1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Redirect to New Domain

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by abidaxperts, Jun 3, 2013.

Hello;
    My website beauty-trolleys dot com have good ranking position against its required keywords. Now I want to move all data to a newly purchased domain. My question is whether implementing redirect to new domain can effect my business current search engine ranking and cause the loss in existing business or not?

abidaxperts, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  2. somanbangaree

somanbangaree Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why you want to move all the data to newer one when your old website ranking good?

somanbangaree, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  3. wigwam2002

wigwam2002 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your page ranking could be affected as all of your backlinks will go to your old domain. Which would effectively write-off your ranking.

To get around that, You would need to do 301 redirects for the existing domain so that your page ranking wont be compromised or lost.

Unless your new domain is massively more brilliant than what already brings you in significant traffic, I would leave your domain as it is. It's not that important. It's easy to make a mistake changning domains if you're not sure what you're doing.

You would want to avoid the ultimate penalty from Google for having duplicated content on two websites.

Stick with your current domain, definitely.

wigwam2002, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  4. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say people worry too much about Google rather than paying attention to the natural way surfers search for information.

If your domain is beauty-trolleys dot com and you can get beautytrolleys dot com I don't see a reason to stick with your current domain. You may preserve your ranking and backlinks, but the surfer tendency is to write an address without the dash.

Either way you won't be penalized to redirect your old domain and links will be redirected as well or you can ask to people who link to your site to update the URL.

Check this out at Google Webmaster Tools, http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=83105

Mystique, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  5. markwill1980

markwill1980 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Good responses. I would have to agree with most of what is said. If you dont have any real reason to move, then its best to stay put to avoid any mistakes or confusions, etc... But as Mystique has stated. If you have a better (non-hyphenated name) then you can purchase that and move all of your pages over. Rather simply as well. And just 301 redirect all of your old pages to the new domain. There are tools that will help you find all the inbound links to your site. But if your niche is any decent size and have been doing any real marketing and/or link building- then trying to go and ask everyone to update their links to point to your new domain may not be possible.

I would say go for it, if the new name is much better. Have your webmaster use one of the available toold to scan all the pages of your site and export to an excel sheet. Then setup all the redirects. This shouldnt be too long of a process(depending on how large the site is)....

But I am pretty sure you can get around it without doing that(if your server is Apache). With maybe a Mod Rewrite script you can have them say redirect yoursite.com/*pagename to yournewsite.com/*pagename etc... Something like that, where all the pages are simply just redirected to the new root domain, and the page content that you have transferred over. But I have never done this. I am sure it can be done, But I would consult a developer.

markwill1980, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  6. abidaxperts

abidaxperts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Actually I have 2 website related to beauty and hairdressing. For both website I have also done SEO. But now I expand my product line and purchase a new domain with the name of salon-supplies dot com, which I think is best to share all my product line at one place. This is the reason that's I want to move my website to new domain.

abidaxperts, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  7. passcrk2005

passcrk2005 Member

Best Answers:
    well you will lose your entire ranking, you can do a 301 redirect but this will help you just for a limited time, until our website will disapear from serps

passcrk2005, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  8. xpertwebinfotech

xpertwebinfotech Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you are going to shift your old domain to a newly purchased domain then your old search engine ranks will be completely lost. You have to start from the beginning for ranking.

xpertwebinfotech, Jun 5, 2013 IP
  9. abidaxperts

abidaxperts Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks all you guys for your valuable suggestion.

abidaxperts, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  10. ivvyevents

ivvyevents Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you want to redirect your URL from one URL to destination URL, you can use 301 redirect for your sites . It will not affect for long time. Within short time you will get your ranking back and even you will not lose your business.

ivvyevents, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  11. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    I won't advise to redirect your domain name if there is no or little problem with your site. If your desired keyword is not ranking then you should look for the reason why it is not ranking, it may be that your on-page optimization is not too good for the keyword.

SERPpoint, Jun 13, 2013 IP