1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content writing is about to lose its value

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by HomeDesigner, Jun 9, 2013.

1. HomeDesigner

HomeDesigner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a great strategy, but in this case, your attitude will play it role as well, being nice, treating clients in a professional yet kind way, will push them to recommend you to others in their network without *you* asking for it, don't you think ?

HomeDesigner, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  2. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:

Sometimes. What I have noticed is that a lot of clients don't want to recommend you without your express permission. Not only do they not know if you are looking for more work (and know you might feel pressured to take on their referrals to keep them happy), but some just flat out don't want to share you out of worry you might be poached and so unable to continue writing their content.

This isn't always the case, and it differs from client to client. I have found being direct in the request is your best bet. It also may cause them to look out for people looking for content, where in the past they might have not noticed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    oo87, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  3. Thriftypreneur

Thriftypreneur Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you should treat clients professionally whether you want referral business or not.

As for asking for referrals, which do you think is going to get more work? Assuming both offer great, friendly service.

Writer A who does 100 jobs and never asks for a referral and only takes referrals that are offered to him/her?

or

Writer B who does 100 jobs and kindly asks clients for any referral business that may be available at the end and delivery of each project?

I don't know about you, but I'm putting all my money on Writer B getting MANY, MANY more referrals. The people who succeed make it known what they want. They don't wait and hope for the world to hand it to them. If you want referrals, there's nothing wrong with informing happy clients that you're looking for more work. In fact, it's good business to get in the practice of doing so.

Mentioning/asking for referrals is pretty standard in every professional industry on planet. The world of professional writing is no different. Good luck writers!

Thriftypreneur, Jun 11, 2013 IP
    oo87 likes this.
  4. HomeDesigner

HomeDesigner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    YEs you are right, but i meant it as an additional tip, meaning, if you put me in this choice, I'd go for Writer C who does 100 jobs and waits for offered referrals, and kindly asks clients for referral business that may be available *In the right time*.

HomeDesigner, Jun 11, 2013 IP
  5. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Quick comment; content writing isn't about to lose its value, but pseudo-writers who take any ridiculously-paid job like if they were facing a critical starvation situation and those jobs were their only surveillance option to remain alive on earth.

Mystique, Jun 11, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  6. pablo123

pablo123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, I absolutely agree. You just cannot hire a good writer at these low prices. Of course, poor content does not help anybody. In the end, everybody misses out. The employer might realize this. But it is already too late. I was recently offered $60 for writing 400 PPC text advertisements. And I have more than 10 years of experience in writing articles, blog posts, landing page copy, and advertisement copy. Imagine! Of course, I said "No" to the person. Told him that the price was too low.

pablo123, Jun 13, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Good on you! Now if only all writers had the same amount of self respect that you do, perhaps the rates offered wouldn't be so insulting.

Spoiltdiva, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  8. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    People are always going to offer low rates simply because there will always be someone willing to accept those rates. The rate may be insulting to some writers, but another writer may find the rate acceptable and fair.

Writers need to quite complaining about the rates people are offering and go where their target market is. Realize that DP and similar places/resources are not where the buyers from Fortune 500 companies, buyers who will pay standard industry rates, and buyers who will pay more than $8.00/100 words are cruising looking for writers.

There are good buyers here who pay well. The rates that are not considered "insulting" to writers. They are just the minority here. Realize that and quit bitching about the rates seen here. No amount of complaining and creative posting is going to make buyers up their budget. That only happens through experience. It's also not going to change a writers mind about which offers they are willing to accept. Changes only happen through experience.

Writers are never going to ban together and refuse to write for anything less than a price that is deemed acceptable by all. Attempting to make a stand against low budget buyers. People have bills to pay, families to support, some writers just want to write for beer money or weekend fun money, and the cost of living is diverse across the globe.

Only a writer can determine what is acceptable and not acceptable for themselves. Everyone else should just back off and leave them be. Their income and expenses are not yours.

Some writers are routinely posting in buyers threads about how ridiculous an offer is. How's that working out for you? Are the buyers changing their minds and increasing the pay? From the looks of it, your efforts aren't very successful. If you don't like the offer, skip it and move on.

TextServices, Jun 13, 2013 IP
    browntwn likes this.