1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please review my blog Minterest's new design

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Minterest, Apr 13, 2013.

Hi,

My blog's theme was obsolete and I never cared about that... But some friends suggested that I have good content but the layout needs to be changed to make it more readable.

So I finally changed my mind and decided to switch to Genesis or Thesis Framework from Colorlabs.

So.. I tweaked the site a lot and now the blog loads in 1-2 seconds, improved navigation, implemented Google Webfonts, Added more colors, etc.

So please review my blog http://www.minterest.com/ and give your feedback.

~ Minterest

Minterest, Apr 13, 2013 IP
  2. sam2oke

sam2oke Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion your blog overall is good design...
    But, my inputs to your blog are:
    1. Give different color to link hover in menu navigation
    2. I prefer move the 'search form' to the top of sidebar
    3. It's interesting to give appropriate link hover color to each social media button on sidebar.
    4. Fix the content in category list, example url: http://www.minterest.com/category/internet-marketing/affiliate-marketing/. There are two blank space in the list number 3 and 4...

sam2oke, Apr 14, 2013 IP
  3. Minterest

Minterest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Hi,

Thanks a ton for your feedback...

Regarding the issues...

1. I wanted to give a different color for link hover in manu navigation... but had to remove it.. becuasse when i gave the hover color.. the "HOME" button color became hover color when we visit home page.. So.. needs some coding for that.. which i will try...

2. I will move the search bar to top once I add more content... coz right now... users are not using the search much... coz i dont update frequently... and i dont have loyal readership... as its not a niche blog...

3. Social media button color.. I dont think that i can do it myself... coz.. I used a plugin called Simple Social Icons and its not a part of the theme...

4. I didnt get the 4th point... Can you explain 'coz I dont see any format problem here?

Once again I appreicate your honest feedback... :)

Minterest, Apr 14, 2013 IP
  4. ValentinMuller

ValentinMuller Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I have to be honest here about your design, it looks kinda old.
    I would have liked to see a hover on the buttons, they look to plain as they are right now.
    I also have the feeling that there's not too much design, a lot of things can be improved, HOWEVER, at the moment is really easy to read the articles. It's REALLY easy to understand which makes me feel that the design is not the best, but the content is really well displayed.

ValentinMuller, Apr 14, 2013 IP
  5. Minterest

Best Answers:

Great! Yeah, I am working on HOVER issue. And regarding design.. why do you feel that its kind of old? Any tips to tweak it?

And btw.. am happy that content is displayed well now.. coz that was my primary goal as people told me earlier that my content was not readable.. :)

6. ValentinMuller

ValentinMuller Member

Best Answers:

Well it looks old because of the colors, I'd use something more fresh, maybe another type of blue. That blue isn't the best blue from the palette.
    Another thing, the social media icons, I like the minimalism of those, but again, I'm not really feeling that blue. They are also really big, and the corners are TOO rounded imo.

For the background I'd try something like a good color with a pattern or something, the current background's color is really boring, looks like the old colors from Windows, definitely I'd use a different background. If you change that background, you may improve the design itself without changing anything else.

Hope you understand what I mean :)

ValentinMuller, Apr 14, 2013 IP
  7. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Yeah, I got it.... I think I will find a designer to help me choose better colors... :)

Thanks for the feedback. :)

8. AON21

AON21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The good
    The name is a KILLER! :D

Content was solid :)

You have avoided the cliche of making it derivative of Pinterest and made it a site in its own right - well done!

It was easy to read and looked good on PC and iPad

Reviews were well laid out

The not-so-good
    Honestly I wasn't so worried about the colours as much as I would have liked a change on mouse-over. I'm not looking as a designer, I'm looking as a potential user of the site and found it distracting to not know if I was on the correct link in the drop-downs. I imagine this is a simple CSS fix

Try wrapping the header graphics so they feel integrated with the content instead of tacked on at the top.

Try wrapping content around the ads too - it was distracting the way it was laid out - then a big break in the content and back to the content again.

Good luck, I'll be watching you :)

AON21, Apr 15, 2013 IP
  9. Minterest

Best Answers:

Hi,

Thanks for that... By the way.. The name "Minterest" is not a derivative of Pinterest... My blog is almost 7 years old and Pinterest is just 3 year old. ;)

And yeah, I will fix the HOVER issue soon.. I have already asked for help on the theme support forum...

And regarding the ads...

To not break content then I think I will have to place an ad unit above the first para itself.. or else have to stick with one ad unit per page (apart from header banner).

Right now.. am not showing too much ads.. its limted to 3 per page without any annoying sidebar banners or forced social media popups.

Can you please be specific about ad placement as am a bit confused?

Thanks! :)

Minterest, Apr 15, 2013 IP
  10. AON21

AON21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Haha I didn't say the name was a derivative :D
    I was loosely referring to the fact that as you are relaunching, that your avoidance of derivation you got a thumbs-up :)
    (I was expecting to see a site with the Pinterest style layout or something Pinteresty and it was a pleasant surprise to see that's not the case :) )

Re: Ads; I was very specific, actually ;)
    I said wrap the ads in the text - i.e. make them feel part of the site.

No idea where the topic of popups came from :eek:

Cheers

AON21, Apr 15, 2013 IP
  11. Minterest

Best Answers:

Oh no.. I didnt mean that you said popups or like that.. i was just telling that... the site is free from ugly sidebar banner ads or social media popups.. regarding ads... need to tweak its alignment i think...

I believed that teh ads was almost integrated with content.. anyways let me ask few more people and get their feedback about ads.

And hey.. I have another Minterest too here http://minterest.co/ (it's a Tumblr style WordPress blog) do check and give your feedback. ;)

And do let me know if you need any help from me.. :)

Thanks! :)

12. bluebenz

bluebenz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree, Minterest is a good and nice design..
    I just post on review subforum, that if you have a good content then you need a nice layout (as you said, readable)..
    I believe you do some marketing till got a PR 3..

congrats for your new layout.. :)

bluebenz, Apr 15, 2013 IP
  13. Minterest

Best Answers:

Thanks for that! :)

And yeah, I got a PR3 naturally sometime back.. I used to build some links some 3-4 years back.. and then stopped all those things.. now all I do is organically building links.. like I posted here.... and on other forums, scoial media, etc.

14. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Minterest, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  15. ValentinMuller

ValentinMuller Member

Best Answers:
    Looks great, you should add hover to the search button and the page counter on the bottom :)

ValentinMuller, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  16. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Minterest, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  17. ValentinMuller

ValentinMuller Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that background is not the best for the design imo... but it's just my opinion, if more people keep telling you that the background is not the best you may consider to change it :)

ValentinMuller, Apr 16, 2013 IP
  18. Minterest

Best Answers:

Alright. But tell me which looks good? A darkish background or another light one like the current one...?

Minterest, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  19. Minterest

Best Answers:
    Minterest, Apr 17, 2013 IP
  20. ValentinMuller

ValentinMuller Member

Best Answers:
    ValentinMuller, Apr 17, 2013 IP