to not use the php mail function to send them immediately. Once you have captured anything in wp its a piece of cake to deal with.

Not withstanding that fact. My solution already bakes in social media and a range of other things. I suspect you are spinning your wheels a bit here.

Nigel

7. Roy Harmon

Roy Harmon Member

Best Answers:
    That might work if this were a project I was doing for myself, but it's something I'm working on for a client. I need to have the petition signed and the email address sent to MailChimp simultaneously. If it's a piece of cake to do that I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how :)

8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you need everything fully automated you have to use the API and Mandrill. I don't quite have my head around the latter. I am implementing it into magento as we speak though. Its a bit more hectic.

That said, you need to essentially replace the wp_mail function with this http://wordpress.org/plugins/wpmandrill/ and mandrill and mailchimp do the communicating and actual work. You still design everything that gets sent in mailchimp and share that template with mandrill.

Info here http://connect.mailchimp.com/integrations/transactional-emails-from-wordpress

Sorry I was a bit vague. I suspect I missed a step.

Nigel

Roy Harmon likes this.
  9. Roy Harmon

Roy Harmon Member

Best Answers:

That does seem more complicated. Thanks for your help!

10. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I just read that page over and its not really. Its just a logic step in the middle of the process. Just install the petition plugin then install mandrill which is going to over ride wordpress sending that transactional email. You are simply going to have to fill out a few details on the mandrill plugin and in that account associate it with the mailchimp account/template.

Its actually really polished I think mailchimp simply extended their product a bit more modular then gluing into the main mailchimp dashboard. Mailchimp is largely for sending mass emails. Mandrill deals with transactional stuff on a per email basis. Much like a shopping cart where orders are placed and the emails have dynamic content in them.

Nigel