1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Samples

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Kraven2, May 12, 2013.

Recently I was engaged in a thread, where a buyer requested a sample article to be written up in order to be considered for the job. Personally I don't have a problem with a request like that as long as the sample article is within reason. As long as they are not asking for a 500 words piece I think it is worth it when the job is decent. This particular job seems to be, but the reason why I am blabbering about it here is because after a smart ass remark I put in there, which set things in motion, other writers chimed in and basically they focused on the sample requirement rather then what I replied about(Which was the absence of a price estimate for the work).

It brings up an interesting part of the writing business, so I thought the topic a good one to drop here for discussion. I say if a good business relationship comes from it writing a small sample article is well worth the effort and I see no reason not to do it, but based on the discussion that came from it I'd like to hear from other writers why you would not do it and pass on the job offer.

Let's hear it :D

Kraven2, May 12, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sample articles. That reminds me must go and check for the text I gave away to see if it got used...

Revelations-Decoder, May 12, 2013 IP
  3. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    I asked the questions I did in that thread to find out what the poster was really about. There are far too many article collectors and time wasters out there. I'm not interested in wasting my time.

Sure, I've written custom sample articles for free. However, I'm selective about who I'll write them for. The buyer has to give the writer some indication that they are not a cheap, PITA time waster. Many buyers request a lot of the writer without giving much clue to the writer who they are really dealing with and if it is worth actually competing/applying for the job.

I won't write a custom sample article for everyone who posts that they'll offer to pay for it either. Their job offer has to have some key elements to it too. Either that, or their responses to questions has to show me that the buyer isn't a joke.

TextServices, May 12, 2013 IP
  4. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unless it's for a super high paying gig or for a super high end publication and will include my byline, I bill samples at standard rates.

My portfolio is too broad for this mess. If you can't read my stuff and get some idea of what I can and can't do, move on because honestly, it wouldn't be worth the time or effort it would take me to show you.

Senobia, May 12, 2013 IP
  5. writerpoint2050

writerpoint2050 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest writing sample content allows the buyer to feel confident before ordering bunch of article. yes you can limit the content to 250 words so you can give him more confidence .

writerpoint2050, May 13, 2013 IP
  6. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Surely it would be far easier/better to point them to previous work on URL's online...

Revelations-Decoder, May 13, 2013 IP
  7. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Easier yes, but better? That I am not so sure about. I mean a sample written for a client per his/her specifications would give a much better impression what a writer can do on that specific subject. I see advantages and disadvantages on both sides.

Ready to view samples, are fast, take no time but aren't specific for the job. Written up samples, are specific for the job and give a better impression of the skills of the writer. But it does take time, which could be wasted time if the client decides not to go through with it.

Kraven2, May 13, 2013 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First off, it appears you have no agreement as to price. What if you send them this sample and they want to hire you for $5 a page?

Secondly, why at your level of expertise would you agree to freebies? Surely you have a large enough body of work that there's something online that you could point them too? Even if there's not anything in the same exact niche, I bet you've got something that targets similar customers or has similar issues.

As for samples for prime gigs...been there, done that...got ripped off by a giant company...don't do it anymore.

YMC, May 13, 2013 IP
  9. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Once bitten, twice shy, I get it :)

Still I do if I feel it is worth it. And should people try to rip me off(And size of a company does not matter in that regard) I will take it personally and make their lives a living hell. It would cost them a lot more then a few dollars that article would cost :D

Kraven2, May 13, 2013 IP
  10. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think any client worth having is going to either accept samples from other sources to see your writing, accept a portfolio, or pay for a sample, even if at a discounted rate. I wouldn't give away a free sample, but bitter experience has taught me to be cautious of such things.

oo87, Jun 10, 2013 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  11. pablo123

pablo123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It might be OK to write a sample. But is the client willing to pay for it? Ask this always. It tells you what kind of person he is and his attitude. It might also be OK for bulk orders. But there is hardly any point in writing a free sample article for an order of 10-15 articles.

pablo123, Jun 13, 2013 IP