1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

my WP site is hacked

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by templates, Apr 22, 2013.

guess people have nothing better to do..when i go to the site it says hacked by..then a bunch of arabic shit..so, how to revert site back?..actually, its all the sites on my server that runs wp..fuckers

templates, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  2. Mehwish Naqvi

Mehwish Naqvi Member

Best Answers:
    Its sad, try restoring backups. and use high security on your server and wordpress to.
    Install CFS firewall on server

Mehwish Naqvi, Apr 22, 2013 IP
    templates likes this.
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    is there any way I can have a look? I can see what I can do.

Are you on a vps or shared or reseller account? Depending on what your using, your host might have backups done daily or weekly. I would contact them first before you try to "unhack" your wordpress.

matt_62, Apr 22, 2013 IP
    templates likes this.
  4. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Before restoring , you should have to check your backup with antivirus. May be malicious code in your website. And use DDOS protected hosting.

humtuma, Apr 22, 2013 IP
    templates likes this.
  5. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am on a vps and i had it set up to do weekly backups, however my host said they can find no cpanel backups anywhere..im wondering if something happened to the backups during all this..

6. Supriyo

Supriyo Member

Best Answers:
    Hello templates...my blogging site was hacked some months back and I had to suffer a great loss due to that. As you are in the similar position, you need to be very methodical in dealing with this problem. The backups might be lost from cPanel but do you have backup on your local computer? If yes, then you can upload those files to the server.

Irrespective of whether you have backup files or not, you need to do few things;

You need to change access details of your wordpress sites and cPanel. Make sure the IDs are uncommon and passwords are strong enough.

You should change the theme immediately. The existing theme could get corrupt. It's better to install a new theme. Installing a new theme would only take some minutes.

If you have awstats, you can check which IPs hit your website when it got hacked. It's better to block those IPs, though you might lose some dedicated visitors, you can protect your site from hackers in future.

If you could recover the backup files, you should upload them as soon as possible. In case you couldn't, start posting new content quickly because shutting down the site for long might result in loss of visitors and drop of PR.

I guess, you'd get the backup files. Hope to hear from you soon.

Supriyo, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  7. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't look like any files survived as far as backup goes.. I'm going to try and update thettheme and change all password again.. On the sites that I feel are not worth the effort, I will redirect them.. Sigh*

8. sniper2008

sniper2008 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ask your host provider if they have the latest backup. and do not forget to scan the backup with antivir.

And then with the backup gladly you can see your site live again after restoring it. Good luck! :)

sniper2008, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  9. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What error its showing?

Go to your PhpMyAdmin and change the password.

For security reason: update all your wordpress site to your latest version.

karthimx, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  10. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's really sad to see another victim of the massive hacking epidemic on-going with WordPress based websites. BBC too took notice of this and posted a news in this regards, check here.
    In these instances the hackers have been specifically targeting WordPress based sites with Admin usernames that have administrator level access. If your site had the same credentials then it's because of this the site would have got hacked.

Well, first of all make sure that you change the username to something else with a password really complicated (something that involves a combination of alpha numeric, upper & lower case and special characters. ex: 20d!G!t@1P0int#fOrnm$13). Of course, you must do this after you reinstalled the latest clean copy from the backups.
    Then restrict access to the wp-admin page from .htaccess file based on IPs.

I'm not sure if I should be sharing it here, but a detailed description about the solution can be found in here.
    Hope it helps.

Markwebuk, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  11. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I forgot to reply to this thread as I wanted to mention the solution just in case others had similar issues. After talking with the OP privately, we discovered that 2 files had been changed, this is the main wordpress index.php file and a file in the themes. Once the theme files were restored, and the index.php file replaced with the original wordpress file, everything worked.

So if anyone reading this thread is hacked and wants to try to fix it, check the index.php and themes folders first, and check the dates and times to see which files (if any) have been changed recently)

matt_62, May 1, 2013 IP
    Fakher likes this.
  12. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Glad to know that your help has help the OP fix the problem. But have you also ensured that the site doesn't get hacked again ?

Markwebuk, May 8, 2013 IP
  13. ijoome

ijoome Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Always use the latest versions or wp,Host site on good hosting provider,If any site hacked then you can restore backups from hosting server.Never use Outdated Plugins and code.Complete Uninstall unused plugins from WP. Never use plugins if you don't know their functionality.

ijoome, May 9, 2013 IP
  14. webinsane

webinsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is losing battle with hackers. We have suPHP running on all our shared servers. This insures that bad WP copy never infects other websites.

webinsane, May 13, 2013 IP