1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice on SEO competition

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by John Mc Gilveray, Apr 28, 2013.

Hi All

Im a new member here and was looking for a little bit of advice if anyone feels they could help me?

I am looking to do some work for a new client on his website and have a look at his current SEO.
    Ive made them aware im not an SEO expert but said i would look into their questions.

In the top 7 results, the companies main site ranks 1st and the twitter account is currently 4th.
    The company also has a facebook account, linkedin account, youtube account and a blog but none of these show up in the rankings?
    They are currently a market leader for their product but a competitor looks to be piggy backing their keywords.
    The competitor is currently ranked 2nd in google using the main keyword in one of their articles.

The question i have is how would i go about moving them off the first page of google?

I assume the first step is to do some competitive research using tools such as SEM Rush or Ahrefs.
    But what would be the next step?
    Do i try outrank the competition with the companies social media accounts?

Im not looking to do any negative seo strategies.

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what i need to do but please let me know if there was anything i missed?

Any help is appreciated.

John Mc Gilveray, Apr 28, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good on site SEO using WordPress would be my first move, most likely, but that's just saying something blindly with little to go on but provides a sweeping statement of an answer that applies in many cases..

Revelations-Decoder, Apr 28, 2013 IP
  3. Ron Blackwelder

Ron Blackwelder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I find that using Google Keyword tool is best for the research part of keywords. I then copy into Market Samurai to do analysis. That works for me very well to find specific keywords to target.

Ron Blackwelder, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  4. henrychen876

henrychen876 Member

Best Answers:
    What revelations said was right!
    First, you need to make sure you got your onpage cover. There are tons of content out there talking about site optimization (onpage and offpage) search engine land is one example site where you can go to get information on these kind of topics as there are many factors involved to onpage optimization.

Wikipedia is one good example if you want to do proper onpage seo. They have a lot of internal linking that connects one page to another. This is the type of site to follow if your client's site cover whole bunch of topics.

Search engine land is great sample of site if you want to focus on one specific niche where they have manage their most important keywords and supplemental keywords on their site professionally (the topics are well-connected)

Huffingtonpost is another excellent example where you can use other people's content to be presented to your readers (curate other people's content) of course the topic should be a hot topic or interesting topic to your niche that can help your readers to solve problems etc.

Hope this help,

henrychen876, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  5. ushahm

ushahm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    go with google adword tool and select less competitive keywords it would help you to bring your site on top of search engines.

ushahm, Apr 30, 2013 IP
  6. synapse123

synapse123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the nice information, might be it will helpful for my new website to be in good position.

synapse123, May 8, 2013 IP
  7. sarah12

sarah12 Member

Best Answers:
    i am also facing same type of problem, my TUMBLR blog in shown on top page of Google instead of official blog of our client side on the same keyword.. why my tumblr blog is on top ?

sarah12, May 8, 2013 IP
  8. afoley77

afoley77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure that while doing on page you have selected low competitive keywords of high searches that can be easily optimized..

afoley77, May 8, 2013 IP
  9. neetuk

neetuk Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the wonderful advice on SEO. I really like it.

neetuk, Aug 2, 2013 IP