1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vBulletin or XenForo or phpBB .. What's better ?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Caspoor, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Spineless Monkey

Spineless Monkey Active Member

Best Answers:
    The SEO is very good.

I can't find it now but I read somewhere on XF that the only part of the URL that is needed is the thread ID and if the title of a thread changes links will still take you to the correct thread.

As for robots.txt, here is the one they use at XF http://xenforo.com/robots.txt

As for placing you first in Google, the software can't really control that. You need to have good content to rank high. It doesn't matter how well the software handles SEO, if you have no content you're not going to rank.

Spineless Monkey, May 9, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  2. bhavinsw

bhavinsw Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for helping reply,

Actually I'm confusing is that, In couponing and many other niche I can only see vbulletin forum on top, I can't see xenforo other than digitalpoint.com.

hope will soon see some more forum from XF.

bhavinsw, May 9, 2013 IP
  3. Spineless Monkey

Spineless Monkey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe this will help a little;

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-big-forum-list.26352/

Spineless Monkey, May 9, 2013 IP
  4. GeeOne

GeeOne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DP has shifted to XenForo from VB. The admin is really exprienced and knowledgeable also running DP for many years. If he has chosen XenForo there must be a solid reason. If you want to follow champion you should go for it IMO.

G!

GeeOne, May 9, 2013 IP
  5. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why would Google do that anyway? This way you just reveal the location of your AdminCP.

vBulletin has the same feature.

Devtard, May 9, 2013 IP
  6. EasyAsPie

EasyAsPie Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can afford it, I suggest you to go with vBulletin. It has a huge community and lots of plugins you can use to make your forum suit your needs. It's also good for SEO and almost everyone is familiar with it since it's so popular.

I would suggest you to have a look at Burning Board too. It's a very good forum although quite unknown. They also offer a free lite version for you to test it. If you like it, you can always purchase the full version and upgrade without losing any data. It's also a lot cheaper than vBulletin or other leading forum software.

EasyAsPie, Jun 8, 2013 IP
  7. Gomar

Gomar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really cool, to see DP chiming in on the conversation. Why do you think digital point doesn't have section for IPB? Is there a reason that IPB is not as good as the others. For me personally, I would only consider using IPB or XenForo.

Not only is vBulletin 5 not that good, but they lost my trust after they started forcing you to buy a new license on a major update. So much for thinking you bought a lifetime licenses, felt like they pulled a fast one on me. After that, i just said screw it, I'm gonna switch to IPB and I actually like it far more than vBulletin.

Gomar, Jun 17, 2013 IP
  8. nam207

nam207 Member

Best Answers:
    The first time I have read about xenforo today, boy, I'm so backward!

From outside, it looks pretty good, I've played with vb2 and 3 for so many years, not with 4. I guess I might give xenforo a try someday!

nam207, Aug 6, 2013 IP
  9. FutureCPA

FutureCPA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm completely biased since I've run a phpbb forum for a few years but . . . yeah, phpbb.

Still, to quote the phrase I preface all my tax-related advice with, it depends. I like phpbb because of the pricepoint (free) and the huge community that supports it. Yes, mods aren't always the most user-friendly and may take some custom edits but they've implemented a system now where you can install and update most new mods with a click of a button. Not to mention the number of mods out there far surpasses that of any of the pay forums; and again, they won't cost you an arm and a leg.

FutureCPA, Aug 13, 2013 IP
    pilot35 likes this.
  10. nadalbg

nadalbg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tihnk phpbb3 is as good as xenforo, I like som etihngs in xenforo and some things in phpbb3. Some I dont like. The most important thing is how you manage the forum. Even with the best software if you dont have users to post your forum will die.

nadalbg, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  11. IceCreamTruck

IceCreamTruck Active Member

Best Answers:
    I run a forum on Xenforo. My problem at the moment is that I have over 1,000 members but I believe most if not all are spam accounts. I'm unsure how I can tell who is real and who is not? Can anyone using Xenforo tell me how to weed out bad accounts after they've already registered?

IceCreamTruck, Dec 29, 2013 IP
  12. okpa

okpa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sure XenForo is the best

okpa, Jul 10, 2014 IP
  13. Samker

Samker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm using SMF for 7 Years and it works perfectly. ;)

Samker, Jul 17, 2014 IP
  14. Cloudcandy Host

Cloudcandy Host Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion XenForo is the best...

Cloudcandy Host, Jul 17, 2014 IP
  15. superj707

superj707 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Now that some time has passed can we discuss which is the best? I have a large SMF site that I would like to migrate. I think it's neat that VB has a mobile app solution now. VB seems the only system that is fully responsive in design too. However, IPB seems the only system that has figured out how to streamline the migration process. Any advice?

superj707, Sep 29, 2014 IP
  16. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would say, go with Xenforo it's the best for forum now. Also feels smooth user experience.

pupul, Sep 29, 2014 IP