1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vBulletin Database Engine: MYISAM or InnoDB?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by sdi_employee, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Is converting your tables from MYISAM to InnoDB worth it?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2013.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How's the SHOW PROCESSLIST looking? Less concurrent connections running queries?

digitalpoint, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  2. sdi_employee

sdi_employee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Right now there's only around 5, but that's how it was most of the time before. It only massed tons of connections when there were a ton of queries waiting for a table lock to resolve.

Generally when that happens, it'll get bad enough that our monitoring service will timeout a request, and I'll get an email, and that hasn't happened since I added the extra ram. It has gone a couple of days in the past without doing that before, so I'll continue to reserve judgement; that being said, it looks pretty good right now.

We do have a bit of a lull in traffic compared to yesterday when we had the problems though. Still plenty of folks upset posting about the 5 hours of downtime yesterday :p

sdi_employee, Jul 10, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.
  3. sdi_employee

sdi_employee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just a followup comment on this whole process:

After adding the additional RAM (quadrupling to 32GB), the slow query log has logged ZERO slow queries (notably, I cleared the slow query log while MySQL was running and this actually stopped the logging without me knowing for a few days until I turned it back on again), and we have had no complaints about the site running slow, and ZERO alert emails telling us the site wasn't accessible.

It's pretty much a miracle.

So for future folks reading this thread wondering why their vBulletin install isn't as speedy as it could be, and you think they've tried everything... Have you tried increasing the RAM so much that your entire database could fit into it a easily a few times? lol.

sdi_employee, Jul 25, 2013 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.