1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Very Effective Traffic Generation Technique

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by JCMarketer, Jul 10, 2013.

Has anyone tried viral giveaways? And no, I don’t mean passing on a virus you need to take medication for.

A viral giveaway works as follows.

For a limited amount of time (usually two weeks) a viral giveaway will take place on the web. If you want to build your list this is a great thing to get your head around.

All you do - is contribute a free gift (usually an eBook) to this giveaway.

Now if you don't have your own gift - either write one, or get the rights (often for free) to a product and use that - or use some PLR articles and change the name on them (which your allowed to do) to yours. Bundle a few of these PLR articles together and suddenly you have a report/eBook that you can use. Anyway - this article is not about product creation...

Once you have a free gift - you simply upload it to the viral giveaway site.

And that's pretty much it.

Then when the giveaway goes live traffic flows to the site.

And if someone likes the look of your gift - they click on it - and are taken to your site. There you have you opt in form. They fill in their details - you get them on your list - they get the free gift. Simple but effective.

Now - the only 'catch' is that when a visitor goes to the giveaway they do have to sign up (for free) to take part. And then - they have to sign up again for each gift they want. It's hardly a huge downside however - but worth noting. Some people may therefore use an email address that they only use for 'free' stuff.

As a means to start building a list - this really is pretty easy and a great way to get your feet wet in this wonderful business - and at no cost.

And there are MANY viral giveaways on the web. Take a look at newjvgiveaways.com or just Google viral giveaways.

To Your Success!
    JCMarketer

JCMarketer, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  2. Branko Zecevic

Branko Zecevic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, sounds like a a good strategy, but I'm interested
    in your experience with this technique!
    Have you tested it and what results you got!?
    I mean are you built responsive email list in this way!?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    Branko Zecevic, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  3. Khadaji

Khadaji Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's better to be the one hosting the Giveaway event... the host gets everyone's email address added to his list, the contributors only get as many signups as are interested in their 'freebie'.

Khadaji, Jul 10, 2013 IP
    Howard Lim likes this.
  4. wzn888

wzn888 Member

Best Answers:
    this looks cool,thanks for sharing

wzn888, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  5. Gregory Elfrink

Gregory Elfrink Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What website are you using for the viral giveaway?
    It definitely sounds intriguing. I wonder how it is working for people in terms of building their list and then converting said subscribers.

Gregory Elfrink, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  6. rbates

rbates Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Giveaways used to be a great way to get 30 or 40 people per event added to a list.
    Now they are not as effective. You will still get a few opt-ins (which is better than none),
    but that's about it. The good thing is that you can usually join and are allowed at least
    one gift (sometimes two) to giveaway.

You will always be asked to upgrade so that you can put up more gifts; the number of gifts that you can add will vary from event to event. If you can upgrade and can add 6 or more items to a giveaway (the more you add, the better your chances of getting more opt-ins) for under $10 it is worth considering. You can also put up banners and other ads (which you should definitely do) when you upgrade. If you do the work, and take the time to prepare, you can add a few opt-ins to your list. But, like anything else, it takes some initial work. Once you have things set up, you don't have much to do the next time.

One thing to watch out for, if you do participate in a giveaway event, is to pay attention
    to who is marketing it. Also, try to check out who is contributing. If you see
    the same people contributing, then you may want to pass. The reason for this is that
    most contributors send people from the same lists to the event. Most of the people who put up gifts are using the same giveaway gifts again and again. So, this means that the
    people who are coming from these lists are seeing the same things over and over. At some point they ignore the emails for giveaways. But, most lists are growing so there will usually be new people.

There used to be fewer events, so there was more interest. As mentioned above,
    hosting one of these will provide a larger list than just contributing.

rbates, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  7. Howard Lim

Howard Lim Active Member

Best Answers:
    I rather contact gurus and cross sell products. It is true that i may not get more emails, but it is a fast way to get sales. Of course you can only do this with a moderate list, but to me this is the best strategy for sales i have ever used.

However your idea is not bad. But do take note that you may receive emails/subscribers that are only looking for free stuff and not actually willing to spend. :)

Howard Lim, Jul 12, 2013 IP
  8. JohnApuna

JohnApuna Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its like everything else on the net. It probably worked really well when the person who came up with it did it first. Now youre saying there are plenty all over the internet? I think that de-values the whole idea. You might still see some results but relatively lower than what was originally achieved. I would bet on thinking of something unique and going with that

JohnApuna, Jul 12, 2013 IP