1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

quick question on what step I should take next.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by shelby1324, Apr 30, 2013.

Going to make this quick, I just finished the Html, and css courses on codeacademy. Was told to start java next, and so I have, but I feel that I may need to practice html and css more. What are your thoughts? should I learn java right now or should I try to sharpen the languages I've just learned? Web design is a new found passion of mine and so I'm willing to devote the time....just need direction.

Solved! View solution.
    shelby1324, Apr 30, 2013 IP
  2. a1brandz

a1brandz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I advice you to first practice basics first (HTML and CSS) and then any programming languages as the role of programming languages is to give functionality to website where as HTML and CSS are helpful designing website.

a1brandz, Apr 30, 2013 IP
    I think you should wait some time and practice what you've learned before start getting into JavaScript.

Hefaistos, Apr 30, 2013 IP
  4. SitesTen

SitesTen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Shelby,

As Hefaistos said, it's good to start learning JavaScript. Note that Java is NOT JavaScript. Those are totally different languages. So you probably mean JavaScript within your question.

In any case I have something else to add, while learning JavaScript, get a mixed course that will include jQuery library. jQuery is a powerful JavaScript library that simplifies a lot the HTML developers life adding web browser compatibility and powerful features. So don't do the wrong step by starting learning JavaScript and in after that diving in jQuery, rather try learning them at once.

So to conclude, by learning HTML + CSS + JavaScript + jQuery you'll gain the full potential of HTML development. Once you feel you mastered all this you may want to further improve by learning a server side language (scripting or not) like PHP, Java, ASP.NET, etc.

SitesTen, Apr 30, 2013 IP
  5. Del Kirk

Del Kirk Member

Best Answers:
    Hi shelby1324,

The best way is to carry on with building HTML & CSS sites and add some Javascript elements to your sites. It is the best way to learn example add a basic slider to your site and experiment with the code, In my opinion it is the best way to learn... trail and error ;)

Del Kirk, May 2, 2013 IP
  6. cadsii

cadsii Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are serious about web design you will have to learn the basics.

HTML + CSS is a must as its the basis on which every site renders its content from
    you will need jQuery / Javascript to modify that HTML/CSS after the page has been rendered, weather its animations, sliders, fetching data via Ajax etc

You will also need to learn either PHP or ASP for server side execution. This is all the stuff that will spit out the HTML + CSS. These languages are service side meaning users will never see the code.

Web Development is awesome, it changes and improves everyday with new frameworks that arrive.
    I'm glad your getting the itch :)

cadsii, May 2, 2013 IP
  7. shelby1324

shelby1324 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oh wow I could have sworn I replied back on here. Anyways Thank you all for the help! I'm going to take a little bit of time off from learning anything new and I'm going to focus on the things I do know. I realized the other day that there are a few things with css that I should get better at first before moving on. I guess the best way to practice is to create a mock site right?

shelby1324, May 2, 2013 IP
  8. sourabhkejriwal

sourabhkejriwal Member

Best Answers:
    after learing html and css....I would suggest you learn php rather than java....its easier, usefull and most importantly free.

sourabhkejriwal, May 5, 2013 IP
  9. Hefaistos

Hefaistos Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, that's the best way for practice.

Hefaistos, May 5, 2013 IP
  10. flexcarrera

flexcarrera Banned

Best Answers:
    Very sorry to jump off topic, just thought I'd give codeacademy a quick thumbs up! I began learning Python via CA and would highly recommend it to any aspiring developers!

flexcarrera, May 5, 2013 IP
  11. freelancewebaz

freelancewebaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would spend a few months just working on small projects and reading the source of other people's sites to see how they've done things. I've personally found more practice to be more helpful than learning more technologies.

freelancewebaz, May 5, 2013 IP
  12. david_of_makurl

david_of_makurl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i'd recommend practicing what you just learned, make sure it's honed in your skill set before adding another language to your belt, and as a previous commenter noted, if you're interested in web programming, i'd suggest php instead of java, php is something of a "web standard", another commenter also suggested a "mock website", may be an endeavour worth looking into

david_of_makurl, May 6, 2013 IP