1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Sever For Me

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by GamePlaceFTW, Jul 8, 2013.

I just started up a site which is just a content site! But it was up for a few days on hostgator shared hosting and it used its bandwidth! I need to be able to support a lot of views because my advertising the site starts soon! Do you have any recommendations? Like updating the

shared hosting?
    Cheap dedicated sever! 50/70$ a month!
    reseller sever?
    Or vps?

What do you think i should do? And what spec should i have?

GamePlaceFTW, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  2. radium

radium Active Member

Best Answers:
    VPS in enough for now, After you have more visitors you can think about dedicated server.

radium, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  3. MayurGondaliya

MayurGondaliya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of contents are there that used up your bandwidth ? If those are images, you can use free CDNs.

MayurGondaliya, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  4. carlosx2

carlosx2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ONe i can already tell you is that when you are looking at dedicated server that cheap that they won't be very good. You pay for what you get. What you can do is go with a cloud instant or a very strong shared host in the cloud. ​
    However if i am correct than you couldn't run out of bandwidth at hostgator they have unlimited plans. ​
    The right choice for you is a host who looks with you to provide you with the right type of hosting. Try to talk to them i am sure they will help you. ​

carlosx2, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  5. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Since you mentioned that "just started up a site" shared hosting will be the most suitable type for now if it doesn't consume lot of resources.

dumindushalika, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  6. hosting_spec80

hosting_spec80 Active Member

Best Answers:
    SSD VPS servers from Fastnext are a perfect solution for small to medium-sized businesses, programmers, webmasters and web hosting resellers. The packages will suit your needs,
    GamePlaceFTW, as the monthly price is less than $50

hosting_spec80, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  7. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:
    What amount of bandwidth did you end up using up? Is the burning of bandwidth because of real traffic or are you serving up big files like very large images or even videos?

No matter what hosting you take, the bandwidth and the costs and rules for outbound traffic should always be looked at very carefully. For instance, Hostgator has this in their terms.

How can something be "unlimited", if you are alloted a monthy allowance? Even worse, you don't even know what amount that allotment is until you actually hit it.

What Hostgator is doing is expecting that 99% of their customers won't be driving a lot of traffic with a shared server web space, well, at least not enough to hit the allotment. Only 1% may run into the bandwidth wall and they take that into account.

There are always limits to any hosting. There has to be. So all this "unlimited" stuff is just marketing whitewash. Don't believe it one bit and do your reading.;)

Scott

s.molinari, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  8. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:

To continue my point, as you can see with Fastnext, their bandwidth limits are posted, which is good. The next thing to look for is the price of bandwidth, should you exceed the limit. That is also very, very important. And I can't find this with Fastnext.

If you are serious about getting successful with your web site, and I mean really serious, then you need to know what the limits are and you need to know what happens (what prices you'll be charged), when you exceed those limits. If the hoster doesn't have clear terms on the limits and what to expect when the limits are exceeded, you should ask them about it. If they don't give you a straight answer, avoid them. Better yet, they should have everything spelled out clearly in their terms and pricing. Don't rely on an answer in an email.;)

Scott

9. Densely

Densely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, atfirst take your growth rate and think whether VPS will be able to support that growth rate for next 1 year?
    if the answer is yes then go for VPS, otherwise you can go for cheap Dedicated server.

Densely, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  10. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea. I'd also take into account what your maximum transfer rate will be on top of the growth rate. For instance, if you are an e-commerce site, you'd want to take into account for a flux in traffic at Christmas time or any other time your site's traffic might spike. So, in general, you should be getting a server package with enough power to cover your growth rate AND any spikes in traffic. The worst thing that can happen is for your site to go down, because it is at its busiest moment. ;)

Scott

11. GamePlaceFTW

GamePlaceFTW Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hello there thanks for your really good answers! The site is just a content site of text post! It was the amount of traffic we got! We had 100k pageviews in like 3 days! So I am not sure what to do! I was looking at getting a dedicated sever for 160 at TMD? And seeing what it is like! I am doing some really heavy marketing and i cant risk it going down again! So really need help on what sever company i should pick by the weekend!

Thanks very much
    Oli

GamePlaceFTW, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  12. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:
    Do you know how much traffic you'll be getting over the next several months? Is this a constant kind of traffic, or could it stop overnight? Will it actually grow and do you know how much growth there will be?

Scott

s.molinari, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  13. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think if you have mainly text on your site the risk going for a VPS should not be to high. Maybe a XEN based one but this is what I would start of with.

Did you check your traffic statistics for a whole month to see how much traffic you are using right now? This could give you an indication where it might go assuming an increase of visitors for e.g. 35%.

Sensei.Design, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  14. GamePlaceFTW

GamePlaceFTW Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well the traffic will grow! Because this is without advertising and the site managed to use all of my bandwidth in 5 days of release of the site! The site was only up 1 week before it went down! I think i should get a 3 month contract for a vps if i need to upgrade after i will go for a dedicated? what do you think? because the advertising starts this week so i want to be safe proof!
    Thanks
    oli

15. GamePlaceFTW

GamePlaceFTW Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As i just said we was only live for a few days and managed to use it all! I think i am going to go for a vps for a few months then dedicated! Do you think that is a smart idea?

Thanks
    Oli

16. Sensei.Design

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I thinks this is the best way to go but I am wondering if you are hosting the ads on your own server. for normal if you are using advertisement networks the traffic should be on their servers and not on your.

Sensei.Design, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  17. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:

As far as I know, if you move from one VPS to another, that means a migration of all your data. Not sure if the hoster will do that for you for free and if they don't, you'll have to take that work into consideration and for sure it also means down time for your site. If you can cope with down time every three months, you could go that route.

The big question is, are you expecting some returns from the site and in what relation are they to the costs to run the site (incl. server costs)? Would downtime cause your users a lot of pain or you loss in income? Can you live with a "slugish" site or a site that stops every now and then? I ask because available bandwidth isn't the only factor to your site being online and being good. Performance of the server is another factor. It could be you have enough traffic allotted to your VPS, but the server itself dies, because it is just working too hard.

Scott

s.molinari, Jul 13, 2013 IP
  18. Sensei.Design

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The good thing about VPS is if there is free capacity on the node they can give you more resources which won't result in switching the server. Besides most Node Software offers a fairly easy way to transfer VPS servers between all nodes.

I know some hosters might still charge you for doing so but it's nothing that you really should be afraid of.

Sensei.Design, Jul 13, 2013 IP
  19. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:
    But no matter what, the increase in capacity and the automatic transfer means downtime, doesn't it? How long does each take?

Scott

s.molinari, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  20. jdef

jdef Member

Best Answers:
    no one has unlimited plans,is just fake,to attract customers,all says that 100% up and unlimited(means
    that after "the plan" is reached you will have just dreams) so that is the world of sales ;)

jdef, Jul 14, 2013 IP