1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Limit amount of posts new members can make

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by malky66, Jun 14, 2013.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here that thinks this, but wouldn't it be a good idea to limit the amount of posts that new members can make in a day, surely it would cut down on the amount of useless pointless posts and spam that seems to be creeping up on us again.
    just check here https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/movies-music-tv.97/
    one user made 28 pointless posts in 38 minutes, none of them any good and just done to cynically boost their post count for whatever reason.
    I know the general chat and it's sub-forums is usually made up of spam and crap but that's just beyond a joke, surely limit them to a max of 5 posts every 24 hours until they have a minimum amount of likes would help stop the spam.

Just a thought..

malky66, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and Devtard like this.
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    A bit like this guy? Or maybe a bit different - while I might think his posts are junk, someone else might find them useful, insightful (or inciteful for that matter), etc. I guess he just needs an education in the difference between spam and SEO.

If you can believe it, it could have been worse - s/he/it could have started 28 threads about "what is love", "Coke or Pepsi", "1 or 0", "male or female", "what time is it", "how to tie shoelaces" or whatever. But yeah, maybe a breather between posts - such as five minutes - might deter them. Might.

ryan_uk, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and Devtard like this.
  3. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah pretty much, when someone is making posts at the rate of 1 a minute you know they are going to be pointless crap.
    Again yes, something like that would surely help, would make the mod's job a bit easier i would think.
    I'm all for free speech and all that but sometimes you just need to tell some people when to stop

malky66, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I understand the gist of the thread and the frustrations but......this would be a slippery slope that DP would go on if it were to institute this. How much is too much and when would this caveat be lifted?
    DP is essentially a very free site and not too repressive, most want to keep it that way. Which is why whenever anything new is brought forward there are howls of protest, as if the world were coming to an end. Can you imagine the amount of complaint threads if DP were to bring this posting rule in?
    Newbies want to fit in, and posting a lot is how some of them attempt to get known. In the meantime we are free to report anything we deem to be spam.

Spoiltdiva, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  5. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would be interesting to see xen foro admin to see what settings are available.

ruddy morons posting nonsense they should be limited to 4 posts in the first hour or something

sorry :) I rant there a little maybe, but sometimes that's the way it feels, but of course at the same time we can earn trophy points disavowing erm sorry reporting them and it's such a hard thing to call as we don't know what settings there are or what settings would best suit...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    FreeFun4Every1 likes this.
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You've just given us a brilliant argument as to why we ought to leave things just as they are.:rolleyes:

7. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend (choose one of them):
    1. Limiting their post to 2 each ten minutes. They can post anything from low/high post.
    2. No post/time limitation if their post has 25/30 words.
    3. Limit the ability to post each 3 minutes and it has to be 20+ words.
    It wouldn't stop low quality post/spam but it maybe could make DP better. But I know, more rules will make more member screaming.:D
    I love to write in DP but I couldn't write as much as the old days (in term of quality posts). Some low quality posts are annoying.

Arick unirow, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    Devtard, FreeFun4Every1 and malky66 like this.
  8. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I know it will never be implemented, that's not what i expect to come out of this thread i just felt something needed to be said.
    It's mainly aimed at the type of users that sign up and immediately make a ton of worthless one line posts every 30 seconds or so, and the main problem with the report system (which i use pretty much constantly) is the 30 second wait time between making reports, i don't think i have enough time left on the planet to report them all..lol
    I don't mind newbies trying to fit in and get known, but who want's to be known as a worthless spammer?

malky66, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  9. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Such as this?
    [​IMG]

ryan_uk, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    And one has to admit that many of them are good at it!:rolleyes:

malky66 likes this.
  11. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    haha...now if only that could popup on their screen once they've made their 5th three word post

malky66, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  12. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Here is what I do. I suggest that the mod look at the offending member's latest posts to find other bad posts, or I do my own multi-reply and just complain about multiple posts in a single report. :)

browntwn, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  13. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i also do that but more often than not only the post i report gets dealt with and the rest gets ignored.

malky66, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  14. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Another approch RE & additonal to that is to report posts with a few words to suggest other posts need looking at to. (oops quoted wrong person hehe)

We could try threatening offenders with a carefully worded threat that isn't a threat >

[​IMG]
    some bad girl is being a very bad girl right now LOL​

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, Jun 14, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  15. Wordpress Design

Wordpress Design Member

Best Answers:
    Hope the Admin will notice some of your sugestions.. Reducing spam on this way would be cool, but this spamming is mostly in ''General Chat'' and whole section is crap so you can't make it much better..
    Spam has been reduced in the most important section ''BST'' so Admin done a good job five months ago..

Wordpress Design, Jun 15, 2013 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  16. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I won't hold my breath on that one.

malky66, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  17. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that General chat should be cleaned from spammers as well, because it is the only section where anyone can post anything and where no knowledge is required - that's why there is so much threads about the meaning of life and similar nonsense. I'd leave "The Underground" for people who don't have 3 likes yet; most of its topics are the same crap anyway).

Devtard, Jun 15, 2013 IP
    Wordpress Design likes this.
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Never mind trying to hold your breath. Trying pulling up your pants instead!:cool:

Spoiltdiva, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  19. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Good point, then that stuff doesn't get indexed (reduces the "thin content" on DigitalPoint visible to GoogleBot), so it's a win-win situation.

ryan_uk, Jun 15, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  20. conie k

conie k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    28 posts in 30 minute that can't be right, that person has way too much time

conie k, Jun 15, 2013 IP