1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you suggest good site builders?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Richard53, Apr 15, 2013.

Wordpres, Joomla, Joomla are blogging platforms where you can design your website a lot easier than HTML alone. Specially Wordpress since you can just download a theme fit to your niche.

But can you guys also suggest a good site builder for free if you're still using one?

Richard53, Apr 15, 2013 IP
  2. zachcooper

zachcooper Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I can't suggest better platform than wordpress. In fact, There are not a single free site builder advisable except Wordpress. Joomla is not bad too.

zachcooper, Apr 15, 2013 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly, I've never seen a good one unless you gut out most of what they try to do and completely ignore the default markup/CSS and 99% of the templates out there.

But that's what one gets with a sleazy shortcut in the form of an off the shelf solution.

deathshadow, Apr 15, 2013 IP
  4. Elrond White

Elrond White Member

Best Answers:
    I have often seen friends using weebly.com. You may have a try.

Elrond White, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  5. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    I find it hard to believe anyone would use the word 'good' with any of the ones on that list I recognize... and looking at the ones I don't recognize they're WORSE than the ones I do.

AdaptCMS for example, IECC's that would never be true doing the job of normal comments that are redundant to the markup with javascript that seems to be doing CSS' job? Or aTutor with it's multiple H1 in a tranny doc, pointless DIV wrappers as they're too stupid to realize there isn't anything you can't do to a DIV that can't be done to a UL, clear.gif making the jumpto links fail to function in a useful manner in most user agents making them a waste of code, H2 around elements that are not the start of subsections of the page? ... things get pretty dark and ugly from there...

Most of these types of crutches seem to have been built by people who don't know enough HTML or CSS to be developing jack ****, as such they are usually the worst place to point anyone lacking enough HTML or CSS knowledge to make a rational informed choice about even having a website built in them in the first place!

deathshadow, Apr 16, 2013 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  6. guo9810

guo9810 Member

Best Answers:
    I'll have to agree with everybody else and wordpress.

Youcan get a free wordpress at wordpress.org

guo9810, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  7. Jaeger

Jaeger Banned

Best Answers:
    Now in market many website builders are available for free like Jux, Webs, Wix. In India indiagetonline dot in is one of the most popular websites and most of small business entrepreneurs are using it because it gives .in domain and hosting free for one year. If you want to customize your websites with affordable rates so NCrypted Technologies is best.

Jaeger, May 6, 2013 IP
  8. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are lot of site builders software in free but there are limitation to integrate the business requirement where in wordpress you can develop website very easy with different kind of business reimbursement very easy.

creativewebmaster, May 6, 2013 IP
  9. cadsii

cadsii Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress all the way, why ?

- open source
    - 1000s of free themes you can try to start with
    - 26,000+ plugins you can install to add customization to your install
    - you have unlimited support out there

cadsii, May 8, 2013 IP
  10. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tend not to use a CMS. I would advise you to lean towards that as well.

If you want to do it, use Wordpress, with a nice theme that is HTML 4.01 valid.

jamjar919, May 8, 2013 IP
  11. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Wordpress... Nice Theme... Valid code... Oh man, you slay me.... Bwhahahaaa. I can't stop laughing.

But like most off the shelf solutions, I cannot fathom how anyone can be DUMB ENOUGH to want to use it... I just really need to stop underestimating the stupidity of my fellow man I guess. :p

deathshadow, May 8, 2013 IP
  12. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

It's because they aren't thinking beyond usability and fancy looks. Many people who use WordPress don't think about code, and that's the sort of people WP are targeting.

jamjar919, May 8, 2013 IP
  13. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Usability? Ah,you probably mean from an administrator/owners standpoint, not a visitors; 99% of crap themes for wordpress telling most visitors where to stick it... between slow speeds, inaccessible markup and layout on anything other than the magical combination of OS and resolution the designer had, etc, etc...

But then I consider usability for the user -- aka accessibility, to be far more important than "herpaderp, I can haz a websitez?!?"

Which really is WP's core audience -- for and by people who know nothing about HTML, CSS, Scripting, PHP, Security, or Accessibility... and the more you think about that, the more you realize it's worse than it sounds.

deathshadow, May 8, 2013 IP
  14. smithangela

smithangela Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Apart from these, there are various other free website builders available online which allow small business owners to create a professional website. I recently used http://www.webstarttoday.com and found extremely easy and comfortable to use. It also offers a lot of features like attractive designs, content, uploading of images and videos, photo gallery, SEO, monitoring, hosting, domain name purchase etc.just released an eclectic range of responsive web designs- specially for the smart end-users, absolutely free!

smithangela, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  15. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The RVSite builder is a great platform for creating websites. This site builder is available with the linux based hosting platforms. The RVSite builder simplifies the website creation process and you can set up a website as per your preferences. You can access RVSite builder from any location through an internet connection.

Markwebuk, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  16. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Well, let's have a look at some of it's templates...
    http://sample.rvsitebuilder.com/travel/Home.php
    http://sample.rvsitebuilder.com/music/Home.php
    http://sample.rvsitebuilder.com/herbonline/Home.php

So far I see crappy little stripe inaccessible fixed widths, inaccessible use of px metric fonts on everything, resulting in a steaming pile of manure on the accessibility front. The travel one is worse than the others since it also uses inaccessible/illegible mixes of foreground and background-color.

Under the hood I see an XML prolog on a tranny doctype, so both quirks mode in IE and being in transition from 1997 to 1998 coding practices -- never a great start. There are six or seven bandwidth and handshake wasting stylesheets with no media types, jquery for nothing apart from site bloat, enough scripting and CSS inlined in the markup to beg the question why the blue blaze even have external scripts and stylesheets in the first place... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Tables for layout, tables for NOTHING (if there's only one TD per TR whiskey tango foxtrot is it a table?!?), endless inlined presentation, absolutely pointless gibberish placement of the STYLE tag in a empty TD, tags like FONT and attributes like ALIGN that have no business on any website written after 1997...

All adding up to why it wastes 700-800k in 40+ files on each of those sites to deliver less than 2k of plaintext and two to six content images.... making them slow and painful to host as well. From the 15-20k of markup doing 5k's job, to the 400+k of scripting on pages that by all appearances shouldn't even be using ANY, the train wrecks "RVSiteBuilder" makes are EVERYTHING I've come to expect from the sleazeball halfwit shortcut of using a 'site builder'. It wet's it's own pants on accessibility mated to a codebase reeking of ineptitude on the part of it's developers.

Just another laundry list of how NOT to build a website, and I pity anyone DUMB ENOUGH to want to use that crap... in fact, may God have mercy on the souls of anyone who recommends it to others. ('cause I sure won't)

deathshadow, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  17. natyk

natyk Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Maybe try Artisteer - very easy builder tool to use, even beginners shouldn't have any problem with create a beautiful manage. On the site www.bktemplates.com you can find more information, visit tutorials page where is showing step by step installation process.

natyk, Jun 17, 2013 IP
  18. Banglamart

Banglamart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Banglamart, Jan 23, 2014 IP