1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone using vBulletin 5 Connect?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by kuanaco, Mar 29, 2013.

How is it so far? Thoughts?

I am considering it but not really sold on it yet.

kuanaco, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  2. lord_stone

lord_stone Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can't suggest you vBulletin 5. It has some cool new ideas but it's coded very bad. There are major bugs (search broken, problems with polls, very slow etc.) and it's not able to use it for a live site. Also the last patch for vBulletin 5 is some time ago and we have to see if they stopped to work as actively as before on it.

Some very big sites changed to other solutions because vBulletin 5 is such a bad work and the vBulletin team did some very huge mistakes in communication and customer support.

Of course you can feel free to test vBulletin 5 with the demo they provide.

Maybe vBulletin 5 will be good in a year or some months but not now.

lord_stone, Mar 30, 2013 IP
  3. mattltm

mattltm Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely 100% don't do it!

Here are the problems I found (without actually looking!) in the first 1/2 hour. I've also included some of the answers from support (shortened to keep tidy but feel free to PM me for their full comical responses)...

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Bad usability for moderated users.
    Me: When a moderated user posts a new topic/reply, a light box overlay is displayed with the title "Conversation" and the error message "Error loading post." There is no confirmation that the post has been sent for moderation.

VB: Currently this is how the system works. You can log an improvement request.

Broken Modcp.
    Me: The image on the top left does not display in the mod cp.

VB: In vB5 the ModCP is largely deprecated, it's been left in because one or two functions still work.

Me: So you left it in but it's OK that it's broken? Why not just remove or fix it so that it doesn't look like someone couldn't be bothered to finish the job?

Another error in the "depreciated and crippled" modcp that VB decided to leave half finished.
    Me: Clicking on "forum home" link in the modcp opens http://www.domain.com/core/.php?s=6e6f92c9aefbf3ee986543345cb361514 and displays an "That action could not be completed. Please try again, and if this occurs again please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message." error.

No CSS applied when a new user confirms registration.
    Me: A new user receives the confirmation email and clicks the link. Is taken to a page with no style applied making it very hard for them to know what's going on.

VB: This is a known bug, apologies. It is fixed in the upcoming 5.0.1 release though.

Me: A know bug in a full release that prevents new members joining the forum? I thought VB5 was out of beta? Shouldn't the new user signup process have been tested before official release?

Error on FAQ page.
    Me:I am getting an error on the FAQ page - "That action could not be completed. Please try again, and if this occurs again please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message"

VB: that is a bug in vB5. Also the FAQ isn't yet 100% included. It should get fixed with the upcoming versions.

Me: I thought that VB 5 was a finished product? I have only just purchased it and was not made aware that it was still a beta version awaiting bug fixes! Are you saying that I should be using VB4 if I want a fully functioning forum?

VB: that's not what I'm saying. vBulletin 5 is a new software and has issues which get solved within the next versions. This is just a normal behaviour.

Me: New users cant join, no-one can see the FAQ page, and moderated users receive an error when they post. Normal behaviour for a forum?

----------------------------------------------------------------

My advice. Stay well away from VB5 at least until they have got their act together and managed to release a product that functions. If I wanted some beta forum software I would have installed Discourse!

mattltm, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  4. mkester

mkester Member

Best Answers:
    And I thought I had it bad with the facebook app add on, sounds like all your hair might already be ripped out. Are they refunding you since it sounds like your moving back to VB4?

mkester, Apr 1, 2013 IP
  5. mattltm

mattltm Member

Best Answers:
    "No refunds"

What makes it worse is that I only purchased VB for VB5. There was no notice on the product page that some features were still in beta and the impression was given that it was a completed product.

It seems that once they have your money, your stuffed.

