1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DNS issues - Help identify DNS issue

Discussion in 'Programming' started by ravemittal, Jun 17, 2013.

Hi All,

My website's DNS records are hosted in GoDaddy and points to the IP address of the hosting server which is in Amazon AWS. I am from India.

On my travelling to differnet cities, when I try to check my website, I find that my website does not resolve efficiently with different ISPs. In most cases it resolves fine, but about 20-25% times, I see that some scripts / images dont load properly when I access the site from different ISPs across different cities while most other times it works well. Simultaneously, I also have trouble fecting emails on my mobile (hosted on our server) from such ISPs.

Ours is a high traffic site. We have users across India who use our site and this could cause a major issue if our site is not accessible from any part of India.

Could this an issue with our DNS resolving with GoDaddy? Could this be an ISP issue? What steps we can take from our end to ensure the DNS resolves well with all the ISPs? Also, what are services like dnsmadeeasy / ultradns and why do high traffic sites prefer using them?

Any help will be much appreciated!

ravemittal, Jun 17, 2013 IP
  2. sudheerenkon

sudheerenkon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes, i can. How much are you offering?

sudheerenkon, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  3. ravemittal

ravemittal Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Sudheerenkon: What are you offering and what are you charging?

ravemittal, Jun 18, 2013 IP
  4. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try pinging it using this service to see if it's resolving to data centers across the World: http://just-ping.com/

You could also run tests using MXToolBox (Definitely worth a bookmark).

There are other tools available, but I usually find out the cause of a problem using MXToolBox and then Google around to resolve the problem.

scottlpool2003, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  5. ravemittal

ravemittal Active Member

Best Answers:
    just-ping wouldn't work for us since pings within amazon network are disabled. Checked with MXToolBox, everything seems to be fine.

Googled around, but there are others who have faced such issues but there doesnt seem to be anyone able to get the issues resolved.

ravemittal, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  6. scottlpool2003

Best Answers:
  7. ravemittal

ravemittal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Checked with intodns a lot earilier. The results were all fine.

8. scottlpool2003

Best Answers:
    I'm stumped from there to be honest. Have you contacted the company you have your server with or is it in-house?

Probably obvious, but have you tried the forums related to the version of the server you're using?

9. ravemittal

ravemittal Active Member

Best Answers:
    The server is from Amazon AWS and to be honest, these companies would be least bothered about an issue like this without more visible information like tracerout results. The fact that I have browsed the site from different locations will speak true about it.

I perhaps feel this could be issues with either of the below:
    1. The Indian ISPs who have poor DNS caches
    2. Our customer base is in India and our server is located in N. Virginia so maybe the route is quite long and could have losses in between for different ISPs.

But what really surprises me is that most of the times, it's my site which I am unable to access. Sometimes other sites too are not accessible from my ISP like http://www.businessinsider.com, where only the text loads and the CSS / images doesnt. But then they are accessible the very next day.

Could it be, by any chance, a case of DNS with GoDaddy or something?

10. scottlpool2003

Best Answers:
    Could you post or PM your URL. I'm not an expert but sometimes another set of eyes helps.

11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have found that internationally Amazon AWS has major 'blocked' zones of some sort -- on top of their 'cloud' idiocy being unreliable crap, any 'general hosting' through them seems to be a ripoff given that it's quite literally blacked out all over the damned place.

Including the town I live in.

Though you've got double the woes hosting through the sleazeball predators known as GoDaddy, particularly if you are using their DNS. You can tell they're a bunch of sleaze since they advertise using tits and ass on TV instead of having anything resembling marketing on their own merits. They've become even bigger scum than Network Solutions, and that takes effort. I've even caught them making up whois to pre-buy domains you look up with them.

I would go get a REAL dedicated server from a REAL host, provide your own DNS from that server, and move the name to a reputable provider like Namecheap instead of going with nube predators.

Which is what it sounds like happened -- the predators got you. Sleazeball scam artists masters of marketing, who oversell, under-provide, and will now try to bleed you for every penny without even coming close to filling all their vague promises of service.

deathshadow, Jun 19, 2013 IP
    scottlpool2003 likes this.