1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help deciding HOW to SAFELY offer my domain name for sale

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by ae7ae, Jan 8, 2013.

Hi all from a newbie to this forum. I have a really great domain name that I registered over 20 years ago. I have not taken advantage of its potential and now feel it would be better in the hands of someone else. I guess I am not supposed to mention the name here...so I won't...suffice it to say it is a single, highly searched word with a .org suffix. I have read heaps of advice and cautions, but, I am getting more and more confused as to the best/safest method to use to sell this name (estimated value over $50,000). I do not want to be scammed, defrauded, ripped-off...and want to get the highest price possible that in a SAFE manner. I guess I will need to use an experienced broker and escrow service (??) I guess I am also getting very paranoid reading about all the 'look good' scammers out there and do not want to get ripped off! So, some honest advice from some very experienced forum members would really be appreciated! I only have the basic free membeship so don't refer me to any fourm or sub-forum threads that requires a higher level of membership. Thanks in advance. Eddie

ae7ae, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  2. promo

promo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Eddie

I have sold domains here on DP and several other forums. I have sold domains on Ebay, Sedo.com, afternic, flippa, NDX, godaddy auctions and through direct contact when potential buyers wrote me directly. I have never been scammed (lucky me), but also take my precautions.

You see, its not really the venue where you sell the domain that is important, but the method of handling the deal. Some venues have inhouse escrow services, like afternic and sedo. But you really dont need those. You can always use Escrow.com which makes you 100% safe as a seller (not as a buyer, but lets leave that for another post).

Do your due diligence once you get an offer and dont be scared of putting the name out there. If you want you can PM me the name in question and I can give you some specific advice based on the quality of the name.

promo, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  3. ae7ae

ae7ae Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for responding. I am not yet prepared to release the name yet. There must be some 'undesirable' types out there that can figure out a way of hijacking the name...just as they steal personal information about innocent people and take big advantage of them with no recourse! Is there some reputable legal firm that can help me with protection and advice? We're talking about a BIG MONEY (at least to me!) asset, and I do not want my ignorance to allow anyone to take advantage of me. Am I paranoid...You bet I am!! Again...thank you for the information.

ae7ae, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  4. I.am

I.am Peon

Best Answers:
    In my view, you have to keep 2 significant thing in mind, which are:
    1. the reputation of the buyer
    2. the method of payment you are having, for example using paypal, the buyer can do a refund that makes things really complicated and lets be honest these days paypal is not safe for virtual goods like domain names

I.am, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  5. TysonKSix

TysonKSix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My advice would be to use an industry expert such as Morgan Linton or Michael Berkens to secure a premium price for your domain while making sure you take the necessary precautions. This industry can be intimidating and technical when you first get into it. Congrats on the purchase 20 years ago. Great forward thinking and Good Luck.

TysonKSix, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  6. ae7ae

ae7ae Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice...what would you consider "necessary precautions?" if I contact Linton or Berkens?

ae7ae, Jan 13, 2013 IP
  7. TysonKSix

TysonKSix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I meant that they would protect your interests and walk you through the domain selling process while getting you a premium dollar value for your domain.

TysonKSix, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  8. ae7ae

ae7ae Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks again...understood!

ae7ae, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with everything he said.

browntwn, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  10. Kwikode

Kwikode Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been a member of Flippa.com for years. I recommend them for buying and selling domains, websites and any web based property, never had an issue.

Kwikode, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  11. ahost

ahost Active Member

Best Answers:
    Big domain marketplaces like Sedo or Snapnames/Moniker conduct premium auction events where high quality domain names have max changes to be sold for the highest price. I would recommend you to register with Sedo.com and Snapnames.com and look for the nearest auctions where a domain submission is open.

ahost, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  12. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    To sell your domain to an end-user, try Afternic or GreatDomains.
    To sell your domain to a domain reseller (lower price, obviously), go to DomainState or DNForum.

war_machine, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  13. w11guy

w11guy Member

Best Answers:
    No need to be paranoid. Either use a good broker or an escrow service, as you already suggested. There's no reason to worry at all.

w11guy, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  14. Avabelle

Avabelle Peon

Best Answers:
    I am in the exact same situation as you. I keep hearing the Sedo is the best place (they use Escrow) - but I would love to hear how your sale goes. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat. :)

Avabelle, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  15. Avabelle

Avabelle Peon

Best Answers:
    May I ask how Morgan Linton or Michael Berkens can secure a premium price for your domain? Do you pay them for advice? Or do they sell the domain for you and take a cut? Thanks...

Avabelle, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  16. TysonKSix

TysonKSix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with everyone on the board. Sedo, afternic, really any legitimate domain platform will sale your name for you, without much trouble, however, big name brokers know certain industry domainers that have creative vision for certain generic domain names. Like selling a multi million dollar condo in new york, you don't just list it with any real estate agent, you list with the one that will bring the wealthy buyer that are looking to spend money for quality.

I'm not sure what there commission structures are, but that is something to negotiate.

TysonKSix, Feb 4, 2013 IP
  17. Avabelle

Avabelle Peon

Best Answers:
    How does one find a good, honest broker?

Avabelle, Feb 4, 2013 IP
  18. leoxurious

leoxurious Member

Best Answers:
    Your domain name being 20years old dosent automatically make your domain highly valuable.
    Since your domain name is 20years old, then i want to assume it should probably be a Single word domain name atleast under 7 characters and max under 10 characters.
    From my experience.here are some factors that will definitely assure you that your domain name is a pot of gold.
    1. Well aged - yours is 20year old ,which is super and means its rare :)
    2. Is it a single word or two word domain name, single dictionary word names score highest values. They'r hot cakes on the market.
    3. Global monthly search volume / average CPC for the exact match keywords that make up the domain name and CPC of other related keywords. Some domain investors like to look at the ROI of a domain name and the average CPC is good pointer on possible investment in a domain name since there are many advertisers paying top dollar to target those keywords.
    4. The niche of your domain name ( also relates to CPC indirectly). As we all know some niche are much more sought after than others. example a domain in finance, health,real estate, ecommerce etc are top earners compared to others.
    5. In some or most cases, we compared similar domain sales history of similar domains to yours. Its gives you an earlier signal of what an investor may likely pay for yours.

I want to list more point but i have to go to bed now,hung out tonight and had some few drinks :cool:.

If you domain name is short enough and as good as you say it is, then i will recommend applying your domain for acceptance into the next sedo GREATDOMAINS auction. Your domains stats will be reviewed and analyzed to confirm it is truely a premium domain name and worth being listed in their auction. The auction is usually held once every month and you have to wait for about 3days to get a response if your domain has been accepted or not.
    Two of my domain names just got accepted and will be listed in the sedo GreatDomains Auction comingup july 18th and runs for about a week or so. Just hours after my domain was accepted, i placed it in the correct category and viola i currently have over 300 views and counting. I am very confident i will get the best price selling via their platform.
    And they also provide escrow so NO WORRIES :cool::).

Ok am out for the last time before i sleepoff on here..Will update u guyz on how it goes after i sell & @ae7ae , i hope i have helped out a bit..

leoxurious, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  19. ae7ae

ae7ae Peon

Best Answers:
    I sure appreciate all the remarks and recommendations...thank you all! A special thanks to the response from a very tired responder!
    OK...the name I wish to sell is WINNING.ORG...

ae7ae, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  20. ae7ae

ae7ae Peon

Best Answers:
    I would think sporting, gambling, or other top sales organizations would find that name VERY attractive!

ae7ae, Jul 9, 2013 IP