1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google No Longer the Best Engine for Organic Results

Discussion in 'Google' started by dvduval, Jun 30, 2013.

For a long time, even when I tried to leave google and use another search engine, I found within a week I was using google 75+% of the time. Now that time has changed. Search results are so cluttered with ads, places, products, etc that I just don't find Google to have the quality they did. More often when I search for something it is organic results I want, and a Google search does not adequately put that information front and center.

Ixquick and DuckDuckGo to a much better job of providing quality organic results quickly and clearly. No dodging around a myriad of ads and other information that is less relevant to organic search results.

Want a map?
    On Duck Duck Go, Type the word "map" and then the city and state and you get 4 different map choices

Even better learn some of the Duck Duck Go shortcuts. With DuckDuckGo as your default search add, some of these to your query

!bi - direct to bing images
    !gi - direct to google images
    !a - direct to amazon results
    !yt - direct to youtube results
    !w - wikipedia results
    !n - google news results

These are called "bangs" and there are so many more
    https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html

It is just a better search engine that grows with you and doesn't limit you to only their results.

If you are still just using Google, you are falling behind the times! :)

And this was about DuckDuckGo mostly. Ixquick is equally impressive!

Want the weather

dvduval, Jun 30, 2013 IP
    imranamen6 and kingofking like this.
  2. vna1611

vna1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but if the whole world is using Google
    to search for stuff, how do you justify???

vna1611, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  3. emily

emily Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DuckDuckGo is great, but it has to increase the number of indexed websites to catch up with Google.

emily, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:

I just had a look at some of my most obscure websites that I recently updated, and the content is fresh.

And I think what you may not get is the use of "bangs" means you can can make the engine itself part of your query. A quick change of the bang and you are looking at another set of results. In essence, ALL engines can be your default engine as your knowledge of bangs grows.

Here is an example of a misspelled word where the results are relatively obscure. Type in any of the following into DuckDuckGo (even better into your address bar because DDG is your default search engine)
    sherpas !y
    sherpas !g
    sherpas !b
    sherpas !blekko
    sherpas !yippy
    sherpas !yandex
    sherpas !fb

and let's not forget...

sherpas

(right in DDG)

So easy! No more being tied to one engine. Free yourself!

dvduval, Jun 30, 2013 IP
    imranamen6 likes this.
  5. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:

You might want to investigate more closely what I wrote. Just add a !g bang to the search if that is what you want, but if you prefer to have the limitation of only one search engine filled with ads, it is certainly your choice.

dvduval, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  6. vna1611

vna1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so why are people who are lay people
    and used to Google
    going to use a search engine that is absolutely unknown
    except to some people?

it is not about my choice of using
    a search engine
    i would use a search engine that
    lets me make money -
    and that is the one
    that billions of people are using -
    Google

vna1611, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  7. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:

Then ask yourself why did lay people start using Google?
    People like us found the best tool to use and more and more people started to use it.

Why do you suppose the number of searches using DuckDuckGo is climbing so fast?
    Get ready for something really special going into 2013 as the search field gets shuffled around.

Just now I wanted to search for a video on youtube so did
    !yt video name
    Didn't find what I wanted so I did
    !vimeo video name
    and found it!

When I can find what I'm looking for faster than you, you have to start looking at how well your method is working.

dvduval, Jun 30, 2013 IP
    imranamen6 likes this.
  8. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google may not provide the best results all the time but it is by far the most widely used. I also find I get good results with Bing and Yahoo as well.

danasurvey, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  9. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google may not be the best, but it still has the largest chunk of the market share. Most users probably haven't even heard of "DuckDuckGo".

ViolentAJ, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting ... I read your post and went over to DuckDuckGo my first time ever. They have many of my important pages on their first page. Far higher SERPs than on Google.

Jim4767, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  11. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and I remember when most people had never heard of Google ;)

dvduval, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  12. winterweb

winterweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Duckduckgo has always been a good alternative to google. Thanks for sharing your expericence.

I found a list on the internet listing a few other good alternatives - maybe it will help someone.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-google-search-alternatives-that-you-could-experiment-with/

Best regards,
    winterweb

winterweb, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  13. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:

Thank you too. I did look at the makeuseof list and I really found them to be lacking but had more fun reading through the comments where one user said "DuckDuckGo" blows all of them out of the water. :) I used to like Dogpile but there SERPs are almost as bad as google when it comes to showing advertising. The others are more task specific. Cuil is not bad, but they don't tell you all that much about who they are.

Blekko and Yippy are a couple of other good ones, but I still stick with DuckDuckGo and Ixquick as superior choices to Google for organic results.

dvduval, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  14. Tarmila

Tarmila Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is it possible some BIG sites prevent to get indexed by google, when they wanna create their own search engine, especially for BIG shopping center websites. This happened in other countries.

Tarmila, Jun 30, 2013 IP
  15. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using duckduckgo myself from sometime and results are really awesome.

I don't know how they manage their algo but most of the times it does finds what I am looking for.

Nick_Mayhem, Jun 30, 2013 IP
    dvduval likes this.
  16. amiman

amiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DuckDuckGo is a good alternative to Google I have their addon on my Chrome browser.

Just a bit of info I found out today Yahoo is closing AltaVista this month a shame they we're at one time the leaders in search engines and I think the first to use a spider as we know it today. If they can go so can Google they better start giving us better results and not all ads in the first few pages of results.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    amiman, Jul 1, 2013 IP
    dvduval likes this.
  17. imranamen6

imranamen6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    My question is who was knowing google before 2005?

and who was knowing youtube before 2006?

who was knowing facebook before 2007?

who was knowing yahoo before 1996?

When ever a better thing comes in the market it gets viral and reach all people.

Now its in the hands of 1000's of webmaster to take this word till people.

Google results are crap these days so its a good chance of DDG to come up and leave google behind.

I find most of my sites in top ranking in Go. So i am happy with DDG :D

imranamen6, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  18. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rather strangely my search results are better somewhat on DuckDuckGo than Google in most of the cases I just checked to, I just discovered, but I still don't think it's that good.

Though Google is obviouly getting worse at almost every turn these days and seriously need to address so many issues.

However they seem to be going backwards not forwards recently and since Marissa Mayer (Bogue) left and Larry Page took over as CEO.

What are the most appealing things people are finding RE DDG please?

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  19. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:

#1 by far — the name "DuckDuckGo". Check my avatar. That's an Oregon Duck hat :)

Seriously, though, DuckDuckGo's traffic count is just a drop in the bucket. Last month I had 7,000 visitors from Google ... and 20 from DuckDuckGo.

Jim4767, Jul 1, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  20. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

LOL well that's one reason.

I have been checking a few of the results on DuckDuckGo and of the ones I have checked thus far the EMD problem is as bad if not worse than Bing's :(

Which doesn't bode well and I was all geared up for using a search engine with less adverts "above the fold".

I am sort of an Aylesbury Duck (that's what they call people who live(d) in Aylesbury, where I grew up so Duck's always sound familiar to me so liked the idea of an SE with Duck in it's name :) ).

Must say though the DuckDuckGo results are very interesting other than all the EMD's I am finding as well as all the results which use associations like "Good" and "Best" being somewhat interchangable - which Google tends to do to.

I have some very strange results appearing high on DuckDuckGo for my sites that appear nowhere near the top on Google, which is a little surprising.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, Jul 1, 2013 IP