1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Motivation for Those Who Are Struggling

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jmjsolutions, Apr 28, 2013.

Yes, I am very new to this forum, as you will see from my post count. However, I am not at all new to business and online marketing. 3 years ago, I started the journey to find a way to build online income. Exactly 1 year ago, this dream became a reality for me. In fact, being laid off was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. I got laid off in Jan 2012. I'd been trying to make it in IM for 2 years already at that point. When I was laid off, it was like the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I had some bitterness toward the company, but I decided to channel that energy into my online efforts. Thankfully, I had been working long enough to get a few months worth of unemployment income. I tell you, I did nothing but work my butt off for those 3 months of unemployment and JUST in time when my benefits ran out, my business reached the point of generating enough to live on. I have never turned back from that moment. (Note: I am not suggesting that anybody try and get laid off. I am only saying that I managed to turn my lemon into lemonade).

Here are my motivational tips for you:

1.) FOCUS - Prior to being laid off, I worked IM on the side for 2 years. But I had a big problem. Most of you are probably familiar with this problem. It is known as "shiny new object" syndrome. I jumped around constantly...I would put a little bit of effort into one thing and then immediately jump ship if that one thing didn't work fast enough. The year I got laid off, I finally began to focus on just 1 thing at a time. The key is FOCUS on 1 method at a time and make sure you give your 100% to a method before you move onto something else. You can always add more income streams later after you've mastered one.

2.) Think Positive - Yes, I know this is not a new concept. But I cannot emphasize how important it is!!! Seriously! Sometimes it is difficult to actually believe that you will achieve your goals. We live in a negative world. The average person has a negative mindset. So how can you think positive in the face of all this negativity? It is something I call "Positive Brainwashing". You really have to reprogram your mind to believe you can achieve your dream. You must fervently condition your mind. This can be accomplished by watching motivation material ON A DAILY BASIS (think Tony Robbins, Zig Ziglar, Les Brown, Joel Osteen or whoever gets you excited about your dreams). Make it a habit of listening or watching these materials every single day. I am not exaggerating when I say every single day. If you skip a day, it is truly possible to slip back into a negative mindset that can last weeks.

3.) Watch Your Words - It would be hard to condition your mind to think positive if your words are saying something else. It will not do you any good to wake up in the morning and watch or listen to the best motivational seminar in the world....if later you speak doubts to someone about your business or anything. Don't complain. Any time you feel upset by something that happens, refocus your mind on the things that you DO have. There is always someone in a worse position than you...always. So be thankful and SPEAK gratitude.

4.) Keep Learning - Constantly keep up with what is new in your field. Whenever I am struggling with something, whether it is getting traffic to a new site or promoting via email, I get on the forums and the internet marketing blogs and I look for new information. Most of the time, there is a method I have not heard about or tried yet, which can be the solution to my problem. Invest in new training. If you seek, you will find.

5.) ACTION - Finally, the obvious one: you've got to take action. Thinking positive, watching your words, and continuously learning are wonderful concepts but they won't help you if you don't act on what you absorb. HOWEVER, if all you do is act without thinking positive, taking time to learn, and speaking the right words, you will find yourself burnt out and with nothing to show for it. << That was the story of my life for a long time. I worked and worked and worked...I took so much action that I left myself no time to implement steps 1-4. I burnt myself out to no end and my social life suffered. Working like a robot is not conducive to true success. For me, it did not even make me much money. The real money didn't start showing up until I made time for those other aspects.

Well that's all I've got for today. If at least one thing I've written here lifts someone's spirits, then this post was worth writing :)

jmjsolutions, Apr 28, 2013 IP
  2. gkuang2

gkuang2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, great story. There is a recent thread started by someone who is also deciding whether they should quit their job and focus on their internet business. You should probably go post on their thread and let them know your story. It would help them so much.

gkuang2, May 2, 2013 IP
    jmjsolutions likes this.
  3. xAlexKimx

xAlexKimx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you! Great story; very motivated.

xAlexKimx, May 3, 2013 IP
  4. mpw460

mpw460 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very good post! I think that you could work as a motivational speaker or writer. People give up all too easily these days.

mpw460, May 6, 2013 IP
  5. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    These are all super important. To me, the most important one is to think positive. Without the right winning mindset, nothing will work for you. With all these combined though, nothing in the world can stop you from succeeding in business.

ninjamtlt1, May 6, 2013 IP
  6. liquidwebBret

liquidwebBret Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Indeed I'm moved by your story. That proves that just because things start off not looking good, doesn't mean it will remain that way. Great work!

liquidwebBret, May 7, 2013 IP
  7. Del Kirk

Del Kirk Member

Best Answers:
    I'm glad things worked out for you! :) I have never been one for motivational speakers, I remember watching a 20 minute advert on Tony Robbins, The advert was so good I was ready to give it a go, till the very last minute and the price for the DVD's popped up on the screen!

I have been self employed for a few years now, during the period of losing my job and looking for another (the back of my mind knowing the long term plan, where I'm nearly at now) I volunteered my services free of charge to the local web agencies. This was the best thing I done:
    - You get the bigger picture of how things work.
    - You don't have the pressures of a paid worker.
    - And most importantly the job center gives your breathing space to do it.

But what you said in all your points is key because it is so easy to get in the mind set of "it will come to me" and then you stare at the computer wondering why nothing is happening! If you do not have that self motivation and belief you will only go as far as the walls you put up.

Del Kirk, May 7, 2013 IP
  8. fernie02

fernie02 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Awesome story! All 5 points are extremely important. I believe the most important is #5.

You have to take Action. Without action you will not see any result whatsoever. :)

fernie02, May 8, 2013 IP
  9. IsayHey

IsayHey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely great post and I must say is very truthful especially in terms of the 'shiny new object syndrome' as this is very true in my experience of internet marketing. Bookmarked this post for whenever I need some motivation to make some more money!

Thanks.

IsayHey, May 10, 2013 IP
  10. goletu

goletu Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Your story of how you turn bitter situation into a point of generating enough to live is amazing. Am motivated by your ability to use your energy into your online efforts which brought you result.

goletu, May 10, 2013 IP