1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link removal requests? What to do with them?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by olddocks, May 3, 2013.

Seems like the link removal requests picked up its pace and atleast i am getting 2 requests a day to remove links from my directory. what to do with them? is this a sign that my directory is hated by google?

olddocks, May 3, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what to do with them?

Be nice and remove them and respond to request saying you are sorry they feel that way and ask them why.

Or be obnoxious and leave them having to use disavow because you have not responded to their request.

How would you like your similar request responded to the other way round is the best way to measure how you deal with it...

Revelations-Decoder, May 3, 2013 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of these link removal requests stem from the site having too many backlinks using the same text.

Why not educate the requesting site owner to this fact and offer to change their presumably keyword-filled link/title text to the title of their site?

Going around and removing all of their backlinks, rather than fixing them, is more than a little counterproductive.

YMC, May 3, 2013 IP
    silencer likes this.
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I may get some flack for saying this, but it is your website and you can place whatever content you want on it, so long as you are not breaking any laws. Google has a very similar policy and have always held onto the principle they can put virtually any link in their search results.

dvduval, May 3, 2013 IP
    dotcompals, sarahk and silencer like this.
  5. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Appreciate your response but it lacks directory experience particularly since this is a penguin trigger, and is usually a knee-jerk reaction by site owners who *know* they've done the wrong thing.

Olddocks - I'm making the assumption you have good editing principles; list quality websites; and maintain your directory. With that in mind, removing their listing is entirely at your discretion and how it influences your content...

Based on YMC's response a clever idea might be to offer them a compromise. You keep the listing but alter it so that it is more in-line with a search engine friendly idea of what a listing should look like. Generally people requesting removals or changes have done a saturation of a keyword anchor and are looking to water it down and dilute it.

So let's say it is Kevin's Wacky Widgets, you might change it to Kevin's Widgets, New York or similar to diversify it some. Really, we have to remember that anything that triggers a penalty is an over-saturation of something. When we don't do things in moderation and go to an extreme we are going to trigger a penalty. So it is not the link itself that is causing the issue. It is the fact that they have 768 other links all with the same anchor built around the same time...

It's an obvious link build spam method.

So offer to change it to something that they don't have elsewhere (that includes the description).

Benefit (if it's a good site) you keep the content, they get a good link that isn't like all their other links

OR

Remove it and just forget about it.

No. You won't get flack you will get praise because that is how a directory owner should think. Stop being bullied directory owners. The reason your content is weak is because you allow yourselves to get pushed around. Your content is YOUR content. You choose it. You have control over it. You decide the anchors, the description, the listings, and the information that is provided with them.

If you are a real directory owner, you would take someone's removal request NOT as an insult but as an opportunity to give them a unique listing. They are contacting you because they are afraid. They have done something wrong and they are looking to apportion blame or to get out of trouble. If you are providing them a good link, then alter it slightly and continue to provide them with that good link. If you are feeling guilty then perhaps you aren't really providing a good link.

David. Your comment is well noted. You are telling Directory Owners to stand up for themselves, and I agree that the real owners should absolutely stand up. Feel proud, not guilty.

silencer, May 5, 2013 IP
    dvduval likes this.
  6. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is the reply I'm sending all removal requests now:

"Greetings,
    No website listed in Skaffe or WoW Directory is violating Google Webmaster Guidelines for being in the directory. We are a directory not a link farm and never remove good resources. Please use the Google Disavow tool if you feel being listed in a credible, trusted directory composed of primarily freely or editor submitted websites could be harming your rankings."

I normally get a thank you back from the sender for replying.

stoner3221, May 5, 2013 IP
    silencer likes this.
  7. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

And what happens if the G decides to use the disavow as a metric (which gets built up) to view your site unfavourably due to this stance?

Revelations-Decoder, May 6, 2013 IP
  8. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    LOL, I have never been terribly concerned about Google. I run my directories as I feel directories should be run and that's for people and so far it as been a successful plan of operation. When you start running any website for the search engines is when you start running into problems.

stoner3221, May 6, 2013 IP
  9. Revelations-Decoder

Best Answers:

Agreed to some extent but not completely as the likes of G do help with bettering things RE development, but anyhow this still doesn't address the "what if" element of Google using the disavow element this way behind the scenes question.

Revelations-Decoder, May 6, 2013 IP
  10. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    It's the "what if" element of Google that I'm concerned with least. Life has far more interesting things to deal with.

11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems to me that is not the sort of email that would win friends. Other than the SEO weenies, someone sending removal requests is simply uneducated about the situation. Why not work to educate them instead of telling them shut up, go away?

YMC, May 6, 2013 IP
  12. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's my job to train or educate anybody and with hundreds of link removal requests a week it would be rather time consuming.

13. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i like this attitude and i admire you for a proud directory owner. As you are the owner of directory, you are free to do whatever you want and nobody can dictate terms what to and what not to do with your website, include Google.

@ silencer @stoner @dvduval -> seeing your posts almost after 7 years.

olddocks, May 6, 2013 IP
  14. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're already sending a canned reply. Why couldn't the reply explain Penguin what it is and what it isn't and offer to edit their listing for a fee? You keep them as a future customer and could maybe pick up a few bucks for a 2 minute job.

Sorry, I just don't get the you're stupid and I don't care sort of response. The people sending those requests don't care if you get two of them a week or a thousand a day. All they know/think is that Google is threatening them and their site. Whether you are selling automobiles, widgets or directory links it seems there is some need to educate the customer as to what they are and are not getting.

You spend more and make more than I do from my little niche directory for sure. I get size can dictate business practices. I just don't get the who gives a crap style of customer service.

YMC, May 6, 2013 IP
  15. stoner3221

Best Answers:
    Who gives a crap, LOL

16. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:

When I have time I try to help. I have a canned response on my site, and I send them the link. If I am especially feeling helpful I look at the links pointing to their site, and it is obvious they didn't do manual directory submission and point that out to them.

dvduval, May 7, 2013 IP
  17. amiman

amiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or you could even charge them an admin fee to remove them.

amiman, May 7, 2013 IP
  18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea, except Google told them to report anyone who does that.

YMC, May 7, 2013 IP
    syted likes this.
  19. zekin

zekin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'd deactivate the link per request with no question ask and move on, if it was a free submission.

I'd spend a bit more time to explain the real situation and ask them to reconsider, if it was a paid submission.

zekin, May 8, 2013 IP
  20. amiman

amiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But directory owners are in business to make money, time spent removing links submitted by the site owner or their hired representative take time. Its OK for us to take the time to review their site and then it seems its OK for us remove their review all for free.
    Google is not in a position to dictate what people charge for their services. Free or otherwise.
    We are all in business, Google included to make money.

Time IS Money

amiman, May 8, 2013 IP
    arrisweb and nationhealth like this.