1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

knowledge about Directory business

Discussion in 'Directories' started by yousafzai99, Apr 13, 2013.

1. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:

Out of the mouths of babes.

Do you have any idea why Dirbull lost its PR? It has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with blackhat techniques to gain the PR in the first place. But how would you know that?

No offence, but your "experience" lacks knowledge, engagement and involvement in this industry. You're entitled to your opinion, it's just not one that anyone who has any expertise in the directory industry will share, because their experience is going to be totally different to yours, and based on actual evidence, rather than conjecture.

silencer, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  2. article-spider

article-spider Member

Best Answers:
    Quality directories are still worth the time and effort. if someone submits to my directories with spammy anchor text and keywords, it will be deleted.
    i don't have a problem with people charging to review sites as this cuts down on the spammers who don't want to pay.

article-spider, Apr 25, 2013 IP
  3. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's a good idea to charge for submission reviews, and don't even have a problem with the directories that charge more than I can afford, although it both annoys and amuses me when I come across a directory that really sucks, and obviously accepts whatever anyone is willing to pay for, yet charges hundreds of dollars for a submission review, and there are a lot of them.

It may not eliminate it completely, but charging even a very modest fee does cut back on the number of spam or garbage submissions, as few will pay even $5 for the privilege of spamming someone. It also compensates the directory owner for the time that is spent in reviewing the site. I know that when I review a submission, I review the site, and not just the words that someone entered into the submission form, and this often involves changing the title, description, and the category that the site was submitted to.

If I'm only charging from $1-5, I might value my time enough that I won't want to spend too much of it on a submitted site that doesn't add value to the directory, in which case I might just delete it. On the other hand, if it's a good site, I might consider it worth my time to make the necessary modifications to the title and description, and to move it to an appropriate category. On the other hand, if I were charging enough to pay for my time, it could be spent fixing this stuff.

4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just because most people can define the word 'directory' in the abstract does not mean that they know what a web directory is or how they work.

Easier to just agree to disagree on this one.

My experience apparently differs from yours. Nothing more, nothing less. Silly me. I was actually trying to offer helpful suggestions to a fellow forum member. My bad. Won't make that mistake with you again.

YMC, Apr 25, 2013 IP
    stoner3221 likes this.
  5. Web Directory Reviews Org

Web Directory Reviews Org Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    They never will if directory operators refuse to optimize for the product and service that they are offering.

6. Afrasiab

Afrasiab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    High PR directories links have still importance .

Afrasiab, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  7. vijaysinh1

vijaysinh1 Member

Best Answers:

Yes, i have page rank from 1 to 6 mix major are 3 to 5.

vijaysinh1, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Penguin was what, a year ago now? 99.9% of all the gripes, complaints, fits, and other malarkey relating to penguin is purely the fabrication of overly over-reactive and overzealous wannabe SEO's who have no business collecting money from those who could otherwise do a better job promoting their website themselves.

At this stage of the game, anyone still spamming message boards and emailing people touting Penguin the cause of grief and anguish in SERPs is living in the past.

Mia, Apr 29, 2013 IP
    silencer and stoner3221 like this.
  9. yousafzai99

yousafzai99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Mia I agree with you.I have the same thinking that there is still nothing bed about quality directories.

yousafzai99, May 1, 2013 IP
  10. SearchEngineTool

SearchEngineTool Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Mia, the fact is it doesn't matter if you have a 2-3 page blog that provides something great or a full blown web community that provides something great.

The fact is Google is updating their algorithms responsibly and effectively to favor true webmasters who take the time and dedicate themselves to creating and promoting a web presence organically and respectfully.

I could take a 1 page 1 image website and make it go viral with PR1 with the proper promotion strategy that is grabbing but not spam.

SearchEngineTool, May 1, 2013 IP
    stoner3221 likes this.
  11. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Penguin 4 is nearly upon us, and people that didn't learn from the last 3 updates will surely learn from the 4th...

It's not fabrication, over-reaction or over-zealousness. SEOs have done saturation submissions of their clients to directories. They've chosen poor anchor text rotations (either too few or too similar) in combination with far too many links (rather than choose quality they have chosen quantity).

It's not something that is going to go away, or disappear or be a figment of people's imagination. It is real.

Where we agree is that it is NOT about directories. It is about "anchor text" matching. The reason people even mention directories is because they submit ONE anchor text title to 10,000 directories. That ONE title and that number of links is a high proportion of their link profile and as such they are flagged. It makes sense. It isn't an attack on directories. It is an attack on OVER saturation. If there is ONE thing that you should listen to in a Matt Cutts video it is the word MODERATION.

Every SEO technique, every SEO link building method, should be done in moderation. If you do it to extreme or saturation point then expect the candle to burn brightly but VERY shortly. Most clients, site-owners, webmasters, etc, are in it for the long haul and want a long term presence in the search engine.

