1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does writing the same quote or statement of a person in multiple sites/blogs is a content spam?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by James chartler, Jun 18, 2013.

I know that publishing same content in different sites/blogs is a spam ( Duplicate Content ) but i have a big doubt that if I'm going to publish an article or news about a celebrity or a famous person, then i should use the quotes and statements of that particular person. The same quote and statement would publish on other sites as well, at this situation what can i do? weather i can publish the exact statement or to publish the same statement in different manner without changing the meaning? in most of the newspapers we would find that statements of people would never be changed but in the case of online news what to do?

James chartler, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Publishing quotes ought to present no problem whatsoever. Just think about how many times quotes from famous people in history are shown. I believe that you are concerned over nothing.
    If you were to misquote someone famous, then someone would probably call you out on it and that would be the end of the matter.

Spoiltdiva, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting question. Someone on another forum was complaining their obviously spun content was being flagged as duplicated content over 6 words. The six words were a famous quotation. They changed the quotation into more spun gibberish and proclaimed their "new" content was OK now since it was no longer being flagged by a particular site's filters.

Quotations should be left intact. They are someone's actual words. They are important because of who said or wrote them.

If you were writing about the Gettysburg address, do you think it would be appropriate to change...

to something like

just to keep Google and any other content filters happy?

Differentiate your work by how you incorporate those quotations into what you write. Add a bit of background other people may have overlooked. Add a bit of your own thoughts on the topic. Make your work different in some way and you should be fine.

YMC, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  4. alexandrubitca

alexandrubitca Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe though that the problem isn't that thousands of same quotes apear daily on blogs, profiles and so on, but the fact that you are might do this from a single account. This might harm you somehow.

alexandrubitca, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  5. ArticlesUK

ArticlesUK Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would imagine that if you actually put the quote in quotation marks then Google would accept this. I can't see them penalising people for this or they would be penalising customers who advertise with them!!

ArticlesUK, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  6. INEEDCONTENT

INEEDCONTENT Guest

Best Answers:
    Spam and duplicate content are not the same thing
    Quotes can certainly break copyright and are often not public property
    For example, if a newspaper pays a celeb 100k for an interview do you think they will not mind you using the quotes they have paid for?
    Quotes spoken in public, say at a public meeting, or as an announcement outside a company headquarters are by definition public domain

The point is if you don't know which type of quote you have you could easily break copyright

INEEDCONTENT, Jun 19, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Very good point and one that I frankly had not given any thought to. Historical quotes, political quotes etc. versus quotes recently made by celebrities, would of course fall under different categories. Celebs are often brands and brands are indeed protected by copyrights.

Spoiltdiva, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    or better still, if you have control over the html, put them in <blockquote> tags.

It was unclear from your question whether you were more concerned about humans thinking your were spamming or search engines penalising you for duplicate content.

sarahk, Jun 19, 2013 IP