1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Achieving A Good Quality Score

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by shteca, Apr 4, 2013.

Does anyone know of a guide to how to get a good quality score with Google Ads, I know that it affects the CPC but how do you improve the QS?

shteca, Apr 4, 2013 IP
  2. James Chambers

James Chambers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That would take a few volumes.. but let me give you the top few things.. then scurry on over to UTUBE and watch 5 or 6 hundred videos on the Quality score thingy. A few of them are worthless but most are helpful.. Pay close attention to all the ones by Google staff... they have done a ton of videos on All facets of adwords... OK.. so here we go.. but its just a synopsis to wet your appetite.. To learn quality score here by asking questions will take forever. Go watch some videos then come back with the questions that you did not understand...
    Your quality score will be drastically affected by the following..
    1. CTR click thru rate. the higher the ctr the higher the QS and the lower the cost per click.
    2. To get the QS up you need to make sure that you AD matches the searcher keyword phrase. The closer the match the higher the QS.
    3. The landing page needs to match the key phrase the searcher has typed in.. if they type "San Diego Town houses", for God don't send them to the index page of your brand new handy dandy real estate site.. Send them to a landing page with nothing but color photos of San Diego town houses... PERIOD!
    Ok enough for now.. so hurry over to UTUBE and type in "Adwords Quality Score" and watch a few. There will be so many.. try to find a few from Google Staff. Then come back with specific questions.
    Good luck..

James Chambers, Apr 6, 2013 IP
    shteca likes this.
  3. James Chambers

James Chambers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am new here so I took a minute out to do a little research for you to help you out... so... I went to google and searched for site:youtube.com "Adwords Quality Score" and came up with 32,000 items related to Quality score. I picked this one out for you... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL363BA0E38E50D914 when you arrive scroll down the list until you get to item number 6 which is Google Chief Economist, Hal Varian, explains what Quality Score is and which role it plays in Google Adwords system, how it affects bids and positions for keywords. It is the very best explanation I have ever heard on how quality score works. They are broken up into 2 or 3 minute videos, so just listen and it will go from one to the next automatically. Also notice that there are 77 others by the google staff. IF you click on the 77 number it will display all 77 for you to choose. If you do not know how I suggest you learn how to sign into youtube and be able to mark all of them to watch later... that way you don't have to look them up again... that should keep you busy for awhile.. hope it helps...

James Chambers, Apr 6, 2013 IP
    shteca likes this.
  4. shteca

shteca Active Member

Best Answers:
    GRRRRR
    I wish I had 3 likes so I could like your reply!
    Thank you so much for that! it has really helped me!

shteca, Apr 7, 2013 IP
  5. James Chambers

James Chambers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well thanks... that is what fuel I run on....other folks showing appreciation...I don't have any likes yet but I am sure it won't be long... cause I live and breath this stuff programming and adwords... Someone told me a few minutes ago that they pulled up my all my posts thru out the fourm and some in PHP and said its like going to night school... they claimed they learned more about adwords last night just reading the posts by me in 8 hours than they had learned in the last 10 years... that was nice... Hopefully I will get more likes than hates, but I will get both... as I tell it like it is... no holds barred.... and I see some folks out in left field.. and when I tell them i give a reference to where my info came from... don't want them to think I am a know it all as I am far from that but i have been around the block a few time....65 years old and sporting a 7 way heart bypass and still hanging in there.... the 33 years USN took quite a bit out of me also... the thing I hate most is seeing folks offer to help you free then ask for money.. I hope that if anyone does that to anyone here they will report it here to alert us and hopefully get that bast...rd banned from the forum for lying.. I hate that.

James Chambers, Apr 7, 2013 IP
    shteca likes this.
  6. James Chambers

James Chambers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    How do the likes work... you only get 1 a month or what....do I have any to give out.. or do I have to earn some before I can give some. You must be doing something right .. I see you have two... If i keep writing like this they may need to add another server just to hold my posts... I did 18 posts in the last 12 hours and they are not tiny bulls..t posts, they are real live unique content.... and i am sure forum master has checked some of my content for uniqueness... as they must be wondering how one person can write so darn much in 8 hours.... I love it....

