1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Choose a good VPS

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by AndyLaw, May 12, 2013.

Hi guys, what type of VPS would you suggest to choose for a website which received about 10-15k unique users every day?

I mean, I am looking to get some server specs not the configuration at the moment.

AndyLaw, May 12, 2013 IP
  2. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    It is very hard to gauge, depending on what applications you are using. A static site can easily handle 10-15k unique visitors but not an SQL intensive site. This is especially so for VPS where the CPU resources are shared. You may want to give more information on what you are running or intend to run.

wisdomtool, May 12, 2013 IP
  3. Maestroc

Maestroc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO a VPS can be overkill for a single site unless (as wisdomtool suggested) it is a resource intensive site.

That having been said though you will never regret moving to a VPS if you can afford it. I finally wound up moving several sites to a VPS just because I was sick of lousy service from my host and wanted a little more power, flexibility, and speed. Here's the specs for one of my VPS servers which gets about what you are talking about now and runs like a dream (for me at least):

1 gig ram
    1 gig vswap
    4 cores
    2 mil inodes
    SolusVM
    100MB port speed
    100% dedicated resources (not shared)

This is really a pretty bare bones account as VPS systems go but it runs fine. The only frill on this account is that the hard drives are RAID10 SSD drives instead of standard platters. In my opinion this is well worth the extra money for SSD as I can honestly tell the speed difference between the same sites running on SSD versus running on standard hard drives.

Maestroc, May 13, 2013 IP
  4. energetic

energetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    at least 2G ram with 2 core VPS I believe.

energetic, May 13, 2013 IP
  5. Axcell

Axcell Active Member

Best Answers:
    If it is a wordpress website, you need more than 4GB ram and 2 CPU cores because mysql will cause problem. Just get a VPS from contabo (from Germany and cheapest) and use cloudflare to decrease resources used. Also use varnish for http reverse.

Axcell, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  6. Maestroc

Maestroc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    4GB dual core? Way overkill IMHO. You can run Wordpress with a lot less than that. I have multiple Wordpress sites running on a VPS with just 1gig of ram.

If you are serving millions of pages a day maybe, but for 5-10k traffic/day IMHO you can get by with 1 or 2 gigs. If you need more than that on a VPS to run a single Wordpress site then you probably need to think about optimizing your my.cnf configuration file. There's a great tutorial on doing it over at Hardware Secrets that I have used several times to tweak MySQL to run more efficiently. The speed difference you get by adjusting the MySQL caches can make a huge difference in your overall site speed.

Maestroc, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  7. Axcell

Axcell Active Member

Best Answers:
    He said 10-15k unique visitors. I assume about 50k-60k pageviews/day.
    1 year ago i've got about 30k pv/day using burst.net vps with 2 gb ram and they suspended it because of resource problem.

Axcell, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  8. Collard

Collard Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe you'll need dedicated server for your needs, because nowadays hard to find VPS at not shared environment and you'll have troubles with performance at load peaks

Collard, Jun 7, 2013 IP
  9. xXxpert

xXxpert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Get a VPS from IntoVPS with 2GB ram and forget about suspension
    I am Currently receiving 50 to 70K page views daily with no problem

xXxpert, Jun 7, 2013 IP
  10. onenetwork.net

onenetwork.net Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Get a Xen VPS with about 2Gig of RAM should work.

onenetwork.net, Jun 8, 2013 IP