1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So how does the hiring process work?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Wizard, Jul 9, 2013.

I am wanting to send out newsletters to potential clients. Not the email type but the real newsletters that are mailed.

I am thinking of hiring a writer to create the articles for me.

I have been reading posts here and in the market place and have concerns about getting readable content. My target audience is in the Midwest and broken/poor English is not going to cut it.

When you hire someone, do you pay upfront or do you pay when the content is delivered? What if the content is crap? Are you committed to pay?

Wizard, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Very good question, I have access to writers with us and also use freelance. Unfortunately our contracted writers are in high demand, and it's up to the boss who gets to utilize them and when. So when I've had to go to freelance I have always *demanded* references upfront before we discuss fees, and methods of payment.
    If the references are up to snuff, I have always arranged payment up to 50% upfront, and the balance after completion of work.

Writers that can produce good references will probably provide good content, and the quality of their work probably wouldn't come up as an issue. My experience has been asking for some minor tweeking as to grammar, and a bit more info on occassion. My freelancers have not given me any grief thus far.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  3. marcom

marcom Member

Best Answers:
    If you use a service like fiverr, than there is nearly no risk.
    You pay upfront but seller get only paid if he delivers, otherwise you get your money back.

marcom, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pay attention to how any potential writer replies to your query letter. Do they send you a canned response without mentioning your specific needs? Do they spend more time discussing your project or their own abilities? Do they ask you for more information before quoting you a price or do they give you a price without really having all of the information about your project?

Depending upon how you want your newsletter structured and whether or not you intend to create several issues, you might want to consider hiring several different writers and assign each a single article. While that creates a bit more overhead for you, it might make for a more compelling read as well as serve as a way to find "the writer" for your business needs.

Good luck.

YMC, Jul 10, 2013 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You would have to be utterly mad to use fiverr for anything. The owners made a killing though, largely stuck a nail in SEO while they were at it. The latter is fine with me. I grow weary of having to weed through peoples useless adsense sites.

To answer the op's question you should look at mailchimp. That stuff is beautiful and write things yourself where doable. If not then a huge indicator for me is if folks contact me and they want way more cash then folks write for on DP.

What exactly are you needing content for? If its current news and stuff for instance, its a totally different breed of individual you require.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  6. jeewant_gupta_051275

jeewant_gupta_051275 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can also use the likes of e-lance if you are willing to pay a premium. The money is kept is an escrow account and is paid out or reversed to the buyer based on the quality of the service. In forums like DP, going through a writer's iTrader points, previous threads and client testimonials helps a lot in selecting the right talent. While hiring writers, always remember this golden rule:
    "If they can't write their own PR well, they might as well not write a good PR for you either"

jeewant_gupta_051275, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  7. Wizard

Wizard Member

Best Answers:
    I am opening a computer retail store. My target customers are home users and small office/home office users. I plan on mailing newsletters and am wanting articles related to that audience. Content like computer tips, info on viruses, importance of data backup, etc.

The newsletters are part of my marketing campaign and will be sent out monthly. Am wanting related content on a regular basis.

One of the related forums for small computer stores is a guy who does this for around $50 per month. Well within my budget but I was thinking if I could get unique content that might be better. Was thinking of doing it myself but I am going to be busy enough with everything else related to the startup.

Thanks to everyone else who took time in replying. Have received some good information on my question.

Wizard, Jul 11, 2013 IP