The organic way of doing things, is to approach every method in MODERATION.

It's the old golf club analogy that I have been boring you guys with for years. You don't play a round of golf with your pitching wedge (directories) but by the same token you don't leave that club out of your bag, it comes in handy. Just use it in moderation, and when the situation requires it!!!

No, they are just ignorant of the fact that it is their own poor choice of anchor and links causing the issue...

silencer, May 5, 2013 IP
  12. ktp2012

ktp2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    quality directory always is good d people get more article, and read it, so it is useful. in fact, directory have huge traffic , owner of directory make money , they put ads, it is good idea to make money

ktp2012, May 8, 2013 IP
  13. yousafzai99

yousafzai99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    guys I hope the coming update will solve this issue.

yousafzai99, May 8, 2013 IP
  14. yousafzai99

yousafzai99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    HI SILENCER I WAS MUCH PLEASED TO HERE ANOTHER FORUM FOR DIRECTORY I WENT TO YOUR WEBSITE AND MADE ACCOUNT THERE BUT STILL I CANNOT WRITE ANYTHING IN FORUM AREA DUE TO TECHNICAL ERROR.CAN YOU FIX THAT ISSUE ALSO I AM SENDING YOU MY DIRECTORIES PLEASE ADD AND GIVE ME SOME TIPS THAT HOW CAAN I MAKE THEM MORE BETTER AS SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT.:)

yousafzai99, May 8, 2013 IP
  15. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yousafzai99. No need to shout in all caps :)

The forum should be working fine now, please try again...

silencer, May 10, 2013 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is a solution other than to focus heavily on other SE's and your own content/directory. Google's pretty much waged and all out war against everything and anything and at this point the war they are waging is really with themselves. I've all but completely abandoned them as a personal search platform due to the lack of relevance and crap mfa sites that show up in the first 10 results. I find a dead link or dead site on the first page of results for nearly every search. I think its time they started concentrating more on their own problems and less on what they think people are doing to rank their sites.

Mia, May 10, 2013 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The problem is, what is organic to a site owner is not organic to Google. What is likely a valid attempt at promoting one's content rich site is frowned upon by google. Yet intermingled in every set of results are eons of crappy MFA sites and DEAD links and sites that have NOTHING to do with the search that was conducted. Meanwhile web sites with valid, relevant content are nixed because they chose to try to pimp their site just a little bit, or they have an ALT tag somewhere that tripped a filter, or they chose to list their site somewhere other than with google.. Or perhaps they just submitted their URL in webmaster tools.. I've found that to be the best way to get deindexed for some. Just tell google more about your site. Is the objective here to deliver up results that correspond to a end users combination of keyword choices, or is it to single out web sites that have too many of those keywords because if nothing else, those web sites actually have those keywords in place because they BELONG there, not because they are trying to get you to click on ads for forex, ringtones, or shrinking hoses???

Google really SUCKS right now.. In so many ways.

Mia, May 10, 2013 IP
    silencer likes this.
  18. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ahhh and now we come to the real problem. Why is the internet, and the way we promote our sites controlled by a monopoly --- 1 entity that decides our fate. Promote the wrong way, and woopsy you disappear from the internet. Too bad if you have lots of money and want to spend it everywhere else but Google because they will make you disappear.

Yes. We agree on that point. If you had a bricks 'n' mortar business, and were told by "sign-writers-are-us" that you could use any service you liked but if you didn't use theirs all your signs would be painted black... Well you'd likely ring the police :)

Agree. My post was really to state what is really happening, and how people need to wake up. Whilst we WANT it to be the organic way that you and I see things, that isn't what is really happening. To survive the rules have to be followed, and those ignoring the rules or trying to state the situation as something other than what isn't really happening, are going to feel the bite when their site gets nailed.

For me it's not so much the entity that sux, as the control they exert which sucks. Absolute power and all that. If there was a stronger competitive alternative, then you couldn't be put over a barrel. Instead of working against webmasters Google would work with them (like it did in the early days when establishing itself).

silencer, May 10, 2013 IP
    Revelations-Decoder likes this.
  19. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:

That is pretty much what happens when you have a monopoly established. You can make users on every side bend over and take it or business owners risk being banned from search. Does not matter if your a business owner trying to rank or a consumer trying to find because everyone loses.

Searchers just have to take the garbage they see in search results due to the paid advertising being shown in results more and more.

Google profits by not ranking businesses well in search results because then those businesses have to pay them for every click to play.

Government is so far behind on monitoring monopolies being established digitally ie Google it is not even funny.

swedal, May 11, 2013 IP
  20. Matthias

Matthias Member

Best Answers:
    For a good directory, Google is pretty much meaningless and any directory that frets over Google's flatulations isn't worth visiting. A good directory will always weather Google's nonsense.

Matthias, May 12, 2013 IP