1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vbulletin 4 vs 5 connect? worth to update?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by vitrag24, Jun 6, 2013.

Hello,
    I'm using vbulletin 4 since a long..
    confused due to conflicting reviews of vb 5 connect and lack of good developers..??

is it worth to update from vb 4 to 5 connect?
    advise me..

vitrag24, Jun 6, 2013 IP
  2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not for at least a year.
    That's about how long it took vb4 to evolve to the point where I was recommending it to my clients. vBulletin 5 has a rough road ahead, it's going to take a lot of time for it to become something worth using.

Brandon Sheley, Jun 6, 2013 IP
  3. vitrag24

vitrag24 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thx for reply but can u tell why vb 5 connect isnt good?
    on first look, i really liked it..

vitrag24, Jun 7, 2013 IP
  4. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's very poorly put together, it's still very very slow, it has more bugs then features. ;)

Brandon Sheley, Jun 8, 2013 IP
  5. Man2

Man2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have upgraded to vb5 and it was big mistake:
    • Some of popular features are missing
    • they don't support Opera browser (that is official response from their support)
    • there are tons of bugs
    • there is no vbSeo support
    • there is no multi-language feature (you can add aditional languages and even choose other language but it doesn't work well)

Man2, Jun 11, 2013 IP
    Devtard likes this.
  6. webinsane

webinsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used VB for more than 6 years. When I upgraded to VB4 it was a bit disappointing how many things are not working, but great community and excellent mods made me stay.

VB5 came out and after few days of testing I could not believe that same company made vb3. I dropped everything and moved to Invision Power Board.

webinsane, Jun 12, 2013 IP
  7. vwal

vwal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've used vBulletin for the past decade through many of its versions. Like webinsane, I too found the transition from VB3 to VB4 to be a rough one. I don't have much confidence that VB5 will make it to the same level of acceptance as VB4 currently has, largely for the reasons Man2 mentions (plus the fact that majority of the countless plugins, mods and extensions which have made VB4 very versatile are not available for VB5).

VB4 still does not work with PHP 5.4 which has been out for over a year now, and the support for it won't likely be added. Connect 5 adds that support, but at a high cost, at least for the time being.

I'm working on couple of new communities that will need a bulletin board of some kind. I'm very wary about going the vBulletin route as I don't see much future for it (kind of like ExpressionEngine, I feel its time has passed). Technically, the company that currently operates and develops vBulletin (Internet Brands or "IB") is not the same company that made VB3 (JelSoft). The downward spiral started when JelSoft sold the product to IB and many of its original developers parted ways with the company. The difference between JelSoft and IB is typical in the software industry: vBulletin was a brainchild of JelSoft while for IB it's simply business.

There are some good alternatives, depending on what the goal is. Invision is a good option, and another one worth taking a look at is XenForo, which was created by the very group of devs who left JelSoft when the company was sold to IB.

Edit: It seems this forum is running on XenForo! :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    vwal, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  8. Karolwf

Karolwf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm moving forum to XenForo. VB 4 and 5 - are full of bugs. In VB4 - they did not fix bug in CKedidor since 2011!!!! What a shame.

Karolwf, Jun 16, 2013 IP
  9. Magnus Vogel

Magnus Vogel Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I personally recommend you to keep using vb4, if you don't waste your time and feel bugs free work. VB5 is completely time waste and you can't do your work very well as doing in vb4

Magnus Vogel, Jul 3, 2013 IP
  10. SoniCute

SoniCute Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just stay with your vb4, if possible do downgrade to vb3, vb5 is developed by novice coder who paid by pizza and beer (sarcasm mode:ON :D) and there no future for vb5 product. If you want invest more and looking for active development, xenforo is another option.

SoniCute, Jul 7, 2013 IP
  11. !PrinceHackz!

!PrinceHackz! Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    not at all dear, I even don't like 4x series, 3.8 is my favourite & currently I'm running 3.8.8 beta, vBulletin 5 won't be interesting for you & for your members due to lack of plugins, themes & so...

!PrinceHackz!, Aug 1, 2013 IP
  12. PET

PET Member

Best Answers:
    I know I'm replaying to an old post but... vBulletin 5 is NOT made by the same company that made vBulletin 3 :)

PET, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  13. garry420

garry420 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    of what i have found from reviews vb 5 is worst software and vb 4 is best

garry420, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  14. Man2

Man2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

just to say that i have moved to Xenforo. It is excellent but there is still some things that needs to be done.
    best thing is that it is faster and google needs less time to open page

Man2, Feb 15, 2014 IP