1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

google's results...controlled by humans!

Discussion in 'Google' started by shae, Dec 4, 2006.

shae, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  2. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry but I don't get the point of your self promotion post. Your "articles" if you want to call them that really don't say much or provide any exciting explanations to anything.

As far as http://eval.google.com/ goes, this doesn't appear to be anything bug one of Google's data centers they might use to evaluate their algorithms when doing "updates". The results did not look any different than the results I might see from http://www.google.com

KLB, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  3. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's pretty obvious that with millions of websites and millions of possible queries, google is NOT going to manually select top results. They don't have to either, they trust on the 'collective' human intelligence to link to what's useful, and ignore what's not. This can be manipulated to some extent, but generally speaking it still works - especially since the links count more if they are 'on topic'.

kh7, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  4. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    No, its not possible for Google to recruit ppl to rank sites for individual queries. :)

Mong, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  5. shae

shae Peon

Best Answers:
    the article explains what eval is, and there is a flash demo showing the interface used by humans to compare and rate SERPS

it does not suggest that humans have a hand in all keywords, but surely the most popular. how many people do you know ranked in the top 3 for keywords that TRUELY ARE valuable?

search google for something like auto insurance, do you see the top listings ever being a page filled with articles on how to get the best rates or find the best dealer?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...:official&hs=CpJ&q=auto+insurance&btnG=Search

I truely believe that at very least the top 3 results are closely moderated by human input, on google's side.

shae, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  6. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The article and video did not prove anything...I can make that exact video using my pc and Snag-it.

In fact i've fooled a lot of my friends that way.

oseymour, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  7. shae

shae Peon

Best Answers:
    the point is still valid, show me a query where a very competitive term is occupied by anything other than what you may expect.

shae, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  8. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    Shae, the point is not valid and your demonstration proved nothing other than you don't understand what you claim to know. Google loathes using manual means to rank sites. Do some sites get manually adjusted? Yes but it is always to lower their ranking (e.g. banning spammers) they do not manually raise the rankings of individual sites/pages. They probably use some sort of evaluation process of how good ranking results are to help evaluate AUTOMATED algorithms in an effort to improve the overall quality of the search results. In other words they pick sample search results and evaluate the overall results to decide what "magic juice" is added to their secret algorithm sauce.

If a specific blend of "magic juice" results in higher overall evaluation scores for test searches it is added to the sauce. If a specific blend does not result in a higher evaluation score it is discarded. This is why we see all kinds of crazy results during major Google updates with sites bouncing around. Somebody is tweaking the magic juice blend to see if they can get the desired effect.

KLB, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  9. shae

shae Peon

Best Answers:
    my point IS valid. I never claimed that sites were manually ranked up, im suggesting that the top 3 are closely moderated by humans evaluating which sites are more relevant for the ranking.

never did i suggest that somewhere is a sweat shop of people manually deciding what page gets what SERP. only controlling what sites make the top 3.

show me any listing that has a significant volume of searches done, where a MFA site or something similar is a top 2 result. wont happen.

shae, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  10. TorchedSEO

TorchedSEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lame linkbaiting attempt dude.

TorchedSEO, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  11. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    cormac, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  12. darkangel

darkangel Banned

Best Answers:
    a human edited search engine

darkangel, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  13. shae

shae Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, because my blog links direct to the article + the flash on another site, and here we have a whole discussion going on...
    why would i try to link bait on a SEO forum??

anyway, if you chose not to believe it, thats fine. but it is hard to disprove it when no one can provide a result where SEO techniques have netted a 1-3 result for a popular keyword.

i dont understand why people are so hostile on here?

shae, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  14. shae

shae Peon

Best Answers:
    shae, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  15. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then don't. Copy and paste works just fine.

DirtyDog, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  16. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Man..... thats deep bro :p

malcolm1, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  17. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    I read this one about a week ago. I believe it. It was on digg.

Austars, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  18. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    stupid claim and stupid reference!
    If they were to put their evaluation servers online it wouldn't be eval.google.com, come on!!
    Plus every software and hardware company has to do some testing to evaluate its product against a benchmark. Some do exhaustive simulations and some use formal methods.

enQuira, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  19. directorycollector

directorycollector Peon

Best Answers:
    I would think that this is no different from any I.T. shop that want to evaluate the results of a new program or in this case search algorithm.

It's appears to be simple quality assurance, nothing more.

directorycollector, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  20. Kaptain Kangaroo

Kaptain Kangaroo Peon

Best Answers:
    I was going to comment on this thread, but.............:rolleyes:

Kaptain Kangaroo, Dec 5, 2006 IP