1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to...

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Florin Pop, May 13, 2013.

How can I find a good design for a website? With perfect color combinations, and nice fonts to impress my visitors and atract them. To be pleasent when you look at it, simple, elegant:)

Thank you

Florin Pop, May 13, 2013 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Build it -- by figuring out what you want on a page FIRST, semantically marking up that content, and then create the layout using CSS -- then and only then start worrying about colors and graphics to hang on it.

Starting from some goofy picture or shoe-horning content into some off the shelf template is the road to failure, always has been no matter how many artsy fartsy types will tell you othewise.

As to choosing 'perfect' color combinations, choose one or two hues, learn the emissive luminance color formula, and pick legible intensities based off those hues. Lets' use a simple mono-blue intensity set that looks halfway decent in most cases:

#6CF
    #9DF
    #DEF
    #FFF

See the relationship scale? You mix that with sufficient luminance contrasts and you're golden.

In case you've not seen me mention the emissive luminance formula before:
    See Section 1.3, color contrasts

It can also help to use your paint program of choice to keep color/hue straight since you can set colors via HSL -- just beware that it's luminance is the reflective (print) formula, not the emissive (screen) one -- and there is a real difference between the two.

Honestly, even the ugliest colors can look 'noise an toit' if you keep the hue relatively close and keep the color contrasts for the text legible -- and as I've said many times illegible color contrasts are part of the trifecta of /FAIL/ at web design, the other two being fixed widths and declaring all fonts on a page in px.

deathshadow, May 13, 2013 IP
  3. Florin Pop

Florin Pop Member

Best Answers:
    Can you show me some examples of perfect colored websites?

Florin Pop, May 14, 2013 IP
  4. dneff

dneff Greenhorn

Best Answers:

"Perfect colored website" is rather a subjective term. For example, if you were doing a political website for a politician, you would most likely use red and blue, not purple and yellow. However, if you wanted more of a cool website, then a light blue and white color combo would go well.

What is the purpose of the website you are trying to make? Does the company have an "official colour"? These are what you need to know before asking.

I would recommend going through http://themeforest.net/ to look at their templates. All of their templates are amazing and well built.

dneff, May 14, 2013 IP