1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My first Commercial 3D Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wisdomtool, Jun 13, 2013.

I had built 3D printers before using the information from reprap.org, it was extremely tough work and the output is not consistent and maintenance, troubleshooting and debugging takes up most of the time of trying to use one. Well had enough of DIY, and decided to get one commercially made for myself. Found Cubify which is manufactured by the Giant 3D Systems (DDD) as listed in Nasdaq. Service is friendly, support is great and I am having a great time printing rather than trouble shooting. Anyone else has any experience on their 3D printer?

wisdomtool, Jun 13, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk, Smyrl and sarahk like this.
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    What do you use it for?

I think if we had one my daughter would monopolise it making iphone cases!
    My son would make naruto inspired weapons
    My husband would probably never get his head around it
    I'm not sure what I'd do... but it would probably not be anything I'm doing right now

sarahk, Jun 13, 2013 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  3. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    For me not much, but installing in Australia where my nephews go crazy printing all shapes and objects that they can download from the Internet. It is fun watching them do all kinds of printing. I guess it helps them with their creativity, next will be trying out the 3D designing software, hope that they can develop more appreciation for the arts. For me, I prefer taking the machine apart and seeing how the design goes about, but I had done it with the DIY kit, so the commercial 3d printer is safe :)

wisdomtool, Jun 13, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and sarahk like this.
  4. V_RocKs

V_RocKs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A good one can print handy objects like a broken switch to your radio or a part for your washer/dryer. Just need to get the plans for the printing or you are dead in the water.

V_RocKs, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  5. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I wanted to buy one soon. They seem to be around $1k nowdays for the cheaper models.
    But from what I read it's quite complicated to operate. I still struggle with 2d printers sometimes :)
    Could be plenty of potential uses for it though.

DomainMagnate, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  6. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    malky66, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As with alot of new technology and medical advances - just because you can doesn't mean you should

sarahk, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  8. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, unfortunately it doesn't mean people won't though.

malky66, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  9. nelum8

nelum8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's so cool! I saw an art exhibit once where the artist made little sculptures using a 3D printer. It was kinda cool. The sculptures looked like twigs or miniature trees. I'm sure there's some sort of commentary about nature vs. machine/technology in there somewhere. XD But other than art and making guns, I'm not sure what else it can be used for. Still cool though.

nelum8, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Apparently if you go through etsy there are tables and things "printed" which allows arty types to create unique pieces fairly quickly.

sarahk, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  11. Eyebrow

Eyebrow Member

Best Answers:
    I have also owned a couple of 3D Printers, ranging from a home made reprap to one of the newer Makerbot replicator 2X (Dual extrusion) machines.

As wisdomtool pointed out, using it for educational purposes is probably the best. Watching the kids make whatever they want is great.

I also use it to create electronics enclosures on the fly. So instead of getting a mold made up and minimum order qty of a thousand, I can design my enclosure and print it out in a couple of hours. Then test fit the electronics to be sure the design is good and then go for the molded plastics after I'm happy.

img_0635.jpg

Eyebrow, Jun 24, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and sarahk like this.
  12. Eyebrow

Eyebrow Member

Best Answers:
    This was my first 3D printer....excellent entry level for the price $900 in kit form.
    its a printrbot plus. Very good learning printing if your starting out. Not completely made from scratch, but the kit does have its challenges.

IMG_1235.jpg

Eyebrow, Jun 26, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.