1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Boston Bombings

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Corwin, Apr 16, 2013.

As DP's resident Bostonian I can share things you won't find anywhere...

I usually go to watch the Boston Marathon every year, there's a cigar bar I hang out at, nice place, good people. You can see the runners from the windows. I stayed home this year.

The first bomb went off in front of the small Charlesmark Hotel, nice place run by some friendly Iranians. I'm pretty sure the second bomb went off in front of a Starbucks, it's about 100ft down the block. What both have in common is a fenced-in patio. I'm guessing that whatever sicko did this left packages underneath chairs on these patios.

I made some phone calls, nobody I know was hurt.

There are few cars on the streets tonight in the Boston suburbs, no one's out for a walk. It's like the aftermath of 9/11.

Corwin, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  2. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Crazy as it is, I think comparing to 911 aftermath is a little over the top, well more than just a little. Apparently 55 people were blown up and killed in Iraq on the same day, not that it lessens the hurt of those affected but some perspective is warranted imho.

To the point, whoever did this has limited time before he, or they, are caught. In the meantime you still have a dangerous mad man or group on the loose. Avoiding large crowds might be advantagous.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Bushranger, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  3. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a native New Yorker, yes, I agree, but Boston parents that love their children are being extremely paranoid about this. These bombs were probably so small and easy to conceal that a repeat seems too damn easy.

Corwin, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  4. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    In a CBS article they're saying it was "pressure cooker bombs" in black backpacks, and loaded with nails and BBs. Corwin, you may be right, they could have left packages underneath the chairs. It doesn't sound like they know yet for sure. In the article they were speculating they could have been left on the sidewalk or in the garbage can.

Rebecca, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  5. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hope they catch the m' f'ers ASAP. Very sad situation to see that 3 died including an 8 year old and there were amputations as a result of the carnage.

Meanwhile its a mystery so far and this headline speaks to what a friggin mystery it is to date ....http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_...ntify-culprit-behind-boston-marathon-bombing/

I hope the authorities are able to nail these bastard(s) real soon whomever they are.

earlpearl, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  6. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like they might have a suspect in custody.

You know, I suddenly realized something, they had the Democratic convention here a few years back,and I remember the Boston Herald doing an article on how the entire city is being flooded with cameras.

Also Obama came to speak at the Hynes Auditorium last year (on Boylston Street, the same street as the bombings) so it makes sense this area would especially be flooded with cameras from all angles.

I'll keep everyone updated on anything else local not normally in the news.

Corwin, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  7. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  8. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure about that. Fatalities were low, but news about people being carried off with their limps blown off made a huge emotional impact.

Blogmaster, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  9. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The latest I have heard is that police have a suspect on video dropping off a backpack that they believe the bombs were loaded into. The suspect can clearly be seen walking up and leaving the backpack. It's only a matter of time before they get them. These days nothing happens off camera, especially in a crowded city at a major sporting event.

r3dt@rget, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's all over Facebook, so whoever it is will be identified.

11. Ntech25

Ntech25 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm from New York but visited Boston once and it was a very beautiful place. I was mainly by the harbor area and had a great experience.

It's really sad what happened and I really hope they catch the person or persons involved and give them what they deserve.

NY1 saying no arrest made but FBI should be making some kind of announcement soon.

Ntech25, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    As long as that announcement won't lead to another war, I am cool with it.

13. Ntech25

Ntech25 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think this will be something local maybe or I could be totally wrong but I would think if it was more organized there would have been a lot more people and be able to do more damage.

We should know real soon. These days with all the smart phones and cameras everywhere they can find anything.

Ntech25, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    The damage is huge. Look at the publicity.

15. Ntech25

Ntech25 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree 100% it's huge, if anyone dies it's not a good thing and a lot of people got hurt. That isn't what I was trying to saying.

Ntech25, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  16. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The news conference by the FBI and local agencies just said no arrests have been made. I am with Ntech25 in thinking that this was not organized by a terrorist group. Probably a lone wolf or local group. It was a tragic event (3 deaths) and multiple people with horrific injuries (leg blown off), however the 176 injured statistic can be anything from a tiny scratch needing a band-aid, to an arm being blown off. Most injuries are going to be small cuts, bruises, even just being looked at by a paramedic. I am not trying to downplay the tragedy of the event, but if this were an organized terror effort by groups known for these types of attacts in the middle east, you would see more damage.

Does Mass. have the death penalty? I bet citizens wish they did if they don't.

r3dt@rget, Apr 17, 2013 IP
    Ntech25 likes this.
  17. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It was two pressure cooker bombs. They were stuffed full of nails and BBs. That would have been pretty heavy for just one person to carry in a backpack. Of course, it's possible. They might have made two trips. Or, it could have been pushed in something. In the news I think I read that they have one highly suspect individual on video. But there are others they are trying to find to speak with. I'm wondering if it was just one person that did this, or if it was a group. From the way it sounds, it does look like that area is heavily videotaped (as was mentioned earlier in this thread). One article even mentioned they can just scan the suspects picture into an airport database, and if he passes by, it will alert authorities and he will be detained. The technology is amazing. Hopefully, they will catch the person(s) responsible soon.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    Rebecca, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  18. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I saw that, too, and I believed it also.

Turns out yesterday CNN screwed the pooch big time:
    http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/04/conflicting_reports_fuel_chaos_confusion

Nobody knows who CNN's "sources" were that they claim told them a suspect was in custody, or of interest, or under arrest, etc. Turns out none of it was true.

Here in Boston I was glued to the television yesterday along with many others. I watched the local Boston news stations as they carried CNN live in a box on the screen. This wasn't funny.

From the above reference:
    Joe Flaherty, former head of the state police detectives unit under the Suffolk District Attorney’s Office, said false reports could have a “huge impact” and hinder efforts to track and interview suspects.
    “You really have to tighten that up,” Flaherty said. “It doesn’t do anyone any good to have misinformation out there.”

Also here in Boston people are afraid to take the train or the "T" (the subway). After-work travel is way down. People in Boston are freaked.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    Corwin, Apr 18, 2013 IP
  19. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This terrorist evil bombing cr@p occurs all over the world and has for years: In today's news from Baghdad: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/18/world/meast/iraq-violence/index.html

None of the above reflects on the specifics of the Boston situation.

I continue to hope the authorities can find and nail the bastard(s) that planted the Boston bombs. I see where the FBI officially released small pieces from camera's identifying suspicious characters.

earlpearl, Apr 18, 2013 IP
  20. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Suspects:

[​IMG]

The guy on the left in the white cap is on camera dropping off his backpack by a trashcan, right where the blast was.

r3dt@rget, Apr 18, 2013 IP