Given my experience with IB + VB5, I will never be a customer of theirs again.

mattltm, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  6. seofriend

seofriend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think its time to remove vBulletin thread even ,
    as there are some sql injections vulnerability out there (here) for vBulletin 5 Connect , and its not updating anymore!

seofriend, Apr 6, 2013 IP
  7. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That ^ exploit is several months old and the newest version of vb is not affected by it. With that said, I would still not suggest vb5 on a live site just yet. I'd suggest waiting a year before even looking at the script.
    Hell.. vBulletin.com hasn't even issued an "official" release for vb5.

Brandon Sheley, Apr 26, 2013 IP
    seofriend likes this.
  8. mattltm

mattltm Member

Best Answers:
    According to VB it's functional and ready for use as it is out of Beta stage.

mattltm, Apr 26, 2013 IP
  9. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    nope, that is wrong but I'd love to see a staffs post saying it's ready for production.

Brandon Sheley, Apr 28, 2013 IP
  10. mattltm

mattltm Member

Best Answers:
    There is no mention on any of the public sales pages that VB5 is still in beta. In fact, you can go through the whole sales process without seeing any reference to VB5 being pre-production/beta/missing features etc.

According to a conversation I have had with support, as far as VB are concerned it is out of beta and just has a few "bugs".

I don't call the issues I have had with it "bugs", I call it a dysfunctional product.

Here is a snippet from a support thread...
    I don't know what you get from that but I read it as a member of support saying that VB5 is a finished product and is fit for use. I directly asked support if I should be using VB4 instead and I was not told yes.

VB5 is (at the time I used it) missing core features and is sold as a finished product that is ready for use with no warnings to potential purchasers about missing features or known (serious) bugs.

The current version of VB5 is 5.0.1 (5.0.0 at the time I was using it). The filename direct from vbulletin.com members area is vb5_connect_5-0-1_XX111XX11.zip. Note the lack of an alpha/beta tag in the version name and the filename.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    mattltm, Apr 28, 2013 IP
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  11. EliasAlucard

EliasAlucard Member

Best Answers:
    vBulletin 5 Connect is obviously one of the worst and most terrible software disasters on the internetz, ever. Who knows, in vB5.8.x it might have matured to something awesome, but for now, it's like, "what were they thinking?" I must say however, vB4 is underrated. I didn't want to upgrade to vB4 at first because vB3 was pretty damn good and there some plugins and skins on vB3 not available on vB4, but then a hacker kept hacking my forum, so I figured, maybe upgrading to vB4 will make the forum more secure. It didn't. But long story short, I upgraded, and certainly, overall, vB4 is the better product even though vB3 having been around longer, has some functionality and looks not available on 4 yet. It's a shame vB4 is no longer maintained aside from minor security patches, because Internet Brands' focus is the abomination known as vB5.

XenForo isn't quite as powerful as vB4 yet, and still lacks some basic functionality that's available in vB3/4, but the future of XenForo is looking real good. I really like the totally superior PM system of XenForo, with it's stylish Gmail-like thread view, and numerous participants in PM conversations (really excellent innovation). I will most likely upgrade to XenForo once I'm done with vB4, but XF needs some more time for now. So I can strongly recommend XenForo, and it's no wonder it's innovating, because many of the former lead vBulletin developers, are the owners and developers of XenForo.

Edit:

First post! :D

EliasAlucard, Apr 19, 2014 IP
  12. links4rank

links4rank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SO Sad. I already bought it.

Some car register but some cannot. Some member get this message:
    That action could not be completed. Please try again, and if this occurs again please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.

links4rank, May 30, 2014 IP
  13. cm2010

cm2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We are using 5.x.x version with Facebook Connect. Please click on "Login or Sign Up" on right top corner at http://www.bhanvad.com/forums/ to view Facebook connect. Also, you can view at http://www.bhanvad.com/forums/register

Do you need any help or suggestion about Facebook Connect?

cm2010, Jan 27, 2015 IP
  14. webhostingtrack

webhostingtrack Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    stay away from v5 - if you want to keep your forum alive - they reinvented the wheel, poorly.

webhostingtrack, Mar 31, 2015 IP
    digitalpoint likes this.