7. James Chambers

James Chambers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well I musta done something good... the Sheriff just came and gave me 2 trophy points... I musta done something good...not sure what... but maybe the Sheriff felt bad that you wanted to give me an attaboy but had none to give... well hell just my luck... maybe one day you will have one and can come bad and award me posthumourstly... boy I just butchered that word... hopefully I will be able to help you more in the future when you begin running that $3000.00 per month adwords campain.... LOL

8. thosino

thosino Member

Best Answers:
    There are some point which lies effect on Quality score-

1- Relevant landing page with Unique content
    2- keyword relevancy according to your business
    3- It also count your ad word account history to count QS.

thosino, Apr 18, 2013 IP
  9. shteca

shteca Active Member

Best Answers:

I just looked at my account and I also have now got 5 likes so I can now start showing my appreciation to those who take the time to write actual content rather than those 1 line nonsense responses.

shteca, Apr 18, 2013 IP
  10. wtg

wtg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are new to ad-words and just starting out to create accounts/ads ,I would say adapt some facts from the beginning and you will never have to worry about QS anymore.

step 1. Draw your/clients site structure on a paper
    step 2. outline your important pages where you need traffic (This will be your landing pages for each adgroup we gonna build in next steps)
    step 3. research keywords, as many as you could for each of those pages and save in notepad
    step 4. create a campaign in adwords and adjust upper level settings
    step 5. create 1 ad group for each of the pages you outlines in step 2 (More adgroups on later stage,for now create one for each landing page)
    step 6. put the keywords you collected in step 3 for each ad-group, write 2 ad copies for the ad-group and point it to the right landing page for this one and make sure the keyword is included (try atleast) in the ad copy somewhere using the {keyword} modifier. .
    step 7. set a budget and hit GO.

What it will do is, it will make your Keywords relevent to the landing pages, and thats the mantra for the QS. it's a tricky thing and complicated to understand if you try to diff much, here is how :

Scenario A - NON relevant,

1. you bid on keywords,
    2. your ad appears (which is non relevant for example),
    3. people search and then see your ads, but since its not relevant, they ignore
    4. your CTR goes lower, that means your QS gets lower
    5. Sicne your CTR and QS goes lower, your keyword will cost you higer for same or even low position
    6. this cycle repeats and repeats.
    7. Since the ad and landing page was non relevant , people leave the site more often and causes more money in advertising thus low ROI or maybe lOSS.

you say Adword does not work anymore :(

Scenario B - relevant AD copy, landing page and adgroups.

1. you bid on keywords
    2. your ad appears which have the exact same thing people was looking for (in bold too), they see it they click
    3. since they click, the CTR GOES UP.
    4. Since the keyword was relevent to the landing page, it helped in QS too so the QS goes UP.
    5. they land on a relevent page for which they were looking for without navigating much
    6. they find what they were looking so they make purhcase more often
    7. this cycle repaets and you pay less for higer positions and greater ad (top ads gets better display )
    8. you make more money and says yeah adwords is the thing of todays marketing ...

People often say a 10 out of 10 QS is too much to get after ad getting live, but in real its not if done correctly.Look at this image below i took from one of my client's account (USA targeting for an eCommerce site).

[​IMG]

If you have noticed, i have emphasized on "Relevancy" .Relevancy- Everywhere. that means keyword research and landing page setup - adgroup, ads, and everything else you can think of . Take care of that and that;s all there is about quality score.

PS: English is not my primary language so pardon my typos .

wtg, Apr 19, 2013 IP
    shteca likes this.
  11. GoWithABC

GoWithABC Active Member

Best Answers:
    CTR! CTR! CTR!

All levels of CTR are going to determine your long-term Quality Scores. They take your account history, the website history, the keyword history for each word you use and the CTR for each of them and it is all an important factor in your overall QS.

My basic recommendations are always simple: Be specific with keyword bidding, stay away from broad match keyword terms if possible particularly in the beginning of setting up your campaign.

Having small adgroups with limited keywords will prevent you from getting bad scores for having too bad words in a group.

Think about your ad in terms of real estate space: Each time your ad shows, it is a chance for Google to make money from a click. If your ad shows up 1 million times, and never gets a click, Google made $0 and they took up space making no money.

Since your CTR is so low, and such a bad history of CTR, you are going to have a bad quality score, and you are going to pay for it.

The opposite is also true: If you have an ad that gets a lot of clicks, and a very HIGH CTR %, that means your ad stands out and is making a lot of money for Google and taking less time.

They will reward you by giving you a high QS.

When people tell you to make the ad "relevant" that does not always mean just adding a keyword to the ad.

You want the ad to be relevant because you want to try to get the CLICK as often as possible.

Focus on your CTR and eliminate high impressions keywords if at all possible and you will see CTR go up over time and the QS follow suit!

GoWithABC, Apr 19, 2013 IP
    shteca likes this.
  12. shteca

shteca Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am currently focusing on CTR thanks to everyone AMAZING advice. I am trying to increase ad relevance to increase CTR.
    The only thing is the cost of achieving the high CTR...
    Today I got it to 4% on average.
    I am working on my landing page too. I have just got a wireframe designer to work on my quote pages to hopefully increase conversions and therefore allow me to spend more on advertising.

shteca, Apr 21, 2013 IP