1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Loadable navigation menu to open pages

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by DeeNeely, May 8, 2013.

I am working on a site where I am trying to have a standard navigation page load on the left side and the content to load in the right. I am basically trying to make a navigation menu with drop downs which will load the content in the same page. I know that I can simply make a copy of the navigation menu in each page, but I don't want to have to go through each page and make changes to the navigation menu individually when I want to update the information.

I want to do as much as possible with HTML5 and CSS, but I am having issues finding information about how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

DeeNeely, May 8, 2013 IP
  2. themes4all

themes4all Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    themes4all, May 13, 2013 IP
  3. DeeNeely

DeeNeely Peon

Best Answers:
    I finally got what I was doing to work.
    I finally got what I was trying to do to work. I used iframe. For some reason the first couple of times I tried to use it it failed.

Thanks for the links, too.

DeeNeely, May 14, 2013 IP
  4. WeddiGo

WeddiGo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    be carefull with iFrames as some search engines won't indexed them so they won't be able to find all your pages if the iFrame contains your site navigation.

If you can use php then it's quite simple with the php "include" command but if you are not skilled with web programming then it may not work for you.

WeddiGo, May 14, 2013 IP
  5. DeeNeely

DeeNeely Peon

Best Answers:

Fortunately, for this part of the website I am not worried about search engine results. In fact, I will most likely put a norobots in. I will remember that for future reference though. I know that was a problem with frames, but I didn't know it had carried over to iframes.

DeeNeely, May 14, 2013 IP
  6. WeddiGo

WeddiGo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's ok with Google if it's on the same domain but Yahoo and MSN won't read them at all.

The best solution is to switch to PHP and use "include", then you can load an entire html page that contains your navigation, that's how I do it for years.

WeddiGo, May 14, 2013 IP