1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing from blogspot.com to .com.ar will hurt my blog?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by KarenBrown, Jul 11, 2013.

Hello, guys i have a blog and i'm happy with the fact that i get views from the whole world, specially from USA,AUS and Europe (they pay more..lol)
    Anyway, my blogspot name is not the best, back when i did it i wasn't aware of SEO..

I happen to have .com.ar domain (i'm Argentinian) which is good because it's the name of my site. But i wonder if i change the domain i will lose US visitors? or not?
    My blog is written fully in English there's no Spanish at all.

Also when i make a new article it appears on google like 2 seconds after i send it and i have very good position on google, when i search something from my blog i'm usually first against competitor sites!

Will i lose all that if i change domain? if that's the case i will stick with bad blogger.com domain.

If the .com.ar is a bad idea, what extesion do you recommend me to get US traffic besides .com, because the owner of my blog name is asking me $1500 dollars to buy it! INSANE!

KarenBrown, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly when you search are you logged in to Google?

Next is this blogspot thing free to use?

If so why not keep it?

In regard to your .com.ar domain question it is really only going to ever be any real good for Argentina and even if you told Google it was international it is not going to be easy by any means and would take you months perhaps years to rank outside Argentina, if ever, as you are not a gov edu or such site.

Now that said please send me some details via a message and I will see what advice I can give you as you perhaps don't want to mention the name here, am I right?

And if that does not appeal here is a list of domain ext's which do not need to be geo targeted at or in Google webmaster > https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1347922?hl=en

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 11, 2013 IP
    atty12 likes this.
  3. drewtoby

drewtoby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, once you change your domain name you loose your current rankings. It is like starting over.

drewtoby, Jul 11, 2013 IP
    Revelations-Decoder likes this.
  4. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

haha I forgot to add that well spotted and said drewtoby LOL

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  5. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    but if your traffic comes from organic search,. I won't worry, coz search engine still find you and redirect user to your new domain.com.

but will loose your PR and backlink that other user has share it on their blog (probably) :D

robyries, Jul 11, 2013 IP
    wissam likes this.
  6. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, there we go again.
    When you connect a domain through blogger it self, the old links that are you.blogspot.com will redirect to you.com using a 301 redirect which is healthy and after some time your domain will replace your blog and you keep the traffic and don't lose your keywords, but only one thing for sure, the domain name will start to have the rule as always.
    Regards

wissam, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  7. mrgilb

mrgilb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dont worry about it you will be fine.

mrgilb, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  8. BloggerLovers

BloggerLovers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it's no problem to change/ custom domain,
    you will lose your visitor first, but your visitor will come back normally,. it takes several day to make visitor normal like before.

BloggerLovers, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  9. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    I decided to drop the .com.ar and buy a .com
    it's like $10 a year no biggie.

But do you think it will make any difference, i mean:
    baddomain.blogspot.com
    Code (markup):
    (example)
    vs
    good-short.com
    Code (markup):
    (example)

in terms of visitors, will i see an increase or it will be exactly the same?
    I see the .blogspot.com ranks very good on google search (not at all on other search engines)
    will the .com perform as well?

@Revelations-Decoder
    Yes i'm loged, are you implying that i see my recently posted article on a google search because i'm logged and google is creating a bubble result only for me, while the rest of the world don't see it?

KarenBrown, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  10. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

you see much different results logged in, generally IMHO they are rubbish results which are completely misleading and have you thinking all sorts of false things.

you will be seeing results based on your behaviour more than ever when logged in. I have to show clients their results logged out to make them unsderstand anything I am saying usually

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  11. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alright, haven't really thought about that. I'll start searching myself with IE then xD (don't wanna delog)

What about the .com vs .blogspot.com, am i wasting time or it does matter?

12. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

IE?

Why IE I am talking about being logged in to Google. Try Firefox not IE if you think using chrome is the problem, but it's not, it's being logged in to Google I am referring to which is somehting you should never be/do when searching on Google in any browser IMHO.

Try IE , Firefox and Chrome perhaps for a laugh and see the diferences the odd time. Sometimes, not always you will see the odd difference. But it's being logged in to your G accounts that will give you the biggest load of nonsense results using the G SE.

13. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's a little misunderstanding.
    I use chrome, and i'm always logged on gmail.
    Since i don't wanna delog to see the google search and log back again i open iE explorer which i never use and where i'm not logged, that way it's fater than loggin in and out.

14. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

That's one way to see one set of results.

I try to never login to G unless I must or need to or would like to for something in particular . Google's results are skewiff enough already based on various factors without adding them by being logged in to make them worse.

Of course you can clear things every so often when logged out which helps a bit...

15. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    So back to my question :p
    Shall i buy a .com or it will make no difference to a .blogspot.com

16. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:
    I would if I had fallen into using one of those free blog things, so I would also keep what you have and run it along side it linking the two (but using fresh yet related new content), but that's just me looking at things with something like 1 to 2% of the story to think on and lunch on my mind right now. :p

17. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    The blog is already to much work for 1 person, i'm not gonna make a new site, just change the url.
    I think it's pointless but i wanted to be sure, if i will see an increase on traffic or better positioning on search results i'll do it right away.

18. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

but the only real true way to find that out is to do it, as just because soemone says their experience went well or badly in that regard does not mean your experience will be the same.

though finding out info, as you are doing, is always good to find out the ins and outs of course.

19. KarenBrown

KarenBrown Active Member

Best Answers:
    Right, i'll have to see for myself.
    Since all the people accesing the old url will be automatically redirected to the new .com i guess there's no way this will hurt my blog.

20. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Why do I think that if he makes 301 redirection, everything will be OK and the same just before he purchased the new domain? So I suggest doing this and cope with every problem much quicker and easier! :)

patco, Jul 12, 2013 IP